• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement and Review of Emotiva DC-1 DAC

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another test that I have started to like is the SMPTE Intermodulation Test

Kinda disappointed how poorly the Topping D30 performed in that metric. Now, -45dB at -30dBFS (where vocals are around, at least for wide dynamic content like movies), is less than 1%, so it likely isn’t much of an issue.

Is the IMD tests you do the same? Because sometimes the graph is a different asthetic, like the Khadas Tone Board’s IMD measurements is a different looking window.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is the IMD tests you do the same? Because sometimes the graph is a different asthetic, like the Khadas Tone Board’s IMD measurements is a different looking window.
These were performed using my older Audio Precision hardware/software. Tests from roughly May of this year are with the newer analyzer and hence the different look. I did compare a few and the performance in this regard was pretty similar between the two instruments.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a DC-1 which I bought new in May 2014. It served as the heart of a music server through a Mac Mini. Worked fine. In mid-2018, it began failing -- shutting itself down, presumably thermal protection but not sure. I shelved it, wasn't sure what I would do. This review got me to thinking, so I contacted Emotiva. Turns out, the unit has a 5-year warranty, so they're going to take it in and fix it. I'll report back on what went wrong, but it sure seems like poor parts or layout could be the culprit.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'll report back on what went wrong, but it sure seems like poor parts or layout could be the culprit.
Yes, please let us know how it turns out. Mine (the one in this review) was purchased 6/2015, still works without issue but as I mentioned in this thread earlier, my main concern with the unit was the high temp it ran at for a device like a DAC. I also talked about it on the Emo Lounge users site a few years back. I added some tall 3/4" feet early on to allow better air flow thru the ventlation holes which are all but completely blocked on the bottom with the tiny feet that only allow about a 1/8" of air space underneath. Might be something worth looking at after you get the device repaired.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good after sales and warranty support is one of the things that marks out a good company in my opinion. It is also one of those things that tends to get lost in reviews. There is something to be said for paying for something from a manufacturer that stands behind their product.

Reactions: TKO

suttondesign

Forum Donor
my main concern with the unit was the high temp it ran at for a device like a DAC. I also talked about it on the Emo Lounge users site a few years back.

Now that you mention it, mine always ran pretty hot too. It sat on the top of an equipment rack in a systems closet with space around it and a return-air vent above it, so air was moving through but not like a vortex or anything. The DC-1 is pretty tightly packed in a small chassis; I picked up the Emotiva PT-100 to limp by until I figured out what to do, and that newer model is full-sized and runs much cooler for whatever reason. Hey, Amir, do you want me to send you the PT-100 to measure once I get the DC-1 back?

gvl

Major Contributor
Interestingly all DACs are gone from the Emotiva store. They even cleared the portable "Ego" devices, they dumped them at like $50-60 on clearance, those who reacted fast got a good deal.

gvl

Major Contributor
They had 3 stand-alone DACs models, now none, well, except the PT-100 which is not exactly that. There were rumors them releasing a DSD-capable DC-1 successor but nothing so far.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
I really wish that:

1) More manufacturers would include analog inputs on DAC/amps like this - the obvious reason being turntables.
2) Emotiva would release the DC-2 already!
3) Somebody would put their DC-1 up on eBay, I've been waiting until it made sense to get one and now nobody is selling!

They had 3 stand-alone DACs models, now none, well, except the PT-100 which is not exactly that. There were rumors them releasing a DSD-capable DC-1 successor but nothing so far.

There are details out there about the DC-2, it's well overdue but existed as of Oct. 2018: http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/50256/dc-2?page=12

Reactions: gvl

suttondesign

Forum Donor
Update on my Emotiva Stealth DC-1, I sent it back to Emotiva near the end of its warranty because it won't stay powered on. It came back and just continued shutting itself off. What a letdown. I placed a good PC quiet fan directly on it to test it for a few hours -- to no avail, while running cool, the unit still shuts itself down. Whatever Emotiva did, it didn't work. Honestly, for a $500 DAC that worked for almost 5 years, I can justify throwing it away rather than continuing with a shipping runaround, plus the inevitable failure of communication when you get something fritzy like "sometimes works, no rhyme or reason why it shuts itself down."

I'm running RME units now, and I am hopeful that they will do better over the long haul.

What this site suggests to me is that because because manufacturers have not been checked for years, they're selling marginal products and just rolling along with marketing to create a mystique or else just telling falsehoods when they puff about their quality. Handling units like RME and Benchmark shows what is possible, and while expensive, I think they are worth what you pay for them. I've never been owned or handled anything like a David Rowland or Krell or whatever -- I have never even known someone who knows someone who owns such products -- but for solid products within an ordinary person's range, this site shows that there are some marvelous products along with the smelly turds.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Whatever Emotiva did, it didn't work. Honestly, for a $500 DAC that worked for almost 5 years, I can justify throwing it away rather than continuing with a shipping runaround, plus the inevitable failure of communication when you get something fritzy like "sometimes works, no rhyme or reason why it shuts itself down."
I hear what your saying, but if it was me I'd call CS and tell them what's going on and to send you a call tag to get it picked up for the next round of shipping costs. Don't let them get away with lousy service, that only encrourages more action like it in the future. What have you got to loose besides a few minutes on the phone? ;)

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Handling units like RME and Benchmark shows what is possible, and while expensive, I think they are worth what you pay for them.
That's certainly my preference, especially with reasonably mature technology. There's no such product in cell phones, for example.

That said, it can be hard to justify paying much more for durability/serviceability when something such as the Atom performs so well for $100. (Not to imply that it's unreliable or unfixable!) If it fails at 5 years ($0.39 per week!), bin it. Only the landfills & grandchildren will weep. Perhaps the larger problem is with expensive products which either don't perform or cannot be repaired affordably. Your Emotiva looks okay in that context.

Anyhow, thanks for the update. That's the sort of report which benefits consumers! Our current Flavor of the Month, First-Look Unboxing Video!, "would you like to review the product we just shipped?" markets need some balance.

Also, that's Jeff Rowland... :)

suttondesign

Forum Donor
Update on Emotiva customer service. When I called them to say the "repaired" Stealth DC-1 DAC was still on the fritz, they offered, without my asking, to send me a UPS shipping label so that it can go back in again. Sounds like they would really like to help.

Top Bottom