• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements and Review of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
All that said can we get back to the facts , there’s too much speculation here.

I’d be happy if the revelations here lead to schiit making a better job of manufacturing and measured performance, they are free to donate to ASR in loo of our fee for the consultation we have provided :D

Timbo2

I’d be happy if the revelations here lead to schiit making a better job of manufacturing and measured performance, they are free to donate to ASR in loo of our fee for the consultation we have provided :D

In loo or in lieu? ;)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Aren't there supposed to be electronics testing jigs for the final QC ?? I would expect a few oscilloscopes at some stations that deal with final inspection though.
I see those even for really small scale fabrication houses that I sometimes deal with in my line of work.
You are right, they really should have them... one of my family friends used to do testing for corporations and his desk was filled with various electronic testing tools. Although he was a contractor and he was sent first runs of products or products from new facilities to make sure the job was done right.
But the "assembly guy" that they showed had no tools on his desk and he was excited to possibly have the next day off and surely didn't act like an engineering type, although he was only on camera for a short period of time so I could be mistaken. But engineering types are usually not very friendly with the camera.
It is amazing how little regard you show for people, the work they do, and humanity in general. Just the fact you say "low paid employees" is telling. Not everyone regards people a commodity just to be used. smh. Maybe they pay people fairly because that would be the right thing, they are not sweatshop owners. Maybe they respect people and feel they have value, maybe you can try and do the same.
As others have said, I am just making statements based on my own experiences. Lower paid workers are lower paid workers usually for the reason that their tasks are simpler and they typically have less responsibility or liability (although its not always the case, some are just UNDERPAID). But we cannot say what they might be paid, but based on how the guys from Schiit act on forums.... they think that they are gods and that nobody else can touch them. I doubt that those employees are "so fairly paid" (even though I'm not sure what that would mean, since doing QC like listening to music is a "fair" $15/hr task and its likely that they spend less than 10 minutes with each device. Meaning 10 units per hour, $15/hour = $1.5 per unit QC.
And as the guy was talking about their "assembly line" that they just "do a run and then are good for a while" suggests that they have part time/independent contracted employees who just come in for a day or two in order to "do a run".

Jimster480

Major Contributor

yes sorry, lets ask them for a donation as we have done a great technical analysis of their corporation and these sorts of consultations are typically quite expensive. Some people charge hundreds of dollars an hour for them!

gvl

Major Contributor
I can't help but notice this thread starts to lack substance in the last 31 pages or so.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
Jesus , the guy made a appraisal based on his expirence and that of known others he’s not condemning low paid workers.

They might respect their workers but they don’t have much respect for their customers beyond proliferating their own egos going by what we have seen here.

Snarky comments and underhand insults constitute being noble and humane in your eyes at least , good luck with that .lol
Thomas, the entire train of thought is pretty insulting in regards to people, workers salary etc. Who thinks like this? Sounds like third world manufactures and what they think of employees. smh sorry but I find it highly insulting. The salary numbers he is spewing out is the minimum wage in LA!. The fact that it is so easy for someone to imagine this fictitious evil plan for world audio domination by Schiit Audio, shows allot about "their" character not Schiits's!

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
but they don’t have much respect for their customers beyond proliferating their own egos going by what we have seen here.
That is also not totally factual. If you go by percentage all companies will have some QC issues etc. Are you saying all the satisfied customers are clueless? That would be rather hard sell to an outside observer.

palamudin

Ill chime in here cause bashing schiit is great fun for the family. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-causes-this-amp-related.562736/
In linked thread you can see the people being cool with potentially equipment harmful spikes of power coming from schiit amp. Jason or whoever said its ok and the mob nodded in unison "yes, it is ok". Doesn't matter that amp literally chews the membranes of headphones, doesn't matter that multiple people had this issue. Its OK by trust me dude. If i bought a factory product that killed a piece of equipment i have due to assembly, design or cq negligence i would take them to court so badly that they would consider shutting down the business until every piece of equipment has been certified by every damn governing body in existence.
I find it weird they didnt delete the whole thread.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thomas, the entire train of thought is pretty insulting in regards to people, workers salary etc. Who thinks like this? Sounds like third world manufactures and what they think of employees. smh sorry but I find it highly insulting. The salary numbers he is spewing out is the minimum wage in LA!. The fact that it is so easy for someone to imagine this fictitious evil plan for world audio domination by Schiit Audio, shows allot about "their" character not Schiits's!
Its not at all, its just reality. Their facility isn't in LA and the LA minimum wage is $10.50 and not $12 or $15, just because its an overpriced city in billions of dollars of debt doesn't change the reality of the cost of workers.
I think you are trying to just distract the entire conversation by trying to make it into some politically correct bullshit problem because you don't want to focus on the analysis at hand or the products that Schiit is making and their lack of performance regardless of their fake transparency and tons of marketing.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I still don't understand why a $2200 DAC with limited format capability and measures poorly got so many rave paid reviews. Perhaps this is the best evidence yet that the audiophile publishing business is broken. Then again, it's superior to an $18k DAC which measured poorly, LOL.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I still don't understand why a $2200 DAC with limited format capability and measures poorly got so many rave paid reviews. Perhaps this is the best evidence yet that the audiophile publishing business is broken. Then again, it's superior to an $18k DAC which measured poorly, LOL.
Perhaps they thought it sounded good? The relatively poor measurements, which I don't really think they could be considered poor, were either inaudible or did not impact the sound negatively?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
wow, one can observe a truth without endorsing it.

Now let’s move on.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Perhaps they thought it sounded good? The relatively poor measurements, which I don't really think they could be considered poor, were either inaudible or did not impact the sound negatively?
Maybe maybe not, we are here to discuss what we ‘ know’ .

Why claim technical advantage, lower noise etc when it’s clearly not the case.. ( rhetorical)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom