• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements and Review of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

Master Contributor
You should try to get your hands on a yggdrasil and see for yourself. After owning one for 2 years I can say that it sounds drastically different after being left on for a week.

If I listen to my warmed up yggdrasil, turn it off for a few hours, turn it on and listen to it again, the sound becomes very muddy. It continues to sound muddy for about 3 days until it warms up again. It sounds its best after being left on for a week.

It's not audiophile BS. Anyone would be able to hear the difference.

I would like to see tests done on a yggdrasil that has been turned off for 24 hours, then tests done on that same dac after it's been turned on for a week. I believe music should be played through the dac for at least 10 minutes directly before testing.

If the tests do not show any difference between cold and warm yggdrasil, then I'll know computer testing in general is somehow flawed.

Your first post. Welcome aboard.

Not withstanding, I would like you to support or prove your claims rather than shift the burden of proof on to others. :eek: It appears as though you have a faulty product or psychoacoustic variations.

Last edited:

fat0n3s

But dont you understand that even if this really is the case that it is simply indication of shit performance? Who wants a DAC thats thermally unstable? What a load of rubbish the design is in that case.

So do you really expect us to take your sighted uncontrolled subjective opinion as an indication that the measurements are flawed? Really? BTW I think you'll find Amir has done this thing and the measurements problems found with the dac dont change over time.

This Schitt debacle is honestly pure comedy. I guess most of it comes from people being invested in the products they have bought and really, well feeling a bit foolish for getting it wrong.

I'm not saying his measurements are flawed. I'm saying you can hear a difference between a yggdrasil that's warm and cold, and if a computer is unable to see the difference then perhaps computer testing is flawed or maybe not capable of reading what a human ear can hear.

I'm not a schiit fan boy but I do happen to own the yggdrasil and wanted to share the sound differences I can hear when it's warm or cold.

I also agree with you about warmup time. It sucks and I wish it didn't exist in a product that's this expensive.

I also believe Amir when he says the power supply is noisy. Plugging the yggdrasil into a power conditioner makes a pretty major difference in sound quality, which lead me to believe the power supply was lacking.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I'm not saying his measurements are flawed. I'm saying you can hear a difference between a yggdrasil that's warm and cold, and if a computer is unable to see the difference then perhaps computer testing is flawed or maybe not capable of reading what a human ear can hear.

I'm not a schiit fan boy but I do happen to own the yggdrasil and wanted to share the sound differences I can hear when it's warm or cold.

I also agree with you about warmup time. It sucks and I wish it didn't exist in a product that's this expensive.

I also believe Amir when he says the power supply is noisy. Plugging the yggdrasil into a power conditioner makes a pretty major difference in sound quality, which lead me to believe the power supply was lacking.

Or maybe your hearing claims are contestable? o_O You are welcome to verify them, of course.

fat0n3s

Your first post. Welcome aboard.

Not withstanding, I would like you to support or prove your claims rather than shift the burden of proof on to others. :eek: It appears as though you have a faulty product or psychoacoustic variations.

Thanks for the welcome.

I unfortunately don't have the means of computer testing. If I could post charts and graphs of what my ears are hearing, I would gladly do so. Wait, maybe I can throw something together real quick in MS Paint. ;)

I do not believe it is a faulty product or psychoacoustic variations considering the manual tells you to leave the dac turned on 24/7, and schiit themselves talk about warmup time on their website.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Thanks for the welcome.

I unfortunately don't have the means of computer testing. If I could post charts and graphs of what my ears are hearing, I would gladly do so. Wait, maybe I can throw something together real quick in MS Paint. ;)

I do not believe it is a faulty product or psychoacoustic variations considering the manual tells you to leave the dac turned on 24/7, and schiit themselves talk about warmup time on their website.

You have much to learn. You have come to the right place, if you are open to such. Good luck.

P.S. All of the items in your post have been well covered on this forum.

