• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of... aliexpress amps?

nas

I will probably be banned for this request, but, please, include some reviews of really really cheap power amps.
Not everyone of us can afford 200+USD poweramps, but the TPA3116 boards with or w/o enclosure with up to 30-50 bucks are pretty interresting.

For example this one, with the retail price probably less than the raw materials (~20 USD with shipping)

1565117396724.png

Or this one, even with aluminium enclosure (~23 USD)

1565117581681.png

It is sad to say, but I am using similar things because they sound not that bad and even better than some old big mainstream amps from 1990's...

Thank you!

OP
N

nas

There's a thread for this sort of thing , you can always contact Amirm and send one in for testing.

There's really no drama , not sure what all the talk of being banned is about unless you are a covert spammer.

Thomas, could you point to that thread?
It would be best for me to donate to this forum, as the postage from EU to US will be more than postage + amp from China to US.

No, I kinda hate drama. It is a bit annoying to see measurements of those big bucks 120dB THD amps I cannot afford.

JD2

Thomas, could you point to that thread?
It would be best for me to donate to this forum, as the postage from EU to US will be more than postage + amp from China to US.

No, I kinda hate drama. It is a bit annoying to see measurements of those big bucks 120dB THD amps I cannot afford.

I concur with the desire for testing of these amps. In particular, an amp using the TPA3255 or TPA3251 would be awesome. I know it depends on the implimetation of the designer so "3e-audio" seems to be a respected one.

sajunky

When talking about TPA3251/5, it delivers more power at a cost. These are more affordable:
Review and Measurements of Topping TP60 and FX Audio FX502SPro Amps
Both have some design problems. FX502SPro sounds the best when the volume is set 9-11 o'clock and tend to lockup at times when turning volume beyond 2'clock, but I like this amp sounds and the measurements are good for a price in my opinion. My FX502SPro PSU was underpowered, it failed during the first 5 hours and using it now with Meanwell PSU. Don't waste your money for rubbish, get the amp without PSU.

OP
N

nas

When talking about TPA3251/5, it delivers more power at a cost. These are more affordable:
Review and Measurements of Topping TP60 and FX Audio FX502SPro Amps
Both have some design problems. FX502SPro sounds the best when the volume is set 9-11 o'clock and tend to lockup at times when turning volume beyond 2'clock, but I like this amp sounds and the measurements are good for a price in my opinion. My FX502SPro PSU was underpowered, it failed during the first 5 hours and using it now with Meanwell PSU. Don't waste your money for rubbish, get the amp without PSU.

I have read all the sub-200 USD reviews here, but the point is - some of us live in EU, where you pay customs taxes when importing goods from outside that are more expensive than ~23 EUR with postage and even VAT if it is ~75+ EUR (do not remember exactly). This is ridiculously low, but still you can get some amp board w/o PSU for this amount and use old laptop brick instead. If/when it fails - you buy another used for 5 EUR, it is not an issue.
Local Amazons may have some offers, but the price is exactly the same as Aliexpress + customs + VAT, so... :(

sajunky

I have read all the sub-200 USD reviews here, but the point is - some of us live in EU, where you pay customs taxes when importing goods from outside that are more expensive than ~23 EUR with postage and even VAT if it is ~75+ EUR (do not remember exactly). This is ridiculously low, but still you can get some amp board w/o PSU for this amount and use old laptop brick instead. If/when it fails - you buy another used for 5 EUR, it is not an issue.
Local Amazons may have some offers, but the price is exactly the same as Aliexpress + customs + VAT, so... :(
I think I can come with some tips. I live in South Africa, but every time I order something through the Post Office, it gets stolen. So for the small items, I do arrange delivery to my family in Europe. And now, how it works. For items below $100 (or Euro) there are no import duties, so the parcel typically goes without usual customs clearance, in such case I pay no VAT. Last time I ordered FX502SPro and IcePower 125ASX2 in separate parcels, both parcels arrived with no extra costs. When ordering make sure that a shipping address destignate a physical person (not a company) and mark a purchase as a gift on checkout. In your country details may be different, but general quidelines are the same across EU.

You must be careful however when ordering complete enclusure with PSU's. They look at CE certificate. When they find no certificate, it may be a problem, They are very strict on this. I heard a horror story then they found a fake certificate (Chineese do not take care about and they put the wrong CE sticker), the parcel was confiscated.

If your budget is above $100, I would recommend IcePower 125ASX2 module. It will be delivered as a part (no power cord nor IEC plug), so no problem with EU certificates.

Last edited:

vert

Forum Donor
Audiophonics have many such units and better ones for modest prices and ship to all Europe, there are others I think.

OP
N

nas

I think I can come with some tips. I live in South Africa, but every time I order something through the Post Office, it gets stolen. So for the small items, I do arrange delivery to my family in Europe. And now, how it works. For items below $100 (or Euro) there are no import duties, so the parcel typically goes without usual customs clearance, in such case I pay no VAT. Last time I ordered FX502SPro and IcePower 125ASX2 in separate parcels, both parcels arrived with no extra costs. When ordering make sure that a shipping address destignate a physical person (not a company) and mark a purchase as a gift on checkout. In your country details may be different, but general quidelines are the same across EU.

