• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement and Review of FX-Audio DAC-X6 DAC (compared to Topping D30 and Fiio E10K)

mindbomb

Let me know if this was not what you were looking for.

yes, this was what I was looking for. I saw in the hardware teardown thread there was some question of component quality, but this seems like pretty standard volume pot performance for the alps rk097.

neu01

Thanks! Very detailed review. Looks like I'll have to add the topping to my xmas shopping list. :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Got accosted at the bar at 1am last night, some audiophile wanted me to go listen to his system.. he made his own subs but also used a little topping amp ( intergrated I think) sounded nice until he turned it up.

I will be intrigued to see how the other topping stuff measures, they are nice little units well build for the money I thought.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Got accosted at the bar at 1am last night, some audiophile wanted me to go listen to his system.. he made his own subs but also used a little topping amp ( intergrated I think) sounded nice until he turned it up.

I will be intrigued to see how the other topping stuff measures, they are nice little units well build for the money I thought.

How did you end up talking subwoofers at 1 AM?

Wombat

Master Contributor
If it was a 'singles' bar and you wanted to hear LPs .................... :)

Nick

Hi, perhaps a bit off topic - however I have the X6 and have an issue - I want to use loudness correction (higher bass & treble at low volumes), and equalizer APO very nicely does this. However, the DAC X6 (SPDIF) volume control in Windows 7 appears to be linear and not logarithmic - which completely stuffs up trying to apply loudness correction.

Has anyone found a fix for the Windows 7 linear (rather than logarithmic) volume control for SPDIF on the X6?

istinnstudio

hi, I would like to note that the "noisy" behavior of the device might have to do with 2-3 aspects mostly,
1. low quality psu: light as a feather, probably noisy. I suggest to retest with a better quality one. Also a li-ion battery powerbank supply @ 12v could produce better signals, I use one of those. The unit do not consume more than 0,5-0,6A probably less as a DAC.
2. A noisy usb port, there has to be a test on battery only or with a mobile phone @ OTG USB mode to be sure.
3. The DAC's usb controller, probably adaptive mode, model via vt1630a, an audio codec ADC/DAC chipset with DSP but only the controller is being used here, there might be a bit higher jitter there but this needs special equipment to measure,
this can be audible probably only on higher end systems or headphones.

So, there might be cheap solutions to reduce noise and reclaim better behavior in those tests especially on the last one.., just a guess.

note1: newer models seem to use an other alternative solution for the USB controller: Saviaudio SA9023 chip.
note2: ASIO drivers do exist (probably a kernel streaming wrapper, works ok with foobar2000):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fx-...tial-sub-100-king.809203/page-4#post_13063331

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi there. Welcome to the forum.

As for the tweaks you suggest, it is best to get a DAC that doesn't need any of that. You will have a more complex and expensive solution otherwise.

I keep all of my test conditions the same/typical. My laptop is the same one I use to drive everything. DACs need to be immune to its activities (USB or otherwise) and come with whatever power supply delivers the best performance.

istinnstudio

thanks, I agree. Anyway, in the case that someone has, or intend to get the unit, a better quality spare 12v psu could provide some improvements. Any 3,5 external hard disk will have a better psu than the included garbage. Better to use one with with Ferrite Ring Core. Of course do not expect miracles.

FireLion

I have had mine for sometime, It didn't have any damaged capacitors or shoddy soldering. I did swap the opamp to an NE5532 and thought it was better.

istinnstudio

This DAC uses the CS8416 spdif receiver
According to this official document: https://statics.cirrus.com/pubs/appNote/AN339REV1.pdf
there is an option to use a less jitter mode, I have used spdif input with an external xmos usb to spdif converter at max 192k, so I guess PDUR=0 mode has been selected at hardware level.

Do you know a way to set this mode to PDUR=1 on this unit and use it only at 96k?

example: http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1879

https://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/jitter1_e.html
Transmitter jitter is injected into the data link by the transmitter, because of internal clock phase noise (intrinsic jitter)...

edit:
this board design also has a jumper (J6) to set this value: http://www.pavouk.org/hw/modulardac/en_cs8416spdif.html
and this one
https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/nightwish_daisuki/64025338.html

it seems that a 47k resistor has to be used to connect the TX pin 20 to a point with +5v (or 3.3v) ?? I am not sure.

Last edited:

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dear AmirMi. I have said FX Audo X6 for a long time (year or more). It was said in the forums from the very beginning of its 2 shortcomings - weak power supply and garbage USB input. Power supply piece can be helped. On Amazon for around 10 you can buy 12V 6A (or 3A. still better than supplied 12V 1A). I did buy a new stronger power supply and it helped with both headphone and linear output quality (subjectively). Could you please remeasure this DAC-Amp using alternative power supply?

staffy

Hello guys :) This DAC seems like a perfect fit for my budget, but the thing I'm most concerned is poor frequency response (here). I was trying to find another measurements to confirm that this affects every piece, but unfortunately, there is none :/ Are you aware of any "mod" that can be done to fix this? Thank you.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello guys :) This DAC seems like a perfect fit for my budget, but the thing I'm most concerned is poor frequency response (here). I was trying to find another measurements to confirm that this affects every piece, but unfortunately, there is none :/ Are you aware of any "mod" that can be done to fix this? Thank you.
If you are over 40, it won't be an issue due to hearing loss. :)

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey, Staffy. You can get better power supply. My unit died after about a year. So I don't know if I should suggest this to you. It has very powerful headphone amp going for it. USB input is bad and glitchy. But optical and coaxial are very decent. My overall suggestion is to get separate DAC and headphone AMP. The DACs reviewed in this forum all have very weak amplifiers.

staffy

If you are over 40, it won't be an issue due to hearing loss. :)
Well, I'm not :) But it is true that I cant hear 15kHz. Just for good measure I would like to have "ruler flat" listening system. Btw, so far my setup is PC -> DIY BUF634 Amp -> AKG K7xx. My other candidates for sub 100USD combo are Fiio E10k and SMSL M3 (plus maybe Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier).

Top Bottom