• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement of R2R DAC

gvl

Major Contributor
That graph only shows linearity to a bit more than 120 dB/20 bits though. But sure, if I can one for free to test, I will. :)

They will be releasing a relatively low cost minimalistic Metrum DAC called Flint soon, if you ever dreamed to have a decent R2R NOS DAC in your collection that may be the one to get :)

flint.jpgflint2.jpg

PS: even 20 bits for a R2R is pretty darn good.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
‘Decent r2r NOS dac’ oxymoron.
Keith

gvl

Major Contributor
You can always filter/upsample externally using HQPlayer or even SoX for example, chances are external digital filters are superior to those embedded on DAC chips due to not having the same computational constraints. Decent here means high-speed R2R D/A converter with good linearity, which is what the latest Metrum DACs are, or said to be. Perhaps Amir can check if the claims are true.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
I hope to test the effects of external resampling to that of the DAC itself.....

hat would be interesting but probably dependent on the filter/algorithm used, which there are many?

Arnold Krueger

I hope to test the effects of external resampling to that of the DAC itself.....

Software should always win or tie because it need not run on a limited hardware configuration and need not operate in real time.

I know of no hardware algorithm that can't be executed as software.

mindbomb

thd+n relatively high on the massdrop r2r dac. Is that hinting at linearity issues?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
thd+n relatively high on the massdrop r2r dac. Is that hinting at linearity issues?
It is two orders of magnitude worse than classical DACs. So something is going on there.

Love to measure this and compare it to Schiit Modi 2 Multibit. Anyone will be buying it? If not, I may have to. :)

Veri

Master Contributor

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Veri

Master Contributor
They have some measurements for the Massdrop RDAC already over at SBAF http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/rdac-measurements.6418/

And it doesn't look pretty. It looks like the DAC has just 11 bit of linearity, yucks.

Was about to post this too :) Also note that over at SBAF they don't think this is a "bad" thing per se:

Again, in a nutshell, hard to say how 10.5 bits (ENOB) is going to sound. It likely depends on the type of noise limiting the ENOB. This is one reason I kind of criticized Amir and his performance characterization using Amir-bits. The other is the fact that Amir-bits are not even ENOB.

oLZFuqy.png

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Was about to post this too :) Also note that over at SBAF they don't think this is a "bad" thing per se:

Again, in a nutshell, hard to say how 10.5 bits (ENOB) is going to sound. It likely depends on the type of noise limiting the ENOB. This is one reason I kind of criticized Amir and his performance characterization using Amir-bits. The other is the fact that Amir-bits are not even ENOB.
:)

If he thinks this is my invention, he needs to go and read Robert Harley's article on this topic from 1995 on linearity measurements and how to interpret them: https://www.stereophile.com/content/quality-lies-details-page-5

1528219500663.png

When stereophile used to run this test routinely, they would always attempt to interpret the linearity as I do.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
10.5 bits is 1 part in 1448 or 0.07% so in terms of something like THD you could argue it is below our threshold detection for a full-scale signal. But it also means noise or whatever is only 63 dB down so may be audible at lower levels depending upon the cause of the distortion and how it tracks with amplitude. The point I (and many others) have made before is that either way, given the number of inexpensive DACs that measure much (MUCH!) better, why pay for one that does not?

I suspect "Amir bits" is in reference to Amir's linearity deviation plots which are not based on ENOB per-se (he does not measure ENOB directly IIRC and the metric for deviation is not 6 dB but something lower). I have known and used ENOB for ages but it is not the end-all be-all spec and as long as I know what Amir is doing his scheme provides a good relative reference for comparisons among products. Which is all most of us want anyway.

IMO! - Don (well, the math is not opinion, but check it...)

derp1n

Top Bottom