• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement using handheld decibel meter

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am new to measuring room acoustics. I have a decibel meter like the one shown below, and tested it holding on my hands while the system reproduced 5 second sine waves on the bass range (1 Hz increments from 22 to 65Hz). I wrote down the results and plotted below.

I noticed I should discard <31Hz as the meter is not specified to work on that range.

Question is: how accurate is this? Good enough or rubbish? Any suggestions on how to improve such a crude way of measuring (without USB mic and REW, etc)?

Thanks. :)

41XBSFNFmNL._SX425_.jpg

Specifications

• Measures from 30dBA to 130dBA
• Accuracy of +/- 1.5dB
• Resolution to 0.1 dB
• Frequency weighting: A
• Sampling rate of 2x/second
• Frequency response: 31.5Hz ~ 8KHz

graph.JPG

Krunok

Major Contributor
I am new to measuring room acoustics. I have a decibel meter like the one shown below, and tested it holding on my hands while the system reproduced 5 second sine waves on the bass range (1 Hz increments from 22 to 65Hz). I wrote down the results and plotted below.

I noticed I should discard <31Hz as the meter is not specified to work on that range.

Question is: how accurate is this? Good enough or rubbish? Any suggestions on how to improve such a crude way of measuring (without USB mic and REW, etc)?

Thanks. :)

View attachment 33241

Specifications

• Measures from 30dBA to 130dBA
• Accuracy of +/- 1.5dB
• Resolution to 0.1 dB
• Frequency weighting: A
• Sampling rate of 2x/second
• Frequency response: 31.5Hz ~ 8KHz

View attachment 33242

That device is good for measuring absolute sound pressure levels. What you need to measure with REW is a calibrated measurement mic (I recommend miniDSP UMIK-1). You can then calibrate it within REW to show accurate absolute levels with your device.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The A-weighting will severely under-represenent the lower frequencies:

1200px-Acoustic_weighting_curves_%281%29.svg.png

I would prefer a meter that supports C-weighting.

Good info, thanks a lot.
So based on the yellow A-weighted curve, the roll off on my graph is more mic based than actual SPL.

What is actually useable on my graph is the relative amount, that is, that large -10dB dip on 52 Hz, I presume?

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
What is actually useable on my graph is the relative amount, that is, that large -10dB dip on 52 Hz, I presume?
More or less, yes. While it's still skewed by the curve, the relative could be somewhat usable.

That said, filling a dip if often not a good idea - try it. You could be pumping a lot of energy into your speakers without changing much acoustically. If your speakers are bass-reflex, be sure not to boost below the tuning frequency.

I agree with Krunok, it would be best if you got a measurement mic. If you calibrate that to a certain SPL is irrelevant as long as you don't care about absolute levels. But you could use your SPL meter and pink noise to get a good calibration, even with A weighting.

mannye

You might also want to make some sort of rig to put it on a tripod and not hold it your hand. At least that's what I've been told. I use an old analog sound level meter that i got from Radio Shack, but which is still available from other retailers.. and I set it at 90dB "slow" and "C' to adjust for level only. That's not what you're doing, but it's relevant because until I placed it on a tripod I didn't get accurate readings.

603590.jpg

Top Bottom