• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements Of Chord Mojo

Jakob1863

Addicted to Fun and Learning
G
Yes, fully aware of this and discussed elsewhere. its a project already in progress. :) as mentioned in the op the 20dB attenuator assists with the distortion measurement at the expense of noise floor.
Great, sorry i wasn´t aware of the already ongoing discussion about it.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interested to see how Amirs measurements end up comparing to yours. Nice job!

billqs

I'm curious as to how these measurements would correlate to the Hugo 2 or Chord Qutest (Hugo 2 DAC minus amp.) I have both and honestly I haven't noticed much difference between them (except one cost $1000 more than the other.)

rdodev

Perhaps others mobile use is different to mine, but the thought of having this lump (or other similar unit) in your pocket as well as your phone while on a noisy bus, tube, train or plane seems pointless to me. Its inconvenient and the environment (and probably the cans) simply dont lend themselves to more than casual listening. As you say, if its that important to you buy a phone that has a good reputation and audio measurements :) . I appreciate that in your case your Nexus 6 really was a deficient design, but in my experience thats not typical of most decent phones these days.

I wholly agree with this. The ambient noise would entirely sabotage any nuance and detail your portable dac/amp could retrieve. Same goes for noisy offices or work places. Just get some decent cans that can be driven from your phone and enjoy. Once back at home, in a decently quiet room you can geek out and get your hi-fi on.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @March Audio

Could you re-do these same measurements but with TOSlink input this time (and running off battery)?

It appears the Mojo USB input is very sensitive to RF - something Rob Watts has since paid more attention to in later products.

This is probably also the reason HiFi news use the Chord Mojo to measure USB streamers and get measurable differences with Mojo analogue output... due to it's sensitity on USB input.

TOSlink input is immune to RF/ground/leakage current issues and Rob says jitter is not an issue with his DACs and for this reason, he says TOSlink is the best input.

Would be interesting to see if all of the above lines up in measurements.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Hi @March Audio

Could you re-do these same measurements but with TOSlink input this time (and running off battery)?

It appears the Mojo USB input is very sensitive to RF - something Rob Watts has since paid more attention to in later products.

This is probably also the reason HiFi news use the Chord Mojo to measure USB streamers and get measurable differences with Mojo analogue output... due to it's sensitity on USB input.

TOSlink input is immune to RF/ground/leakage current issues and Rob says jitter is not an issue with his DACs and for this reason, he says TOSlink is the best input.

Would be interesting to see if all of the above lines up in measurements.
Hi @Music1969

Unfortunately I cant as I no longer have a mojo

cheers

Alan

Music1969

Major Contributor
No problems @March Audio

Some parts of Stereophile's measurements show this sensitivity issue with USB compared with TOSlink.

Mainly mains power connected USB source.

1587353755894.png

1587353778893.png

1587353794866.png

https://www.stereophile.com/content/chord-electronics-mojo-da-headphone-amplifier-measurements

Top Bottom