• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement and Review of Schiit BiFrost Multibit DAC

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The kind forum member and semi-idiot who loaned the Bifrost was me! :eek:
I expected bad things but not this bad.
As for why I bought it back then, the multibit marketing was pretty good factor in why I sold my Yulong DA8 for it.

The good news is I currently have the RME ADI-2 DAC.
The bad news is I feel like I have received a failing grade on a report card by submitting that DAC (I'm sure amirm has a list of report cards on members who loaned things out) :oops: .
You pass with flying Colours , most hide from even the mere possibility they could of made a purchasing mistake in Audio so to step up and lend this to amir half knowing the results might be bad is impressive and very much appreciated.

ChuckDigital

Curious as to how long the unit was warmed up for before being tested? It's kind of well known that this chip sounds like crunchy harsh garbage from cold. If it wasn't warmed up, please measure again after letting music play through it for a good 40 minutes or so first.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Curious as to how long the unit was warmed up for before being tested? It's kind of well known that this chip sounds like crunchy harsh garbage from cold. If it wasn't warmed up, please measure again after letting music play through it for a good 40 minutes or so first.
First measurement was probably 5 minutes after power up. The last though was after an hour or more of being on.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Very impractical if true. o_O Not exactly user-friendly.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Amir fascinating as usual, does it measure so poorly as to actually ‘sound’ different?
Keith

ChuckDigital

First measurement was probably 5 minutes after power up. The last though was after an hour or more of being on.

Would be interested in seeing how it measures across the suite after a proper warm up, which is sped up by having music playing.

Very impractical if true. o_O Not exactly user-friendly.

It is what it is. Using a chip that wasn't designed for musical applications has its quirks. 40 minutes is generous, just to be on the safe side.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
The manufacture recommends the dac should be on for days for best sound.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The manufacture recommends the dac should be on for days for best sound.
Where? I just read the manual and didn't see anything about warming it up.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
For best sound they should be left on continuously in someone else’s system.
Keith

SpeedyRodent

Wombat

Master Contributor
AD5547-5557 operating parameters do not indicate any warm-up requirements.

Likely just another audiophile gullibility test or poor design. Some rational posts in that Head-Fi thread didn't deter the technically ignorant believers.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yeh Yeh, that's the ticket.
Amir's bad measurements are invalid cause the unit wasn't warmed up enough.
OH WAIT, and it didn't have the required 1000 hours of breakin.
And I think the source connecting cables were not up to the MultiBits high requirements.
Buzz, Failing grade for Amir. :( :rolleyes:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I never should have let Amir open my Emotiva DC-1
At least I would have passed on the measurement side before a crash and burn on build quality. :mad:
Now I forever have that failing grade on my report card too. :(

Top Bottom