• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Measurements of Focusrite Forte recording interface

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
Do you recommend it over anything else in the $400 range? Or even in the $200 range? I need an ADC setup for my wife and her violin, I bought her a cork mic that embeds into the bridge of the violin and it requires a powered ADC to work.
Too many interfaces I've not tried myself. It is among the better performing. If you need additional ins or outs there might be other choices. You might consider the Audient ID14 or the Focusrite Clarett 2pre. $200 on a nice used one I don't see how you can beat the Forte.

According to archimago's measurement, crosstalk is higher than others but very flat while distortion measurements are really good, any mod for it?
The other problem of forte is the driver, focusrite has already given up to update the driver and it is unstable with my Windows 7 laptop. The one I'm using now is modified oppo ha-2 driver because they use same xmos solution.

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
According to archimago's measurement, crosstalk is higher than others but very flat while distortion measurements are really good, any mod for it?
The other problem of forte is the driver, focusrite has already given up to update the driver and it is unstable with my Windows 7 laptop. The one I'm using now is modified oppo ha-2 driver because they use same xmos solution.
@peterq
Sorry just noticed your post.

Yes, it looks unlikely they'll update drivers. When I first purchased the Forte I was using Win 7 and had no issues. I used it with two different laptops on Win 7. So that varies with hardware apparently. Both those laptops eventually had Win 8 and it works with those. One is currently on Win 10 again no issues. I also have used it with a Macbook Pro with no troubles. Who knows if Forte will change the driver if it no longer works with future Windows?

As for comparison with a Apogee Duet Ipad, I don't have one to do any comparing. If I were in need of replacing it, I'd look at the Focusrite Clarett series as they use the same circuitry and ADC/DAC chips as the Forte.

The original forte driver is unstable on one of my laptop which running windows 7 but it's ok with another laptop with windows 10. I modified Clarett driver and install it on my windows 7 then all problems were solved, I don't understand why focusrite is not willing to release a new driver for forte. Very upset.

@peterq
Sorry just noticed your post.

Yes, it looks unlikely they'll update drivers. When I first purchased the Forte I was using Win 7 and had no issues. I used it with two different laptops on Win 7. So that varies with hardware apparently. Both those laptops eventually had Win 8 and it works with those. One is currently on Win 10 again no issues. I also have used it with a Macbook Pro with no troubles. Who knows if Forte will change the driver if it no longer works with future Windows?

As for comparison with a Apogee Duet Ipad, I don't have one to do any comparing. If I were in need of replacing it, I'd look at the Focusrite Clarett series as they use the same circuitry and ADC/DAC chips as the Forte.

Top Bottom