• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements and Review of SMSL iDEA and AudioQuest Dragonfly Black DACs

Graph Feppar

I want to use this with my Android 8.0 tablet, I read you need to email them to permanently change the firmware so it doesnt need drivers but then cant play anything more than 96 KHz. I dont care about the sample rate I just fear about some possible headaches becose I read alot bad things about SMSL.

I read that the USB connector is will go bad soon, I read about problems with Android, I read about bad customer support. Should I buy Idea or the cheaper SMSL X4 or should I go for Fiio K1?

I dont need best performance, I mainly want reliable device with driverless operation that works with Android, low power consumption is also high on my priority list.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I want to use this with my Android 8.0 tablet, I read you need to email them to permanently change the firmware so it doesnt need drivers but then cant play anything more than 96 KHz. I dont care about the sample rate I just fear about some possible headaches becose I read alot bad things about SMSL.

I read that the USB connector is will go bad soon, I read about problems with Android, I read about bad customer support. Should I buy Idea or the cheaper SMSL X4 or should I go for Fiio K1?

I dont need best performance, I mainly want reliable device with driverless operation that works with Android, low power consumption is also high on my priority list.
I think the NX4 works without a driver also and has its own battery.
The K1 works fine but its going to rely on your device power which will drain the battery faster .

Porky

Will the Idea do the double duty role of both line level out and headphone amp? Really like SMSL,have a Sanskrit, but need something comparable to the dragonfly as far as output flexibility

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Will the Idea do the double duty role of both line level out and headphone amp? Really like SMSL,have a Sanskrit, but need something comparable to the dragonfly as far as output flexibility

What is your concern about using the Idea's output to feed another amp? If it can drive a low impedance load cleanly, it will do just as well into a high impedance load such as a headamp input.

Porky

What is your concern about using the Idea's output to feed another amp? If it can drive a low impedance load cleanly, it will do just as well into a high impedance load such as a headamp input.
Sejarzo you're correct. Just that Dragonfly specifically touts this capability as if it includes some kind of special impedance sensing circuitry rather than fundamental laws of electricity. Thanks for interest in my question. New to this forum, which is refreshingly nice as compared to other forums clientele.

Porky

Sejarzo you're correct. Just that Dragonfly specifically touts this capability as if it includes some kind of special impedance sensing circuitry rather than fundamental laws of electricity. Thanks for interest in my question. New to this forum, which is refreshingly nice as compared to other forums clientele.
I have ordered a Sabaj DA2, I will see how things go. This is for a customer's whole house audio system (one of many source inputs) so hi-fidelity requirements are not as critical.

Top Bottom