• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement to show difficult load handling (high phase)?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A high phase angle (45°) results in an amplifier becoming less efficient, dissipating more heat, so it needs to draw more power to make up for that loss in wattage.

If a speaker is low impedance and high phase, it really taxes the amp and many amps will not be able to draw enough power to make up for that difference (and it doesn’t ideally double down with low impedance to start), making some bass notes less powerful.

I wish to know if there is any measurement that would show how well an amp would respond to these difficult loads. I know Amir has a simulated speaker load, but that’s for a specific combination, I want to know if there is some test/measurement to show universally how it handles difficult loads.

Top Bottom