• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement request? Electrostatic speaker...

Wesayso

For the longest time, ESL or Electrostat speakers have had many sonic attributes added to them which describes their sound as magical.
Wouldn't it be great to have a near field scan of a speaker like that? Or simply an elaborate amount of measurements to be able to get
pretty much the same information. So we can present it in the Harmon "like" graphs.

I would love to see the infamous ESL 57 or ESL 63 measured. Just to be able to look at the graphs. Could we even make that work?

(sadly, I do not own Electrostatic speakers nor a Klippel Nearfield scanner, so I'm of little help to this request myself)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Dipoles are difficult to assess using Klippel (is what I understood)
Nearfield measurements are also not the right way to measure one because of the large membrane sharp nulls at various frequencies (at different distances) are an issue.

Last edited:
OP
Wesayso

Wesayso

Sounds pretty logical, however it would be awesome to see the graphs even for manually created measurements.
The dipole behavior, no doubt, has it's influence on perception too. This is why it will never be easy to compare graphs
and assign a value to it's sound quality. But it would still be useful.

Top Bottom