• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Bluetooth sound quality?

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Bluetooth as a subject is very confusing, and from all the protocols and features it's hard to understand its actual effects on sound quality. Are there measurements (thd+n, sinad, FR, imd, etc.) of different Bluetooth applications that show what is the end result of whatever it's doing?

wwenze

Major Contributor
Most standard measurement methods return a very good THD+N and SINAD because a single tone can be compressed with nearly no loss.

I've never tried 32-tone IMD tho, might be interesting tho I won't be surprised if that returns good results too.

Webninja

Forum Donor
I haven’t checked in the last year, but my extensive research on Bluetooth (mostly for the car) resulted in the data rate being much less than CD quality. It might have improved with Bluetooth 5.

Bottom line, if you’re streaming Tidal or Qobuz (or CD/SACD, Flac) having Bluetooth in the music delivery chain will reduce quality.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I haven’t checked in the last year, but my extensive research on Bluetooth (mostly for the car) resulted in the data rate being much less than CD quality. It might have improved with Bluetooth 5.

Bottom line, if you’re streaming Tidal or Qobuz (or CD/SACD, Flac) having Bluetooth in the music delivery chain will reduce quality.

Question is what is audible.

Webninja

Forum Donor
That’s true, but I did a quick check, and depending on codec used, still not even half of lossless.

You’re right that not everyone or every system will have it audible. I am ok with it in the car, but not for my headphones and more detailed listening.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
That’s true, but I did a quick check, and depending on codec used, still not even half of lossless.

You’re right that not everyone or every system will have it audible. I am ok with it in the car, but not for my headphones and more detailed listening.

That's what I'm saying...half of lossless I'd bet is pretty close to testably transparent under 99% of conditions, but haven't done any proper tests myself.

Edit: I'm petty hopeless in determining differences at 320k... I was shocked after feeling like I MUST be able to tell...I'm a serious listener after all...:rolleyes:

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please people, I didn't ask for opinions or estimations. I'm just interested in seeing actual measurements of the resulting signal after all the processing and transmitting done by a Bluetooth device.

If a single tone is not revealing enough because the nature of compression, then a multitoned test would be interesting to see, or even a Deltawave comparison to the original file.

wwenze

Major Contributor

So, yup, it's sucking in IMD at least for one of them. The others can't really tell, might be the noise floor that is also increasing with frequency. Need the FFT plot to confirm. I remember the two-tone IMD to be pretty clean tho.

More digging:
https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-aptx-and-aptx-hd-19914/

aptX-IMD.jpg
SBC-Bluetooth-IMD.jpg

SBC struggles with 2-tone, aptx is... will be hidden below the noise floor of most cheap receivers I guess. Neither showing any major harmonic distortion issue.

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor

So, yup, it's sucking in IMD at least for one of them. The others can't really tell, might be the noise floor that is also increasing with frequency. Need the FFT plot to confirm. I remember the two-tone IMD to be pretty clean tho.

http://www.sereneaudio.com/blog/how-good-is-bluetooth-audio-at-its-best
Pure tones: (Note the noise floor)
1kHz_PSD.png
Those graphs look FFTs with bad windowing. I wouldn't trust them.

mansr

Major Contributor
Please people, I didn't ask for opinions or estimations. I'm just interested in seeing actual measurements of the resulting signal after all the processing and transmitting done by a Bluetooth device.

If a single tone is not revealing enough because the nature of compression, then a multitoned test would be interesting to see, or even a Deltawave comparison to the original file.
Artificial test signals are mostly useless for evaluating perceptual codecs. Blind testing with carefully chosen music samples is the only sure way to test them. A perceptual model can produce an apparent distortion metric, but this will only be as good as the model. FFTs of tones will look fine unless the encoder has really screwed up. A multi-tone test isn't representative of real sounds and can make the encoder's perceptual model collapse, producing a poor output even if it performs well on music.

Good perceptual codecs are hard to create and harder to evaluate. That's why lossless is preferable whenever the bandwidth permits.

wwenze

Major Contributor
(Wait, u can stuff MP3 into A2DP?)

Anyway... the problem is the codecs, and we haven't had any fundamental change or major revolution in lossless audio compression and I doubt we ever will. The benefits of BT5 are at the interface level. Like allowing you to stuff more bandwidth more reliably (so in practice, you may hear a difference if your sound is previously trash).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I think implementing Opus decoding & BT transfer would be a next logical step regarding BT audio regarding both latency and quality.

Tks

Major Contributor
Gonna have to wait until bossman or wolfman get the BT module addon for the AP >_< Damn thing costs like $8K or something, yuck.

Top Bottom