• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray Player

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
At our last gathering at a friend's house where we were measuring the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, I was also asked to measure an Oppo BDP-105 player as a DAC. This player despite its age has a very positive reputation as far as fidelity. I made a complete set of measurements. I won't bore you with all of them as most were pretty good and competent until I landed on linearity test:

Oppo BDP-105 Linearity measurement.png

Yup, my jaws fell off. I repeated the measurement and still got the same. The cyan line is supposed to be the relationship between digital input and analog output. Normally it is a straight line until we get down to below -100 dB or even more. Yet here, even at the start of the test with full amplitude signal, we see clear steps in it. What it means is that the output changes proportional to input but then all of a sudden it gets stuck in a mud, refusing to change its output as we change input. The variations from zero error are shown in yellow which for an ideal line would be a flat line. Instead we have those triangles.

I put on the graph that it may be a stuck bit but I can't even explain it in that context. Clearly something is badly broken.

Looking at time domain with -90 dB we get this:

Oppo BDP-105 -90 dB Linearity measurement.png

Here the sine waves look reasonable but they are shifted relative to each other. That is a larger error than I have ever seen measuring DACs.

In subjective listening I found the Oppo to sound muddy compared to my Topping DX7 that I had brought. I chalked to placebo as this was before the measurements. After the measurements I wonder if that observation was true.

Conclusions
There are people who are flippant about value of the measurements we make in the context of DACs. They think that it must be a walk in the park to achieve say, 16 bit accuracy. As we see here and in measurement of some other DACs, it is possible to screw up implementations of actual products. And that it is measurements like Linearity that bring an insight that is not visible in other measurements.

NOTE: it is possible this player was broken. I too have a BDP-105 (d) that I will test at some point.

----
If you like this review, please consider donating funds for these types of hardware purchase using Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
That's vexing. I had a BDP-83 but one of the lasers or detectors went out and I never got around to fixing it. I have a UDP-203 now. Not a lot of choices for SACD players.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Last edited:

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, are we in a situation where subjective listening and RMAA are worthless and even FR, THD/IMD, jitter tests don't tell the whole story?

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
At our last gathering at a friend's house where we were measuring the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, I was also asked to measure an Oppo BDP-105 player as a DAC. This player despite its age has a very positive reputation as far as fidelity. I made a complete set of measurements. I won't bore you with all of them as most were pretty good and competent until I landed on linearity test:

View attachment 11145

Yup, my jaws fell off. I repeated the measurement and still got the same. The cyan line is supposed to be the relationship between digital input and analog output. Normally it is a straight line until we get down to below -100 dB or even more. Yet here, even at the start of the test with full amplitude signal, we see clear steps in it. What it means is that the output changes proportional to input but then all of a sudden it gets stuck in a mud, refusing to change its output as we change input. The variations from zero error are shown in yellow which for an ideal line would be a flat line. Instead we have those triangles.

I put on the graph that it may be a stuck bit but I can't even explain it in that context. Clearly something is badly broken.

Looking at time domain with -90 dB we get this:

View attachment 11146

Here the sine waves look reasonable but they are shifted relative to each other. That is a larger error than I have ever seen measuring DACs.

In subjective listening I found the Oppo to sound muddy compared to my Topping DX7 that I had brought. I chalked to placebo as this was before the measurements. After the measurements I wonder if that observation was true.

Conclusions
There are people who are flippant about value of the measurements we make in the context of DACs. They think that it must be a walk in the park to achieve say, 16 bit accuracy. As we see here and in measurement of some other DACs, it is possible to screw up implementations of actual products. And that it is measurements like Linearity that bring an insight that is not visible in other measurements.

NOTE: it is possible this player was broken. I too have a BDP-105 (d) that I will test at some point.

----
If you like this review, please consider donating funds for these types of hardware purchase using Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).

@amirm , could it be software related to be rectified by firmware?

Se Archimago’s findings on an Oppo DAC:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/06/measurements-oppo-sonica-dac-ess-sabre.html?m=1

FWIW, Oppo was quite forthcoming in correcting the glitch uncovered by Arch.

Reactions: trl
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , could it be software related to be rectified by firmware?
Could be. I am using it as a DAC which most people don't so perhaps there is a problem with S/PDIF input implementation.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Both (all) channels?

ob_4863d2_surprise.gif

NorthSky

Major Contributor

NorthSky

Major Contributor

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
In other words, seems like Oppo lacks attention to detail and/or competency.

Not reassuring, is it?

Maybe Sony is the safer choice of the two?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In other words, seems like Oppo lacks attention to detail and/or competency.

Not reassuring, is it?

Maybe Sony is the safer choice of the two?

Measuring your actual unit is the only sure choice.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
The Oppo 105 and some good Sony SACD players are highly respected among serious audiophiles. This linearity and sine wave anomaly I don't think it affects the overall performance in detrimental ways.

I'm sure other much more expensive players/DACs measure worst or even better. The Oppo 105 is much more than just a DAC. But even as just a DAC, it fares pretty well from all the expert reviews with several measurements.

There are sources we acclimate our own listening experience with, and we take the small stuff @ its fair value. If it was bigger stuff, we would find more experts agreeing as well.

I am confident with both Oppo 105 and 205 as super machines overall for what they were designed for. My ears are very satisfied, the small things they don't impede in my listening.

Enjoy the music, enjoy the movies.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom