• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Gustard X26 Pro Dual 9038 Pro By L7Audiolab

taner

Hello guys,
For those who own an x26 pro. Do you think we can somehow rotate the xlr inputs within the DAC ?

This dac (most of dacs actually if they don't have a analog passtrough function) doesn't have XLR inputs. They are outputs. I'm really not sure about what do you mean by saying "rotate". Do you mean that physically rotating them? It is not possible because XLR outputs are soldered on PCB.

My dac didn't arrive yet but I comment anyway.

Wps998

I just bought one following the review.
I found the matrix x-sabre pro to be to pricey here in europe. Was looking for a less expensive high end alternative (with mqa support) to pair with my new burson soloist 3x performance and ZMF VC. I hope it is a good synergy.
How do you find the x26 pro and soloist 3xp combination? I also have the solosit. Thanks

Red@

How do you find the x26 pro and soloist 3xp combination? I also have the solosit. Thanks
I am still waiting for my soloist delivery sometime by the end of may (been waiting 3 months)
Will keep you posted.
But I am enjoying the x26 pro so far.

Wps998

I am still waiting for my soloist delivery sometime by the end of may (been waiting 3 months)
Will keep you posted.
But I am enjoying the x26 pro so far.
Thank you, would appreciated very much

yyzsb

I have the Benchmark DAC3B and the Gustard X26 Pro on the same system. Connected to either a Benchmark HPA4 or CODA 07x preamp (I flip back and forth). The Gustard sounds better than the DAC3B and I am a big fan of the DAC3B. The Gustard is one of the very best DACs I have heard.

I recently also had a Matric Audio Mini-3 Pro DAC and it cannot compare to the Gustard or even the DAC3B. I gave the Matrix away to my buddy.

I am using Sonore OpticalRendu's to stream from a Ubiquiti network switch with fibre connection at the switch to my DACs.

OP
P

pimy

Thank's yyzsb

Most reviews highlight the excellent quality of the X26 Pro Gustard. I hope Amirm can test it

taner

I hope Amirm can test it

Amirm doesn't say too much about how does it sound and how does it compare. There are measurements from reliable sources already. If you're looking for very best measured unit, there are much cheaper ones with -120dB SINAD.

I have x26 pro for couple weeks. This is my first commercial unit at this price range so I can't do a apple-to-apple comparison like others do. All I can say about x26pro is one word "authority". From bottom to top end it delivers crystal clear sound. I can't stand any source that sounds like behind a curtain and represents a foggy image but x26pro is not like that. I makes me listen music much more.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since DACs are supposed to be transparent, all of the posts here describing major audible differences when listening to the x26 suggest that the x26 isn't transparent at all.

taner

Since DACs are supposed to be transparent, all of the posts here describing major audible differences when listening to the x26 suggest that the x26 isn't transparent at all.

Maybe other ones aren't transparent at all.. how would you know? This statement would make sense if x26pro wasn't one of the best measured DACs around, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe others aren't transparent at all.. how would you know?
Because blind listening tests of modern inexpensive DAC’s demonstrate complete transparency over and over again.

This statement would make sense if x26pro wasn't one of the best measured DACs around, wouldn't it?

If I created a DAC that had a SINAD of -500dB, would that make it sound even cleaner and less distorted? Hmmm,

taner

Because blind listening tests of modern inexpensive DAC’s demonstrate complete transparency over and over again.

Please define "transparency". And relate your and some other's "perception" with this definition.

If I created a DAC that had a SINAD of -500dB, would that make it sound even cleaner and less distorted? Hmmm,

Of course not..why it should? Human hearing threshold is around -115dB and even -144dB is not possible due to the thermal noise. According to these facts every device that could attain below -115dB should be considered as transparent. If not, then it is you who have to explain that..not me.

Red@

Let's chill guys hahaha.
In my opinion there are other parameters that may not be looked for when measuring (or visible in measurements for that matter ).
IMD, distortion in sub 1khz simple tone, distorition in above 15khz simple tone,
Reaction to different type of loads... Other stuff that I may not have enough knowledge to understand.
Maybe the subtle differences in those parameters make an audible difference.
There is also volume control thechnology wheb used within the dac...

DeepSpace57

all well-design DS DACS sound almost the same or indistinguishable. Giving a bunch of money to renew DACs in the system does not make any sense.

taner

In my opinion there are other parameters that may not be looked for when measuring (or visible in measurements for that matter ).

I agree. I can count some of them:

Impedance. One of the most overlooked parameters. Measurement instruments have high impedance inputs in order to not disturb the device on the bench. Measured devices will be connected to some much lower impedance devices when they in use and will behave different accordingly. High quality DACs must retain their specified performance at the load with their lowest specified impedance value.

Analog stage bandwidth and slew rate. One of the most important specs of analog stages that defines how "fast" it is. It will be hard to measure slew rate of the DACs output stage but @amirm could provide measurements for fully analog equipment like headphone amps.

Unity gain and gain/phase margin stability. These parameters are indicators of the how analog stage compromised in order to provide high bandwidth and slew rate.

taner

If we dig deeper, we are going to encounter more sophisticated parameters like Group Delay:

wannarock2

I’ve now been listening to the x26Pro for a couple weeks after replacing a previous ES9038 DAC with 110dB SINAD and a 114 Dynamic Range. The x26P is a nice step-up in sound. Subjectively, it feels like the x26P enforces more authority and immediacy on the music stream.
Excellent channel separation enhances the overall 3D/holographic presentation.
Psychoacoustics at work. ⌐■_■) ♪

On the downside the x26Pro runs as hot as a cattle branding-iron. That concerns me somewhat for the other internal components. Time will tell how that all works out, but the listening is good for now.

OP
P

pimy

Hi to the owners of the X26 Pro, Taner, wannarock2, Red @ ...

after several weeks of use, do you have any comments to add on the positives and negatives

thanks for your comments

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, I am a lurker but just joined to pop into this discussion. Just received my X26 Pro today, which I upgraded from the X16 I received less than a month prior... I may be foolish and irresponsible with my money, but I'll be damned if I can't hear a huge differece already in the first few tracks I'm listening to that I know well. There is simply more detail. But I also notice that it is slightly softer, almost warmer or more musical (**I'm sorry, I am new and don't know better adjectives at this point) than the X16. It almost sounds flatter. It is brand new and still cool to the touch, although she is heating up quick :cool: I will report back after further burn in.

Using PC USB into X26 Pro > Singxer SA-1 via XLR > DCA Aeon Open X + Focal Elegia (both running balanced Hart Audio cable systems)
burn in?

Top Bottom