• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measured (!) speaker cable difference!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As mentioned by @SIY, this type of analysis and measurement has already been done and published. Here is where they net out:

https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=5975
Effects of Cable, Loudspeaker, and Amplifier Interactions
Author: Davis, Fred E.
JAES Volume 39 Issue 6 pp. 461-468; June 1991

1629347658204.png

1629347836868.png

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All true... Except the difference between various measured cables seems to be an order of magnitude higher (in dB's) than what others report...
Eh? No, the FR variation measured here is well within what has been reported elsewhere. -1.5dB in the highest octave is totally within range (see the Davis paper from Amir above). And 0.5dB at a lower frequencies is also perfectly reasonable depending on the particular impedance curve of the loudspeaker.

OP
Raindog123

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Thanks, @amirm!

-1.5dB in the highest octave is totally within range (see the Davis paper from Amir above).

Sorry, can't see 1.5dB. Which figure is it? I see a non-linearity 'dip', eg, in Fig. 14. But the curve 'bundle' is pretty tight everywhere (<0.5dB).

Last edited:

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, @amirm!

Sorry, can't see 1.5dB. Which figure is it? I see a non-linearity 'dip', eg, in Fig. 14. But the curve 'bundle' is pretty tight everywhere (<0.5dB).
Figs 13 and 14 in that paper report -1.5dB at 20khz across multiple cables. You'll have to look at other sources if you want to see 0.5db differences in other parts of the audio spectrum because again it varies based on the impedance curve of the speaker chosen for the measurements.

As a separate source look at the effects of simple dc resistance - it creates FR deviations on the order of 4-5 dB!
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Last edited:
OP
Raindog123

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Figs 13 and 14 in that paper report -1.5dB at 20khz across multiple cables. You'll have to look at other sources if you want to see 0.5db differences in other parts of the audio spectrum because again it varies based on the impedance curve of the speaker chosen for the measurements.

I think we still do not understand each other. We do not argue that there is variation with frequency. The conversation is that between various cables, the difference is not significant (thus audible):
1629347658204.png

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Absolutely unsupportable. Cables can certainly affect sound reproduction. It's been documented that net impedance (both resistive and reactive) affect amplifier frequency response in many cases. And cables can vary significantly from one another in their reactive load, capacitance and more especially inductance.

Now, this doesn't mean that stupidly expensive cables ever make economic sense, but that's another issue altogether.
I think we still do not understand each other. We do not argue that there is variation with frequency. The conversation is that between various cables, the difference is not significant (thus audible):
View attachment 148336

OK, regarding the article, I don't have access so unable to read it. Could you describe a bit more on how the testing is done? Since most speakers have crossovers, I would say its entirely possible for cable + crossover measurements to be very different from just cables alone. This is why I always feel that measuring cables alone isn't going to be adequate, its has to be together with the speaker. Since it may not be esay to simulate an actual speaker, perhaps it might be easier to simply use a mic to measure the sound produce. If a cable does produce any difference, this should be also reflected in the sound produced.

OF course, there are always experimental errors involved since air temp/pressure and even equipment temp affects sound produced. However, this should not produce big variations once equipment is sufficient warm-up.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
To be sure, what are A’ and B’?

The important connections you didn't draw.
A' is the - side of the amp output and B' is D but at another point.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Between the cables tested the difference is kind of insignificant.
Take a look at the delta at 10kHz (something most old times can still hear and those are the audiophile ones.
The difference is 0.15dB there. The worst cable/speaker combo seems to be 0.2dB.
You can consider this audible, I don't or at least it is highly questionable but certainly not night and day.
This is a 3m cable, no idea what diameter/geometry cables though nor speaker impedance.
Amp B seems to have a non close to 0 output resistance and given its FR response appears to be a tube amp with output transformer.
The 300b amp Clorin used seems to be superior in FR (but not in output resistance ..perhaps)
Also note that the 300b amp, aside from high output R has an output transformer so the ground path differs so that's why it has a different shape.

It certainly is not 1.5dB for double the wire resistance as measured here. Given the measured speaker impedance it makes no sense either.
It is very clear the measurements are incorrect. They simply can't be correct. It is pointless to find out why unless Clorin wants to make more measurements using the same test setup. I don't recommend it the setup is clearly incorrect.

Look at PMA test results for reference to reality.

In short:
The measurements seem to be incorrect due to the execution of the test setup. No one can replicate it as info to do so is missing.
Measuring cables using suitable gear and connections is not that hard but just like any other measurement must be executed well. No point in figuring out exactly what went wrong (maybe more than 1 aspect), If someone wants to measure cables the same way result (no accurate description present) it simply is not possible unless the exact same wiring and gear is used. Then you get the same (but wrong) result.

Better to redo the test but this time with a proper setup.

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
Let's look at the original "frequency response" again:
index.php

It is blatantly obvious (and was mentioned already) that this is NOT a frequency response of the voltage at the speaker terminals. We can see it scales with current (as implied by the speaker impedance), more current gives higher reading, and the higher the cable resistance the larger --> this is a current** measurement with the cable as the sense resistor/impedance. And of course the differences seen have nothing to do with actual voltage...

EDIT
**) current is dominating but some part of voltage is also present, this is why the "no cable" measurement doesn't give an even lower values than the thickest cable. Also it seems to be subtractive as at some points the cables drop below the "no cable" line which can only be the result of cancelling (and note current and voltage are in phase exactly at the high points of the speaker impedance and those points render lowest here --> so what was measured seem to be a*(speaker voltage) + b*(voltage drop along the cable), with a and b having opposite signs.

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
Look at PMA test results for reference to reality.

This is my typical measurement of speaker cable transfer function when loaded with a real speaker (more in the link already posted). It is a voltage transfer of

A(f) = V(speaker terminals)/V(amplifier terminals)

In my case the ripple due to interaction of cable impedance with speaker impedance is <0.2dB. It will differ a bit with another speakers but will not get as high as 2.5dB. As you have already written, the test of the system has to be performed first to exclude possible loop voltage induction. Both measurements of speaker voltage and amp voltage must be made with balanced inputs. Purely resistive load may be used instead of the speaker to verify the measurement accuracy. R+L to R calculations are trivial.

6mcable_A250W_effect.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
6m of 0.75mm extension cord will be a lot worse of course but won't be reaching the levels Clorin got at 4m using a rather 'friendly' 8 ohm speaker.
It's a bit silly to connect speakers with 6m of 0.75mm2 extension cord though. This is asking for audible differences.
Not one person serious about audio and highe end speakers will ever use such cable. Fun to test but pointless.
There are nice tables showing what diameter wire is needed for which length and which speaker.
In the end its mostly voltage division due to the ohmic component in the cable and for longer lengths at frequencies above 10kHz other aspects are at play.

Last edited:
Reactions: pma

audio2design

Major Contributor
The Audio Critic had an interesting feature (I've tried unsuccessfully to find it again) in which the effect of cable impedance (and of that, largely inductance) on amplifier frequency response. I think this was back in the 1980s, so amp design varied from today. Bottom line is that high-inductance cables could have pretty sizeable impact on the FR of the power amp.

That's not news.

audio2design

Major Contributor
You say the amp output impedance is .1 ohm. I don't think it stays there at high freqs. or the plots into a restive load would be flatter.

Cable inductance. Wide spaced cables can have high inductance. Rise seems a bit large but the no cable is not flat so add the two.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use very long thin cables for my surrounds. :rolleyes: A WAF thing.

Nice to see the classic Davis paper. I have paper copy in my “audio research” binder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom