• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements never lie, but sometimes they can be an illusion...

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Post deleted by me, after discussion deleting it with @amirm . I tried to do a storytelling approach and “devil’s advocate” perspective and “food for thought” style but it ended up being too confusing.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ultrasonics can indeed intermod in your tweeters. Of course, it will have to be pretty high level to make audible intermod, and the tweeters have to respond up there. A lot of tweeters get pretty inductive and won't respond much beyond 20kHz. Also, a simple low pass filter will knock that stuff down if you're worried.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, but I have no clue what your point is and the amount of text is too much for me to read it all (>1500 words, equivalent to 6 pages if double-spaced). Measurements measure what you have it measure, if you want to include ultra-sonics in the measurements, then you can.

You say the point is not to just look at ultrasonics, but just in case it was, those are going to be super low in level to not even be getting 1W, your music needs content up there; Amir does test ultrasonic performance, typically for Class-D, checking how high in frequency and low in volume that ultrasonic switching frequency is. He did it for the PA5, you can compare it to your measurement:
index.php

If people only choose to look at a few of the measurements, that’s on them. Just like only buying a speaker based on its on-axis performance (if that is even available). Having a suite of data (charts please, using mostly numbers make it incredibly annoying, such as SoundStage’s amp testing).

The manufacturers know how @amirm tests too. If I were a manufacturer, I'd certainly try to make sure my product does well on the ASR test suite.

You mean measuring distortion at 1kHz? If so, Stereophile (and others) have Amir beat by a few decades in terms of measuring that. I assume Amir isn’t even the first to try and rank/rate performance.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The ultrasonic switching signal is not played by tweeters, let alone heard by us. It's power is too low to burn tweeters. No intermodulation has been measured so far.

It's all in the FAQ btw.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Your call to action won’t lead to standardization will it?

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, but I have no clue what your point is and the amount of text is too much for me to read it all (>1500 words, equivalent to 6 pages if double-spaced).
I agree 100% with your comment. You just didn't read my post to appreciate that was the intent.

Your call to action won’t lead to standardization will it?
The call to action isn't about standardization, it's more about having more instruments in the hands of more people. Amir's Topping PA5 sample had no difference between the two channels. My sample purchased from Amazon.com had as much as 10 dB difference in the noise in the bass. We should never ignore the standard tests -- they're standards for good, sound reasons. But it doesn't mean that new tests aren't worth investigating. Tools from @pkane let us easily evaluate new tests.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Sounds like your testing or Toppings production quality is suspect. Either way the marantz is run of the mill and performance beyond 20khz that doesn't cause imd in the audible band doesn't mean Jack shit.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
The call to action isn't about standardization, it's more about having more instruments in the hands of more people. Amir's Topping PA5 sample had no difference between the two channels. My sample purchased from Amazon.com had as much as 10 dB difference in the noise in the bass. We should never ignore the standard tests -- they're standards for good, sound reasons. But it doesn't mean that new tests aren't worth investigating. Tools from @pkane let us easily evaluate new tests.
Thank you for the clarification.

I am not so sure about the easily to be honest. More instruments in the hands of more people will also lead to more confusion.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Two points:

1. Topping was measuring audio gear well before I arrived. They run their own tests that are different than mine combined with what I run.

2. One channel having different noise level may very well be instrumentation. I routinely play with grounding only to have one channel get better and the other worse. You have to rule this out before blaming the audio device under test. I usually comment in my reviews about the efforts I put in to eliminate such noise issues.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Two points:

1. Topping was measuring audio gear well before I arrived. They run their own tests that are different than mine combined with what I run.

2. One channel having different noise level may very well be instrumentation. I routinely play with grounding only to have one channel get better and the other worse. You have to rule this out before blaming the audio device under test. I usually comment in my reviews about the efforts I put in to eliminate such noise issues.

