• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement&Review of Luxury&Precision W1/W2 Portable USB DAC-Amp

Genadyk

Hi guys. I am planning to buy L&P W2 and pair it with Shure SE846. This IEM has low impedance about 8 Ohm and very hard to find the portable USB DAC with low output impedance. Do you know the output impedance of L&P W2? I could not find this info on their home website. I am using Dragonfly Cobalt now and it works well with my IEMs. Thanks.

MarylandUSA

Output Power 195mW @ 32Ω, Output Power: 4Vrms @ 300Ω. Background Noise: <0.9μV, THD+N: 0.00032%(300Ω), THD+N: 0.00039%(32Ω), Output Impedance: 0.12Ω)
The quoted values are almost certainly for the balanced output. What about unbalanced? Power will be lower.

leonidas

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is very good-but obviously this one is much better

Will the W2 also sound better subjectively? Or is the improvement only to be found in numbers and measurements?

What would improve for me as listener with sensitive IEMs if I changed from the Hidizs S9 to the L&P W2?

Thanks!

urfaust

Anybody got one around here? I see it available nowhere else than some shady stores on aliexpress.

After many issues with the dongles i tried, im considering going for the endgame one but i would like to make sure it works properly also on windows and iOS.

0RF30

Anybody got one around here? I see it available nowhere else than some shady stores on aliexpress.

After many issues with the dongles i tried, im considering going for the endgame one but i would like to make sure it works properly also on windows and iOS.

Got mine in Europe on "shady" ali (https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_), no problem, genuine, fast delivery and cheaper than US considering shipping + traxes.
On IOS it seems to be a problem with usb current limitations on some iPhones models (thanks Apple to remind me every day why I never bought one of your products, and never will). On windows the provided driver causes BSOD for now, this Comtrue driver works : https://www.mediafire.com/file/hqu3jjofyu4lqnp/driver_comtrue.7z/file , but you won't get ASIO nor native DSD support (DSD PCM DoP works). I heard L&P should come with new firmware and driver soon.

Last edited:

urfaust

Got mine in Europe on "shady" ali (https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_), no problem, genuine, fast delivery and cheaper than US considering shipping + traxes.
On IOS it seems to be a problem with usb current limitations on some iPhones models (thanks Apple to remind me every day why I never bought one of your products, and never will). On windows the provided driver causes BSOD for now, this Comtrue driver works : https://www.mediafire.com/file/hqu3jjofyu4lqnp/driver_comtrue.7z/file , but you won't get ASIO nor native DSD support. I heard L&P should come with new firmware and driver soon.
Thanks for the great feedback. Exactly what i fear for windows...i might wait a little then (im also on iphone).

What's your take purely from an audio quality standpoint?

Last edited:

0RF30

Will the W2 also sound better subjectively? Or is the improvement only to be found in numbers and measurements?

What would improve for me as listener with sensitive IEMs if I changed from the Hidizs S9 to the L&P W2?

Thanks!

Thanks for the great feedback. Exactly what i fear for windows...i might wait a little then (im also on iphone).

What's your take purely from an audio quality standpoint?

So... Subjectively speaking (I insist on subjectively just to avoid crucifixion), it's not perfect, but it is... very good. Neutral a bit mid forward - maybe, detailed, best soundstage depth (3D for some) in dongle department - among : iBasso DC03 and 04, Hidizs S8 and S9, E1DA 9038GS3 and 9038D, L&P W1 and W2. Dynamic, very nice layering. But... If it's very good on IEMs, not the same level on some full sized headphones. I don't own very sensitive IEMs, but I read a lot of feedbacks saying it's dead silent. I was initially very impressed (and still am), but I see myself switching very often to AKM S9 because... the bass texture and and presence (not bloated, not very forward, not bleeding on mids, just thick, natural, and soooo good). In fact it's the only dongle who gives me good bass on (EQed) Hifiman Sundara and 400i 2020. Layering is also very nice on S9, less detailed than W2, and less soundstage depth. I got in Europe AKM S9 for 80€, W2 for 290€ (shipping included). Is W2 3.5 times better than S9 : absolutely not. But still, probably a winner, depending on your tastes and what you're looking for. For now I think keeping S8 - absolute bargain considering the SQ for money (also pretty good bass, very annoying impedance detection and loose volume buttons, worst provided cable ever), AKM S9 (love it), and W2.

Last edited:

0RF30

How does this thing's power draw compare to the E1DA 9038S?

I don't own an usb voltmeter, but, always subjectively, I think battery draining is higher on W2. Take this with at least three pinches of salt.

Last edited:

0RF30

Windows 10 issues are no more a concern with the new provided driver (WHQL_20210510) - came in addition with the new 1.0.2.6 firmware. No BSOD, freezes or high DPC latency experienced for few days with the new driver.

iPhone clipping issues seems to be limited to very low impedance IEMs if my understanding is correct, and there is a workaround (I'm no iPhone user).

Last edited:

jannek

Hello, I just stumbled about the description of the W2 on HifiGo.com and it mentions that it has a FPGA for EQ processing - and is able to provide EQ settings for specific earphones. Not only the two factory settings. Any information about how this is configurable? The official homepage of L&P is strictly chinese (I suppose) and Google translator does not help because information is embedded in pictures...

bahamot

AFAIK, the eq setting for earphones is pre defined on the firmware. Currently it has 3 earphones eq setting and more will be added on the future firmware.

Last edited:

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
How much power does the W2 draw from its USB input? Will they drain a phone battery faster than E1DA 9038S?

urfaust

I really would like to know how it measures at 50mV. Does anybody know?

Check Wolf's review. Pretty good, still about 105dB SINAD at 50mV and that impedance.

THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level-@32%CE%A9-BAL-Out-1.jpg

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurementreview-of-luxuryprecision-w1/ (Also W2 measurements)

Last edited:

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
It comes from part of my own (not rigorous) psychoacoustic research... trying to change the "hardness" or "looseness" of the sound.
I did notice such a change. 01 sounded 'softer' than 02. How is this achieved?

Top Bottom