• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Focusrite Forte recording interface

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you recommend it over anything else in the $400 range? Or even in the $200 range? I need an ADC setup for my wife and her violin, I bought her a cork mic that embeds into the bridge of the violin and it requires a powered ADC to work.
Too many interfaces I've not tried myself. It is among the better performing. If you need additional ins or outs there might be other choices. You might consider the Audient ID14 or the Focusrite Clarett 2pre. $200 on a nice used one I don't see how you can beat the Forte.

peterq

According to archimago's measurement, crosstalk is higher than others but very flat while distortion measurements are really good, any mod for it?
The other problem of forte is the driver, focusrite has already given up to update the driver and it is unstable with my Windows 7 laptop. The one I'm using now is modified oppo ha-2 driver because they use same xmos solution.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
According to archimago's measurement, crosstalk is higher than others but very flat while distortion measurements are really good, any mod for it?
The other problem of forte is the driver, focusrite has already given up to update the driver and it is unstable with my Windows 7 laptop. The one I'm using now is modified oppo ha-2 driver because they use same xmos solution.
@peterq
Sorry just noticed your post.

Yes, it looks unlikely they'll update drivers. When I first purchased the Forte I was using Win 7 and had no issues. I used it with two different laptops on Win 7. So that varies with hardware apparently. Both those laptops eventually had Win 8 and it works with those. One is currently on Win 10 again no issues. I also have used it with a Macbook Pro with no troubles. Who knows if Forte will change the driver if it no longer works with future Windows?

As for comparison with a Apogee Duet Ipad, I don't have one to do any comparing. If I were in need of replacing it, I'd look at the Focusrite Clarett series as they use the same circuitry and ADC/DAC chips as the Forte.

peterq

The original forte driver is unstable on one of my laptop which running windows 7 but it's ok with another laptop with windows 10. I modified Clarett driver and install it on my windows 7 then all problems were solved, I don't understand why focusrite is not willing to release a new driver for forte. Very upset.

@peterq
Sorry just noticed your post.

Yes, it looks unlikely they'll update drivers. When I first purchased the Forte I was using Win 7 and had no issues. I used it with two different laptops on Win 7. So that varies with hardware apparently. Both those laptops eventually had Win 8 and it works with those. One is currently on Win 10 again no issues. I also have used it with a Macbook Pro with no troubles. Who knows if Forte will change the driver if it no longer works with future Windows?

As for comparison with a Apogee Duet Ipad, I don't have one to do any comparing. If I were in need of replacing it, I'd look at the Focusrite Clarett series as they use the same circuitry and ADC/DAC chips as the Forte.

Alex_Black

The original forte driver is unstable on one of my laptop which running windows 7 but it's ok with another laptop with windows 10. I modified Clarett driver and install it on my windows 7 then all problems were solved, I don't understand why focusrite is not willing to release a new driver for forte. Very upset.

Hi Peter,

Can you share how you modified the driver? Thanks!

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @Blumlein 88

Do you have loopback measurements for the Zen Tour?
I do, what are you most interested in?

The Zen Tour has a better ADC than DAC. So I also have measures of the March Audio DAC into the ZT which shows the ADC limits better.

I posted results on this long running Gearslutz (or rather gearspace as now known) thread for various pieces of gear. I had the username esldude. It place fairly well vs lots of other gear.
https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=15330702&postcount=2251

Music1969

Major Contributor
I do, what are you most interested in?

The Zen Tour has a better ADC than DAC. So I also have measures of the March Audio DAC into the ZT which shows the ADC limits better.

I posted results on this long running Gearslutz (or rather gearspace as now known) thread for various pieces of gear. I had the username esldude. It place fairly well vs lots of other gear.
https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.php?p=15330702&postcount=2251

Thanks! Actually seeing this interface rank so highly on the loopback test is what made me search here and find your post. Funny coincidence because I didn't know that was your measurement. It still ranks really highly.

Do you have J-test, 1kHz tone and multitone (31 tone in REW) ?

And by chane do you have headphone output measurements? Like output impedance and power into 32 ohms and 300 ohms?

Last edited:
OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Actually seeing this interface rank so highly on the loopback test is what made me search here and find your post. Funny coincidence because I didn't know that was your measurement. It still ranks really highly.

Do you have J-test, 1kHz tone and multitone (31 tone in REW) ?

And by chane do you have headphone output measurements? Like output impedance and power into 32 ohms and 300 ohms?
Don't have the headphone measures. I do have J-test, 1 khz tone, but not the multitone. I could probably do those at some point. I'll dredge up the measures soon and get the result to you. I do have the sweeps which are good to show aliasing if there is any.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Her is a 128k FFT of the ZT in loopback just a touch below -1 db for a 1 khz tone. The highest harmonic is the 2nd at -101 dbFS. You see a string of all the harmonics. Those are from the DAC. ADC has a touch of 3rd and 5th a lower levels than this and no more show above the noise floor.

A J-test in loopback really doesn't show you anything as the ADC and DAC are clocking together. So the Jtest in loopback always look good.
1622354410374.png

Last edited:

kleijnforstm

@Blumlein 88
Hi, I'll be glad for help.
I choose for my audeze lcd-x and beyerdynamic 1770 pro, TOPPING E50+TOPPING L50, but I have a FOCUSRITE FORTE and would like to know which combo would be best.
TOPPING E50+TOPPING L50 or
FOCUSRITE FORTE+TOPPING L50.
I just need a good headphone output.
Thanks for any response.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Blumlein 88
Hi, I'll be glad for help.
I choose for my audeze lcd-x and beyerdynamic 1770 pro, TOPPING E50+TOPPING L50, but I have a FOCUSRITE FORTE and would like to know which combo would be best.
TOPPING E50+TOPPING L50 or
FOCUSRITE FORTE+TOPPING L50.
I just need a good headphone output.
Thanks for any response.
Hello and welcome to ASR.

The Forte is a good unit and the headphone output is of good quality, but not very powerful. Firstly the unit can run on USB bus power only, but power is reduced. When connected to a wall wart there is more power, but it still is not very powerful. However, as you are going to use an L50 I assume you just intend to use the Forte for a DAC from its line outputs. It is very good for that. The E50 measures somewhat better, but I doubt there is an audible difference vs the DAC in the Forte.

As you already have the Forte, I would use it with the L50. You also of course have the ADC in the Forte if you ever have a use for it. The E50 measures better, but likely both are effectively transparent. So you can save the bucks vs buying the E50. The E50 does DSD and higher rate PCM than the Forte so unless you need those the Forte is fine. The E50 also has a remote if that matters.

kleijnforstm

Hello and welcome to ASR.

The Forte is a good unit and the headphone output is of good quality, but not very powerful. Firstly the unit can run on USB bus power only, but power is reduced. When connected to a wall wart there is more power, but it still is not very powerful. However, as you are going to use an L50 I assume you just intend to use the Forte for a DAC from its line outputs. It is very good for that. The E50 measures somewhat better, but I doubt there is an audible difference vs the DAC in the Forte.

As you already have the Forte, I would use it with the L50. You also of course have the ADC in the Forte if you ever have a use for it. The E50 measures better, but likely both are effectively transparent. So you can save the bucks vs buying the E50. The E50 does DSD and higher rate PCM than the Forte so unless you need those the Forte is fine. The E50 also has a remote if that matters.

Thank you very much, it helped a lot.

Top Bottom