2: That's definitely worth investigating. My measurements of PA5 (also using Cosmos ADC) looked very noisy until I connected their grounds by a short, thick wire. The result was much cleaner then:

index.php

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
19A2F7AB-F073-4F47-AE77-6950C75CCB87.jpeg

So which if the two has more ultrasonic noise again?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The manufacturers know how @amirm tests too. If I were a manufacturer, I'd certainly try to make sure my product does well on the ASR test suite.
On this point, my measurements come at the product from many vantage points. It is exceedingly hard to cheat in a way that produces empty measurements with no value. There is no parallels here to video driver hacks you mentioned.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On this point, my measurements come at the product from many vantage points. It is exceedingly hard to cheat in a way that produces empty measurements with no value. There is no parallels here to video driver hacks you mentioned.
There are very special cases where audio equipment detects measurement equipment though: Chord for instance won’t output the impulse response of their DACs ;)

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the story telling aspect didn't work as intended -- I'm not saying any company is cheating. I'm the one that's being the magician and creating the illusion. I am saying that it's possible to present present data in the way that the storyteller (magician) wants while not lying by changing the way tests are run and presented.

Part two is that you can do really well with a 1 kHz test tone (and not do well with the multitone). You see that with the Marantz -- for 1 kHz, it doesn't have a lot of ultrasonics. For multitone, it's worse than the Topping.

Going forward, it's a good idea for more people to start testing themselves. As you understand the test parameters, we'll may come up with better tests.

(Edit: Without spoiling The Prestige (the 2006 movie), my story telling approach probably makes more sense if you watch the movie again).

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As class D amps have ultrasonic noise it would be very useful to add some tests in the high frequencies range.
May be a TIM or THD around 10 khz.
Do somebody has an idea?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
A real question to answer is whether ultrasonic, electronic noise matters. Clearly, there are no humans reliably able to hear sound above 20kHz, and if we're over 40 years old, hearing over 17kHz would be good.

Which is why the audio industry has used 20kHz as an upper limit for testing for decades.

There has, however, been an ongoing debate about wide bandwidth amplifiers for years. Some designers aim for a flat response to 50 or 100kHz. When TIM was first discovered, wide bandwidths were argued as essential to enable high slew-rates.

However, given the increasing amount of electronic noise, perhaps it is safer to reject anything outside the normal audio range in order to be confident that there is no location-specific interaction.

SoNic

Clearly, there are no humans reliably able to hear sound above 20kHz
You might not hear those sounds, but you can hear effects of band limiting. Fast attack has a lot of Fourier components. If you band limit that, then the attack gets smeared.
To me, the drumsticks hitting cymbals do sound different when listening on CD or LP/SACD. Or real life. Example: Police's "Message In A Bottle", Foo Fighters "Dear Rosemary".

That difference is audible ONLY if the recording master was originally analog, with lots of bandwidth. Or archived with high bandwidth. I saw a lot of "SACD" issues that are basically CD quality, brick walled at 20kHz. Foobar2000's "Spectrum" shows that clearly.
Example: Rush's "Moving Pictures" (even their DVD-A is limited at 17-18kHz). Sounds good, but something is missing from cymbals...

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
Anything you record, any way, is always going to sound different to live music. Expecting any microphone, encoding, replay chain and speaker to mimic an instrument coupled only to the air and ear is unrealistic.

SoNic

Anything you record, any way, is always going to sound different to live music.
Now... there is almost no "live" rock, pop, or other modern music. Everything we hear "live", in a concert, is piped trough microphones, transducers (guitar pickups) and speakers. Unplugged events sound different and are reserved only for a few people.
Unless you are listening to symphonic music, and even then, the room you listen has it's own characteristics.

The difference that I am talking about is based on analog bandwidth on those chains.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As class D amps have ultrasonic noise it would be very useful to add some tests in the high frequencies range.
May be a TIM or THD around 10 khz.
Do somebody has an idea?

Top Bottom