• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement of SMSL SA300 by Archimago.

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9685

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/11/measurements-smsl-sa300-infineon-merus.html

I don't know much about audio, but anything that maintains THD+N below 0.1% for possible listening conditions is good enough to Archimago.
Because SMSL SA300 maintains THD+N below 0.1% for his listening conditions, SMSL SA300 is good enough for Archimago.

I don't know how THD translates to other measures like SNR and SINAD.

Can it be good enough for this forum's owner, too?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 9685

SINAD (Signal above Noise and Distorsion, in dB) and THD+N (Total Harmonic Distorsion + Noise, in %) are both the same thing. That combines THD and ANR.

THD+N of 0.1% translates to SINAD of 60dB. Amir thinks 60dB is a low standard. Most amps measured by Amir has higher SINAD than 60dB.
Perhaps, we shouldn't stress too much over SINAD. There are other things such as remote controller which is very convenient.

If an amp and a DAC maintain SINAD above 65dB(THD+N well below 0.1%) and SNR above 96dB(full support for 16 bit audio) for possible listening conditions, then it's probably good enough.

AIYIMA A07 power amplifier had only 14.5 bits of dynamic range(SNR ~84dB) at 5 Watts.
LOXJIE A30 is respectable with 16 bits of dynamic range at 5 Watts. SMSL SA300 is similar to LOXJIE A30, but has a lower SNR.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 9685

The product spec says it has SNR of 90dB. It doesn't have 16-bits of dynamic range (96dB).

eXistenZ78

Hi
I want to connect a Subwoofer to my SA300.
My sub has a couple of RCA connectors (L+R Line Input) and a third one labeled LFE Input, the Manual reports:
"using the LFE input, the crossover control function does not have an effect. This Is due to the crossover
function being controlled by the amplifier to which it is connected."

My question is: Is it better to connect the SA300 sub out to LFE o to L+R Line Input, and why?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
THD+N of 0.1% translates to SINAD of 60dB. Amir thinks 60dB is a low standard. Most amps measured by Amir has higher SINAD than 60dB.
Perhaps, we shouldn't stress too much over SINAD. There are other things such as remote controller which is very convenient.

If an amp and a DAC maintain SINAD above 65dB(THD+N well below 0.1%) and SNR above 96dB(full support for 16 bit audio) for possible listening conditions, then it's probably good enough.

AIYIMA A07 power amplifier had only 14.5 bits of dynamic range(SNR ~84dB) at 5 Watts.
LOXJIE A30 is respectable with 16 bits of dynamic range at 5 Watts. SMSL SA300 is similar to LOXJIE A30, but has a lower SNR.

Did you compare SNR for the amps, or same amp tested by different people on the same basis, such as the output level, weighting (such as unweighted, A weighted etc..)? If not then the difference may not be how they look.

KING DRANZER

Hi
I want to connect a Subwoofer to my SA300.
My sub has a couple of RCA connectors (L+R Line Input) and a third one labeled LFE Input, the Manual reports:
"using the LFE input, the crossover control function does not have an effect. This Is due to the crossover
function being controlled by the amplifier to which it is connected."

My question is: Is it better to connect the SA300 sub out to LFE o to L+R Line Input, and why?
From what I heard even though SA300 has dedicated "SUB" out. It is simply line out. Which means there is no crossover point being applied to either speaker terminals or the SUB out. So complete frequency range is being delivered to both.

Which means you have to use L+R Line Input and then set the Crossover Manually to the point of roll-off on your speakers. Sadly the crossover point is not controllable on SMSL SA300. Don't know what was the point of calling it a "SUB" out in the first place.

That is what I understand from reading through the comments. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Top Bottom