• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement instrument for measurement novice

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m interested in taking sound measurements in my room, to help understand how my speakers are performing and placement etc.

is their such a thing as an entry level sound level meter or similar instrument for spl measurement etc?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm just chiming in with the others. Umik 1, and a computer is all you need. Well and free excellent Room EQ Wizard or R.E.W software.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
is their such a thing as an entry level sound level meter or similar instrument for spl measurement etc?

Included in REW...

To get the same SPL featues in a hand-help SPL meter would probably cost as much or more than the UMIK-1

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to the PC, freeware like REW, and low cost calibrated USB mics like the Umik-1, we're in a golden age for this kind of thing. BTW, I'd also invest in a microphone stand--should run aroud $30 at Amazon.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am in the same boat except I already have a Focustite scarlet 2i2 audio interface. Would you still recommend a USB Umik, or would I be better off getting a calibrated XLR microphine to get started?

technoian

I am in the same boat except I already have a Focustite scarlet 2i2 audio interface. Would you still recommend a USB Umik, or would I be better off getting a calibrated XLR microphine to get started?
As you already have the audio interface I would agree that a calibrated microphone would be the way to go. I use a Sonarworks XREF20 but there are others with similar specs.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Once you folks get accustomed to the REW (free) software and learn how valuable it really is, don't forget to throw the long time developer John Mulcahy a tribute for all the hard work he puts into REW. ;)

Top Bottom