• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Gustard P26 Preamplifier

Red@

Hello guys,
Any way to know precisely how to make sure I would be feeding 7volts xlr to my headphone Amp from the P26 ?

MrOtto

Would it be any advantages using Gustard P26 as preamp over the Gustard H16? H16 has 2x analog inputs (XLR+RCA), but P26 has 3x, 2x XLR 1x RCA?

yodog

Would it be any advantages using Gustard P26 as preamp over the Gustard H16? H16 has 2x analog inputs (XLR+RCA), but P26 has 3x, 2x XLR 1x RCA?

What do you think of the X26’s preamp and the sound of it? How do you like (or dislike) your Gustard X26 overall?

MrOtto

I don't have a X26 DAC, I have a X16 DAC. But I want to use a preamp to have control over the volume. I don't want to start my music with the DAC at 0dB and blow my speakers. I also want an analogue input for RIAA.

Should I try a Gustard P26 or keep the H16 as preamp?

alexbilchuk

What do you think of the X26’s preamp and the sound of it? How do you like (or dislike) your Gustard X26 overall?
Did you mean P26 preamp (because X26 is a DAC)?
I'm happy with P26 really, good quality, absolutely neutral in sound. Recomend!

nn_in

More than a month ago, an old friend asked me, would you measure a Gustard P26 preamp?In fact, I didn't know Gustard was going to launch this product until he asked me.I then contacted Gustard, who said at the time that P26 had not been officially completed. After the official release, I will send me a retail version for measurement.

Just a few days ago @Max Also ask me if I will measure this unit?In fact P26 was on the road the next day.

Today I got the P26, and the measurement took me a lot of time. Because the preamplifier is very different from the DAC, there is basically no SOP at all. If there are any shortcomings in the following measurements, if you want to know something else, please let me know.

Look at things first:

View attachment 43208

View attachment 43209

Actually I always wanted a decent preamp

In fact, I always wanted a decent preamp, but the tragic fact is that it is almost full of garbage (maybe I didn't find it) under $ 1,000. It is not just a defect in the measurement data, but a question of completion.

What I mean by completeness refers to the appearance, function (input and output interface), operation friendliness, function implementation results (such as noise when switching volume), and even the ability to clearly show what you want What you know (input, output, volume, etc.)

This even forced me to do a preamp to achieve what I wanted.But although I realized most of what I wanted, it still couldn't satisfy me. Because the interior is composed of various small modules, and some modules are purchased (such as input and output switching and display), it cannot be said to be a "finished product" at all, but only a "usable" thing
And the cost of making it is close to $ 1,000 (not including the time I spent!!)

And Gustard's long-term adherence to the discrete voltage amplifier circuit has made me have a little more expectations for the sound of this preamp.

Well, don't talk nonsense. Measure it!

View attachment 43211
Update: Left channel PS Noise issue has been fixed and the manufacturer has been notified of the fix. Since repairs do not require costs, manufacturers will immediately produce to new standards. :
View attachment 43319

View attachment 43212

View attachment 43213
View attachment 43214

We can see that there seem to be two sets of very different input stages. One is responsible for the input of the balanced signal, and the other is responsible for the input of the unbalanced signal.

In fact, I also got this information from the developer, and the circuit of unbalanced input will also be used for "input gain + 6db setting". This means that the input gain +6 will also affect some basic measurement results in the same way as above.
Fortunately, we generally do not need a large input gain. And if you really feel that the sound is too low (this preamp is actually close to 0db gain by default) you can start "output gain +6" Settings ---- This function does not affect the basic measurement results.

View attachment 43215

View attachment 43216

View attachment 43217

The following measurements were made at XLRin XLROut 4VRMS:

First and foremost: volume control:
View attachment 43218

View attachment 43220

View attachment 43219

You can see that the volume control is very linear and the channel balance (green line) is very good. At the same time, the effect of volume adjustment on SINAD is minimal. The disadvantage is that the limit value of the volume control (-60db)may not be low enough in some cases.

Output impedance:
View attachment 43221

THD+N Vs Freq:

View attachment 43222
View attachment 43223

View attachment 43224

View attachment 43225

View attachment 43226
View attachment 43227

View attachment 43228

View attachment 43229

All of the above, I think for a preamp of less than $ 700, it is very, very, very good.

I've measured DACs from Gustard before, and to be honest, I'm a little disappointed-let's say the A22 finally achieved the result with double 4499.

I also said that Gustard's insistence on discrete output stages may be the main reason that affects the measurement results of their products.

But on this product today, I really have nothing to say.

A low-cost, high-performance, good-looking preamp. Sorry I have never met before.

What's past is prologue. The future can be expected.
Fyi-I have posted in PA5 thread also) However found this thread to be more relevant to Pre-Amp info.
Thank you for the review.
Need guidance from ASR forum folks.
Which xlr preamp with analog type volume dial and remote control can be for used in between Ares2 DAC (XLR out) and PA5 w/o any impedance mismatches. Just pulled togther some of the response i got in this forum.