You must be careful however when ordering complete enclusure with PSU's. They look at CE certificate. When they find no certificate, it may be a problem, They are very strict on this. I heard a horror story then they found a fake certificate (Chineese do not take care about and they put the wrong CE sticker), the parcel was confiscated.

If your budget is above $100, I would recommend IcePower 125ASX2 module. It will be delivered as a part (no power cord nor IEC plug), so no problem with EU certificates.

I haven't had any of stolen packages problem, but none of such tricks work anymore here. I understand that you gave the advice for our benefit. We appreciate it ;) It does not matter if you send to company or personal address. Besides, the major reason buying from Ali is the price which is not attractive if you send it around the world. If you get caught - you pay also some weird customs administration fee, which is ~20-30 EUR fix depending on parcel service company. So: price + postage fee + VAT + customs fee + customs administration fee in worst case. It can easily reach ~2-2.5x of the original price. ~23EUR is the limit for China -> my country (Lithuania) if you want to avoid trouble, not 100 EUR. The same for US-> my country. If it was 100 EUR for taxfree, some local e-commerce businesses would collapse...

Ok, this is the last post about it - the main topic of this thread is to get ultra-cheap amps tested, not to cry about troubles buying from China.

sajunky

I haven't had any of stolen packages problem, but none of such tricks work anymore here. I understand that you gave the advice for our benefit. We appreciate it ;) It does not matter if you send to company or personal address. Besides, the major reason buying from Ali is the price which is not attractive if you send it around the world. If you get caught - you pay also some weird customs administration fee, which is ~20-30 EUR fix depending on parcel service company.
Comment about stolen parcels apply only to the South African Post Office. I did mention it just to show a reason why I ship to the EU.

Caught? For WHAT? Parcel comes with a valid invoice attached, etc. It is up to customs to investigate or pass as is. You probably leave in paranoiac environment and didn't do any reasearch on your own side. Now I quit on this, it became ridiculous.

OP
N

nas

Comment about stolen parcels apply only to the South African Post Office. I did mention it just to show a reason why I ship to the EU.

Caught? For WHAT? Parcel comes with a valid invoice attached, etc. It is up to customs to investigate or pass as is. You probably leave in paranoiac environment and didn't do any reasearch on your own side. Now I quit on this, it became ridiculous.

If customs investigate, and they investigate a lot - you pay at least all the taxes I have mentioned AND maybe an extra fine. Does not matter what invoice shows, anyone can print fake invoice. If you import something for example 1000EUR value - in the worst case it may cost you at least 500EUR extra or even more. So, sending expensive stuff to EU and then out of EU usually is a pricy idea. If your tricks work in some EU country - I am happy for you.

sajunky

...So, sending expensive stuff to EU and then out of EU usually is a pricy idea.
You are out of your mind. Where I did say, that I am shipping out of EU? :facepalm:
Answer yourself. I am not watching this thread anymore.

[EDIT] FFY from UK to EU. Right, it will be not in EU soon.

Last edited:
OP
N

nas

You are out of your mind. Where I did say, that I am shipping out of UK? :facepalm:
Answer yourself. I am not watching this thread anymore.

This thread is about Chinese amps, you mentioned about your family in Europe where you send stuff, with price over the tax threshold and that you live in South Africa.
Now you are talking about UK...

:facepalm:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless there is a really big saving I prefer to buy at home, or alternatively in Europe. By the time you pay international shipping, VAT plus the handling charge to collect the VAT (that bit really winds me up, paying VAT is one thing but paying the post office to collect it and paying VAT on their fee to collect the VAT just makes me cross) I find a lot of those bargains from overseas sellers become much less bargain-ish. And if I buy at home I get some peace of mind in terms of consumer protection laws, warranty provision etc. There are plenty of cheap-ish amps I can buy from UK or European sellers if I want to.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Unless there is a really big saving I prefer to buy at home, or alternatively in Europe. By the time you pay international shipping, VAT plus the handling charge to collect the VAT (that bit really winds me up, paying VAT is one thing but paying the post office to collect it and paying VAT on their fee to collect the VAT just makes me cross) I find a lot of those bargains from overseas sellers become much less bargain-ish.

I remember buying some cheap components for Morgan Jones as a favor (they weren't available in England and he wanted to use them for some circuits in his book). $15 of parts.

UPS charged him $100 for clearing Customs.

snip3r77

but I doubt there is one that measures well

OP
N

nas

but I doubt there is one that measures well

Measuring with my rusty tin ears - they are much better than 80% of old mainstream especially keeping in mind their current state: dry old caps, crispy potentiometers etc.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
All these models are inferior to the FX-Audio FX502SPro $55, measured by Amir.
For us EU residents french Ausiophonics sells the FX-Audio FX502SPro for €65 + transport including taxes. Not a bad deal.

Top Bottom