• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Gustard P26 Preamplifier

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Update: Left channel PS Noise issue has been fixed and the manufacturer has been notified of the fix. Since repairs do not require costs, manufacturers will immediately produce to new standards.

Thanks for the hard work! What was the issue, please? How was it fixed?

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the hard work! What was the issue, please? How was it fixed?

In the samples sent and the first batch of products, the power transformer output line was only 2-3CM away from the left channel amplifier triode, which caused the PS Noise of the left channel to be slightly higher than the right channel.

It only needs to be rotated 90 degrees to pass the output line between the middle partition and the front panel, which is enough distance.

Willem

Major Contributor
I still see litle point in having this on the market if an ADI-2 does the same but with digital inputs (for me the days of analogue sources are past). The ADI-2 has a rotary volume control.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Good to find out the root-cause, although an inside picture made from top would clear up things more easily, I guess.
There were probably some PCB traces or one of the transistors I can see in the picture from the last page, right?

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Good to find out the root-cause, although an inside picture made from top would clear up things more easily, I guess.
There were probably some PCB traces or one of the transistors I can see in the picture from the last page, right?

This is a photo of me in the process of solving the problem ...

Before it was routed in red, it was finally found through the angle of the resolver that it could be routed in blue.

Please ignore the copper foils I added

P26.jpg

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Great findings! So, in the end, what needed to be done was to move the wires a bit further from the toroid, then rotate few degrees the toroid till the EMI field will point in a different direction?

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Great findings! So, in the end, what needed to be done was to move the wires a bit further from the toroid, then rotate few degrees the toroid till the EMI field will point in a different direction?

Just keep the wires away from the audio amplification section.

The transformer needs to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise because only then can the wire go around from the front (otherwise it is too short) ...

Reactions: trl

ZgSTar

In my humble opinion, the relatively poor performance of the RCA-in really makes the applicability of this device narrower. I would have bought one for integrating a phono stage or any other older kind of input. With SINAD in the region of < 100dbs, however, does it mean that those harmonics could be audible in the mids between 3 and 5k and as such make this pre-amp, not 100% neutral? Basically this device would introduce noise or distortion in the mids? Do I read it well?

ZgSTar

Meh. Schiit Freya S is better than this.

By the report they post on schiit website I have to agree with you. The main problem that I see with both devices is a single XLR out which basically will not allow you to have for example a XLR amp and and XLR headphone AMP in the same setup at the same time.

Shame.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. Are the XLR and RCA outputs both active or must you select one or the other?

Thanks,
Martin

GTsmokeya84

Forum Donor
Hi there, thank you for this review, very nice looking unit. Curious as Emotiva makes a preamp for $330 and I have 2. Both seem transparent to me but I don't care for their integrated dac chip. But using an external dac and sources the Emotiva has been really good to me. Any chance that we can get an Emotiva preamp tested at some point?

Thanks

bigLP

Forum Donor
Yes, but not for everyone. There is a (likely small) market for pieces like this.
90% of my listening is digital. I do have a tuner and record player I use occasionally. I used to have an integrated amp, currently I just use the analog in on my bluesound node 2i and digitize those analog sources. So a simple pre amp with quality volume control and input switching is in my wheel house. I'd like to ask you folks how the internals(content and construction) of this p26 compare to the freya s. Measurements seem to favor the freya s (if I read the 2nd review and comments correctly). Wolf or anyone else familiar with both?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does this preamp come with a remote control?

Thanks,
Martin

Top Bottom