Topping A90D and Topping Pre 90 ( will not work as it has impedance issues when connected to Ares2)
Topping D30 Pro ( may work with Ares2. May not work correcly when coax input is used with CD player)
Freya S (this is solid state and not the tube version).Possibly the best option
Gustard P26 (will this work w/o impedance mismatch issues)

Veri

Master Contributor
Fyi-I have posted in PA5 thread also) However found this thread to be more relevant to Pre-Amp info.
Which xlr preamp with analog type volume dial and remote control can be for used in between Ares2 DAC (XLR out) and PA5 w/o any impedance mismatches. Just pulled togther some of the response i got in this forum.
You could use Pre90/A90D's RCA input with Ares 2 for better impedance match, but you will lose some voltage. It will work very well though.
If you must have balanced XLR throughout the Gustard P26 is a good option. I'd personally pick it over the Freya. But aesthetics matter too :)

nn_in

You could use Pre90/A90D's RCA input with Ares 2 for better impedance match, but you will lose some voltage. It will work very well though.
If you must have balanced XLR throughout the Gustard P26 is a good option. I'd personally pick it over the Freya. But aesthetics matter too :)
XLR is needed .Gustard seems better value.with remote control
Pre90 also has XLR input ,output and remote control .

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Topping A90D and Topping Pre 90 ( will not work as it has impedance issues when connected to Ares2)
Topping D30 Pro ( may work with Ares2. May not work correcly when coax input is used with CD player)
Freya S (this is solid state and not the tube version).Possibly the best option
Gustard P26 (will this work w/o impedance mismatch issues)

I've got a Freya S and have nothing bad to say about it. Very nice little box. The remote is even decent.

nn_in

What about Gustard H16

nn_in

As per this post there is a isuue

Veri

Master Contributor

As per this post there is a isuue
? second post says RCA input should be fine to use, I'm not talking about XLR input.

nn_in

? second post says RCA input should be fine to use, I'm not talking about XLR input.
Oh ok. I need XLR . The Ares2 XLR out to Preamp XLR in.So i guess Pre90 and A90D may cause issues.
So need to consider between Gustard A26 or H16 or Freya S

raif71

Major Contributor
You could consider Singxer SA-1. I have paired Singxer SA-1 with the Ares II but I had to put Singxer SA-1 in high gain which I'm not fond of...the setting of high gain that is. Then I found the solution of connecting Ares II to Gustard P26 then to Singxer SA-1 at low gain. Now I'm happy.

1661601953122.png

Last edited:

nn_in

You could consider Singxer SA-1. I have paired Singxer SA-1 with the Ares II but I had to put Singxer SA-1 in high gain which I'm not fond of...the setting of high gain that is. Then I found the solution of connecting Ares II to Gustard P26 then to Singxer SA-1 at low gain. Now I'm happy.

View attachment 226908
Thank You for sharing. I dont use headphones .So i can just consider Gustard A26 or Gustard H16

nn_in

Is the Gustard P26 remote volume step up / step down reasonably smooth ie it does not jump up/down too fast.Thanks.

raif71

Major Contributor
Is the Gustard P26 remote volume step up / step down reasonably smooth ie it does not jump up/down too fast.Thanks.
I've never used the remote. It's kept in the box and a chore for me to get it out. I just use the volume manually.

nn_in

I've never used the remote. It's kept in the box and a chore for me to get it out. I just use the volume manually.
Thanks.Infact iam buying just for remote capability and to connect purifi power amps in the future.

nn_in

Do you need a HP amp? Many great options to be had for less that $1400...

I own the Gustard P26; it’s a great pre. It’s the first relay-based attenuator I’ve owned, so the “clicks” when changing volume can be a nuisance until you get accustomed to it.

I have no experience with the Bryston, so can’t help there other than looking at the price of both units.
Good to know. Iam undecided between P26 and Freya S . Just to get a remote operation and XLR and rca inputs i need one of these

nn_in

Using P26 preamp 2 weeks.
My system before was: Denon DP-47F with MC cartridge + Pro-Ject Phono DS2 + Pro-Ject Pre Box DS2 Digital (DAC+preamp+HP amp) + Pro-Ject Amp Box RS Mono + Tannoy XT6 (considered to be bad by ASR review, but I'm still happy with its sound, really).
Have a problem when change loading for MC cartridge to nominal 100 Ohm - big hum. At 10 Ohm - no hum. Sound was not so bad but lacks a little of dynamic and has not enough volume level even at maximum at Pre Box. I've tried Ortofon ST-7 SUT with Phono DS2 and got same problem - big hum.
Volume level from Pre Box DAC was too high - I can use max 50% of volume control.

After connecting P26 into system (DS2 DAC -> RCA input, Phono DS2 -> XLR input, XLR output -> Amp RS):
1. Hum at 100 Ohm loading eliminated
2. Hum with ST-7 SUT eliminated
3. Vinyl sound improved a lot (I'm using SUT now (47 kOhm loading, 40 dB gain - Phono DS2 settings)
4. DAC volume level normalized (using fixed output at Pre DS2)
5. DAC sound improved (better sound-stage localisation, a little more detail)
6. Can use almost whole range of volume control (100 positions)
7. I'm happy with P26)

I think it's happened because of impedance conformity (P26 input impedance is 47 kOhm, output 100 Ohm).
Superb and very usable insights .
How is the P26 remote .Does it move smoothly?
My setup denon DNP to Ares2 to Pa5. I need remote so planning for P26 inbetween ares2 and pa5

Top Bottom