• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements and Review of SOtM SMS-200 Network Player

Olli

Forum Donor
Haven’t tried to be honest and can‘t right know - holidays. But I assume that you can select the Sotm as an output device within the Apple OS once you‘ve activated sharepoint on the Sotm... will check for you once I am back.

catman

Forum Donor
Oh. Got it. It should work that way. Enjoy your holiday!

reg19

On measured performance, I see no reason to acquire this to have better sound compared to a computer driving your DAC. Both the architecture of the device and my measurements confirm the same.

I have spent a few days comparing the following:
  1. NUC playing Roon —> M1 Mac Mini (with HQPlayer desktop) —> basic Audioquest Evergreen cable —> RME ADI-2 DAC FS (version 2) [NUC and M1 Mac Mini are connected to gigabit network using CAT6 cables]
  2. NUC playing Roon —> M1 Mac Mini (with HQPlayer desktop) —> SMS-200Ultra (using Sbooster BOTW P&P MKII Power Supply) —> basic Audioquest Evergreen cable —> RME ADI-2 DAC FS (version 2) [NUC, M1 Mac Mini, and SMS-200Ultra are connected to gigabit network using CAT6 cables]
Speakers are fairly resolving (Focal Electra 1038Be). Parasound Halo electronics.

In each case, music was upsampled to 384k using exact same settings.

Anyone could make out that the SMS-200Ultra provided a much better sound - better ‘blackground’, with much better low end resolution and high end detail. It is night and day. Now, not sure if this is due to the LPS or the NAA or both.

Sad. Because my M1 Mac Mini does not sit far from my HiFi setup (easy enough for me to connect my Mac directly to the DAC via USB). If the difference was close, I’d sell the SMS-200Ultra and the LPS and use that $1k towards something else more useful.

I don’t doubt the measurements, Amir. Perhaps, measuring well is a necessary condition for good sound but not sufficient (ie: perhaps, there is some other set of measurements that the audio community does not currently capture but hopefully shall in the near future).

FWIW: I do have an electronics engineering degree and have spent my entire working life trading interest rate derivatives with the decision-making based very heavily on stochastic calculus / probability theory. In short, I am a numbers guy.

PS: when I say that perhaps, measurements might not be sufficient (Amir has already measured a very similar device), please don’t ask me to submit measurements of both setups.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FWIW: I do have an electronics engineering degree and have spent my entire working life trading interest rate derivatives with the decision-making based very heavily on stochastic calculus / probability theory. In short, I am a numbers guy.
Very well. You are qualified to run the following simple experiment then. Teach a loved one how to attach your DAC to either configuration. Have them make up a random order of 10 such trials. Then without you knowing, have them switch configurations for you to listen. You can listen for 1 minute or 1 year in each iteration. Choice is yours. Once done, see how many times you could guess correctly. You need to do better than 8 out of 10 for your results to be statistically significant.

The above will be the most important thing you do in your audio life! So please make the time and effort to do it.

cpcat

Would you speculate a measurable difference in these two setups?

Desktop PC->30 ft USB self powered repeater cable->USB DAC

Desktop PC->Ethernet->SOtM SMS-200-> regular short USB cable-> USB DAC

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Why are you running 30 ft USB cables instead of using WiFi?

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I would speculate do to incorrect approach that the measurable difference would be you bank account.

cpcat

Why are you running 30 ft USB cables instead of using WiFi?
Well, I guess mainly because I had it installed 6 yrs ago when we moved into the house. It goes through the wall/attic space/wall from a closet in our bonus room where I have a dedicated space for my stuff. The PC sits in the closet (my “office“, my family calls it the Harry Potter closet). I also had an Ethernet cable installed alongside it.

We have cable internet in our neighborhood and at peak times it can get congested as well -so additionally I’d rather preserve the bandwidth for all of the video streamers around the house and also not have to deal with connectivity issues for my music at least in my ”space”.

So any comments on whether the extender cable would measure differently? It functions and sounds fine, my only issue has been a ground loop which I finally solved.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
What is the mesh on the USB and Ethernet port housings?

( SOtM SMS-200 Networked Audio Player Hardware Teardown and Pictures )

index.php

Top Bottom