• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Gustard P26 Preamplifier

johncapra

Yes, it does not remember the volume of each of its input but only the last level and it will be same for all inputs. For example if you were listening using input xlr 1 and your last setting is 40, when you off and switch back on the unit, all inputs will have the volume level 40.
Thanks for this reply but just to make sure I understand...

1. I listen to a DAC on XLR input 1 and set the volume to 40
2. Then I switch to XLR input 2 and set the volume to 65
3. I power off the unit

When I come back later and turn it back on will XLR inputs 1 and 2 still be at 40 and 65 respectively?

Thanks for anyone who can provide insight on this,
John
I don't understand how a preamp "does not have horn theater bypass". I have the topping pre90 with the extension and I have my AVR connected to one of the RCA inputs. I set the input to 0.0gain and ran room correction. The pre90 remembers the last volume of each input, which means that when I go to that input it is effectively working as a HT bypass.

If a preamp remembers the volume level of each input it works as a HT bypass. Does the P26 not remember the volume of each input?

How does it compare to the pre90? My only gripe with the pre90 is the terrible reach of its controller. Other than that it is quite awesome. I need (want, actually) another preamp for my living room system.
Is 0db considered Unity gain on the Pre90? I would be looking to use the Topping in this manner as well.

EDIT: Just looked at Amir's review and he determined Unity Gain is -6db on the Pre90 in case that is how you want to set yours.

John

Last edited:

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for this reply but just to make sure I understand...

1. I listen to a DAC on XLR input 1 and set the volume to 40
2. Then I switch to XLR input 2 and set the volume to 65
3. I power off the unit

When I come back later and turn it back on will XLR inputs 1 and 2 still be at 40 and 65 respectively?

Thanks for anyone who can provide insight on this,
John

Is 0db considered Unity gain on the Pre90? I would be looking to use the Topping in this manner as well.

EDIT: Just looked at Amir's review and he determined Unity Gain is -6db on the Pre90 in case that is how you want to set yours.

John
It sounds like, since the last setting made was 65, all inputs will be at 65.

Top Bottom