• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Measurement and Review of FX-Audio DAC-X6 DAC (compared to Topping D30 and Fiio E10K)

Aibo

I just got X6 this morning, listened to it and was actually surprised with how good it sounds. So I came here searching for measurements and realized they're one of the worst I recently saw... But it actually sounds very close to D30, maybe not as good but damn close. And this treble roll-off doesn't bother me because I can still hear all of the tiny atmospheric details, just not as pronounced as with some Toppings. I can still hear up to 18.5 KHz and I hate sharp noisy highs much more than rolled off highs.

I'm going to give it another spin in the evening, that's when I'm at my best mood for listening. But initial impression is really good.

I used one of these at my previous office for years. It hit a sweet spot of price/performance for that environment. Enough ambient sound that better performance would be irrelevant, and cheap enough that I don't think twice about leaving it there unattended.

As pure DAC it is good, its linear out has linear freq response (when u feed it 96Khz resampled, 44 and 48 are rolled off). Its headphone amp rolls off no matter what. And USB input is glitchy. And u need better power supply.

I just got X6 this morning, listened to it and was actually surprised with how good it sounds. So I came here searching for measurements and realized they're one of the worst I recently saw... But it actually sounds very close to D30, maybe not as good but damn close. And this treble roll-off doesn't bother me because I can still hear all of the tiny atmospheric details, just not as pronounced as with some Toppings. I can still hear up to 18.5 KHz and I hate sharp noisy highs much more than rolled off highs.

I'm going to give it another spin in the evening, that's when I'm at my best mood for listening. But initial impression is really good.

Grantman

Fyi, I've switched from the Dac-X6. I found my laptop onboard actually had better mid's and high's. For the price yes it is quite incredible as you get an excellent case and plenty of juice to power HD6XX, but the clarity just wasn't there.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-atom-headphone-amp.5262/page-18#post-124862

I tried another power brick from an old wifi router, and noticed no difference. I was just using USB however as I wanted to bypass my onboard laptop dac. As just a dac it might be better?

Top Bottom