• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement summary of 8 USB-C headphone adapters

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Still searching for a good USB-C headphone DAC, I went crazy and bought 4 additional USB-C adapters with charging support in addition to the 3 I've already reviewed (and the Apple one amirm reviewed):

IMG_20190223_152914.jpg

In the interest of time I did not do a full review of the 4 new adapters; however I did record what device name they show up as in Windows, what bit depths and sample rate they support, and did some unloaded and loaded voltage measurements, primarily to determine the output impedance (which is the most interesting metric for an headphone output IMHO).

I put the results in a Google Spreadsheet; here's a screenshot:

Screenshot_2019-02-23 Untitled spreadsheet(1).png

(Note: a keen eye will notice that the output impedance results are slightly different from the ones in my full reviews. That's because I re-measured using higher-precision resistors (15 Ω 0.1%) that I bought in the mean time. Also the measurements in the spreadsheet are done from Windows, which might explain the slightly different results compared to the Android measurements.)

The "aceyoon", "Belker" (flat), "Kimwood" and "VIMVIP" adapters all seem be related, since they all appear with the "CHBT Audio" USB device display name. The numbers all are identical, too, which strongly suggests they're the same hardware under the hood. The only exception is the VIMVIP, which has significantly higher output voltage for some reason.

The "Belker" (barrel) is unique, but I'm not going to do a full review of it because the output impedance makes it worthless from the start.

It's worth noting how bad the Moshi adapter is. It's more than twice as expensive as all the others yet it offers by far the worst performance due to its atrocious output impedance, even when compared to "no-name" cheap products.

A good USB-C headphone adapter with charging support is still nowhere to be found, at any price.

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
QGeeM dongle:

USB C to 3.5mm Aux Audio Adapter,QGeeM 2 in 1 Type C to AUX Jack Stereo usb c headphone Converter,with Volume Control and PD 60W Charging,Compatible with 2018 Ipad Pro,Pixel 2XL/3/3XL,HTC,USB C TO AUX https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S33GV3V/

Anyone looked at this one? Another CHBT? Output impedance? 5ohm?

Any info, results, opinions appreciated!

mkawa

Forum Donor
i am using the apple adapter with a pixel 3 to much ado. yes, gain is low, but it's definitely not unusable.

GregS

Thanks for this. Can you elaborate on the "low impedance mode" you refer to, for the Pixel 3 adaptor? Does that mean it has a high impedance mode as well? If so, how do you change modes?

OP
edechamps

edechamps

Forum Donor
Thanks for this. Can you elaborate on the "low impedance mode" you refer to, for the Pixel 3 adaptor? Does that mean it has a high impedance mode as well? If so, how do you change modes?

This is detailed in the review of the dongle ("Load sensing behavior" section).

Top Bottom