• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement mic

Chrisr

As I will get access to new apartment in a few days time it's time to really think about room treatment. Basically what I would like to know is what kind of mics make decent measurements?

We have a simple audio interface and do some basic recording at home. So it would be really nice to use a mic through this and later use it for recording vocals or instruments. (Rather than buying some USB based version that will only be used for measuring room response.)

Budget is limited and up high on the list of priorities.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
We have a simple audio interface and do some basic recording at home. So it would be really nice to use a mic through this and later use it for recording vocals or instruments. (Rather than buying some USB based version that will only be used for measuring room response.)

You might want to use the right tool for the job.

Recording vocals or instruments may have different requirements - directionality, frequency response - than a measurement mic - often omindirectional, with flat wideband response, often supplied with a calibration file for the measurement software to use to adjust for the microphone's measured deviations from "flat".

Unless you're just playing around, then, whatever.

Geert

Major Contributor
Forget about reusing your measurement mic for recording. A Behringer ECM8000 is only 30€.

OP
C

Chrisr

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the ECM8000 or similar.

charleski

Major Contributor
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the ECM8000 or similar.
Unfortunately there's a reason these mics are so cheap. They don't come calibrated and the response can vary as much as 5dB at the top and bottom ends, though this is based on old data from 2009, so I'm not sure if it still applies :
ecm8000_frequency_response_large.jpg

A better choice would be a Dayton EMM-6, obviously you need an interface with phantom power, but it sounds like you have that already. This will cost around $70 and Dayton provides individual calibration files linked to the serial number.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might want to use the right tool for the job.

Recording vocals or instruments may have different requirements - directionality, frequency response - than a measurement mic - often omindirectional, with flat wideband response, often supplied with a calibration file for the measurement software to use to adjust for the microphone's measured deviations from "flat".

Unless you're just playing around, then, whatever.
+ 1
To repeat
The right tool for the job
I also would recommend the miniDSP UMik-1. I suppose the Dayton is the same microphone. There these days many good and inexpensive microphones for the purpose of voice recordings. Blue Yeti is one of these with a great online reputation.

Top Bottom