Last edited:

veeceem

Leave all the measurements aside, what do you think about how they sound in listening tests? gen1 vs gen2
I'm ordering gen2 (but still can pick the in-stock gen1 if needed)
So worry to hear that gen2 is even worse :(

Wombat

Master Contributor
Leave all the measurements aside, what do you think about how they sound in listening tests? gen1 vs gen2

Your hearing perception aligns with whom on this forum? Just saying. o_O

veeceem

Your hearing perception aligns with whom on this forum? Just saying. o_O
If you know, please just concentrate on the question and reply with a "yes" or "no", I don't even need evidence :)
Unrelated replies are what makes a topic/post/thread go wrong with endless-unrelated-replies
(Please don't reply to this reply of mine - Thanks)

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

I would say the diffrences you believe you hear are purely down to variable perception and expectation bias and would not be shown to exist under controlled listening conditions.

This forum is evidence based, whilst personal subjective opinion is fine, without anything to back it up I'm its largely meaningless.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

I would cancel. Better performance found elsewhere..........at lower cost.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You should try to get your hands on a yggdrasil and see for yourself. After owning one for 2 years I can say that it sounds drastically different after being left on for a week.

If I listen to my warmed up yggdrasil, turn it off for a few hours, turn it on and listen to it again, the sound becomes very muddy. It continues to sound muddy for about 3 days until it warms up again. It sounds its best after being left on for a week.

It's not audiophile BS. Anyone would be able to hear the difference.

I would like to see tests done on a yggdrasil that has been turned off for 24 hours, then tests done on that same dac after it's been turned on for a week. I believe music should be played through the dac for at least 10 minutes directly before testing.

If the tests do not show any difference between cold and warm yggdrasil, then I'll know computer testing in general is somehow flawed.
Something is definitely “flawed” but it’s not the “ computer testing” .

Iv not doubt you are experiencing a profound change in sound however your looking in the wrong place as far as root cause goes.

I expect You won’t accept this, that’s ok Iv been there too.

Happy listening:)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
There’s been no “ listening tests “ that I know of, my advice would be buy the one with the best resale value.

Don’t ‘ listen to it’ just bung it in your system and think no more about it.. after a period of time you will either be enjoying music more or maybe feeling something is missing. If you feel the variable is due to the dac , sell it and try another one.

Keep doing that with all your hifi, if after awhile you start thinking maybe something else is going on, maybe not solved by a new dac or a New amp or ‘better’ cables pop by here and start asking questions:)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Based on this frequency response error:

index.php

I do NOT recommend that you buy the Gen 2 board unless Schiit shows you measurements that are devoid of that low frequency drop. Ask them if they would measure a Gen 2 board frequency response before shipping it to you. If they do, then I don't see a reason to not buy it if that is your choice of DAC.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can that 1 dB drop be corrected with my dsp?
It should be if it is not indicative of other problems in the DAC. Getting that slope to match may be tricky though but maybe not critical.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Something is definitely “flawed” but it’s not the “ computer testing” .

Iv not doubt you are experiencing a profound change in sound however your looking in the wrong place as far as root cause goes.

I expect You won’t accept this, that’s ok Iv been there too.

Happy listening:)

@Thomas savage ,

you wrote:

«that’s ok Iv been there too».

Sounds like you’re heading the local Audiophiles Anonymous (www.aa.org).

;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks for the welcome.

Listening observations usually won't be proven or dis-proven via computer testing.
Listening impressions can only be substantiated using bias controlled blind listening tests.
Any impressions made under sighted conditions have no validity, the human brain is way too easily fooled by expectations and all the rest.

GearMe

It should be if it is not indicative of other problems in the DAC. Getting that slope to match may be tricky though but maybe not critical.

Quick question re: that graph. Is the reference for the Analog board measurements 0 or -.5 dB's (i.e. is the delta -1 dB or -.5 dB)?

Also...the part I bolded is the far more interesting thing to understand (imo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom