• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurable aspects of sound perception

PeterZui

The number of fallacies in those two sentences is truly boggling. Swapping inputs in your setup (you do have a selector switch) on your pre-amp shouldn't hurt anything. The fact you do not like blind testing simply rejects tested, established science about auditory perception, and that statement is not merely my "perception" it is an established part of human knowledge, so don't even go there.
A blind test can be as long as you want.
You don't have to actually close your eyes, to take a "blind test", and the literature on this, should you ever have informed yourself, would make you aware of the fact you've claimed 3 nonsensical things, along with your contempt for actual human knowledge.

Think I'm having a conversation with a directive teacher right now. Please don't take it all to serious :)
What is wrong questioning actual human knowledge and my perception of this ? Do you think we know the major part ?

PeterZui

Your comments are incorrect and extremely insulting to anyone who actually uses the scientific method, so attempting to frame the victim as the aggressor here is just another insult.

Please don't feel insulted by any statement. We might agree this is a perception in this case only and nothing scientific.
From this point of view your remark has the same value as mine and is only personal

PeterZui

Perhaps it should be that I should stop arguing with imaginary friends? ;)

We can can agree "this is no answer to the question and you omit discussions with others than "friends.
Concerning imaginary friends; Do You Have Others ?? :D:D
I personally appreciate discussions with friends who like to think otherwise ..........

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hi Thomas Savage,

Appreciate the "higher level" wording and appreciate your predictable actions as a moderator on this site
Talking about "substantial" I would like you to read the discussions more as a scientific researcher and reacting on the statements than as a representative of donating members. (just my p.o.v., don't mean to be insulting. Just trying to understand how things work by stating things and receive reactions)
How things work is we are a bunch of audio enthusiasts that enjoy debate that's respectful of knowledge and aims to be a constructive exchange. Rather than a pseudo intellectual journey into the deepest reaches of philosophy or just confidently asserted misconceptions and yes accusing me of representing donating members interests over any other is both insulting and arrogant on your behalf. ( Well done on trying to package it within a vale of civility or possibly just condescending).

i see no constructive end to your presence here and iv no interest in further debate of the kind you seem to want to instigate in this thread. ( Maybe a new thread would be appropriate) .

This is not the forum for you imo, you can prove me wrong of course and start posting audio related content that holds water and respects ' audio science and engineering' .

Anything else and you will be on permanent leave from here . ( Unless you want to donate, then you will protected)... ( Shakes head)

id just drift off elsewhere if I were you, I'm sure many places would be receptive towards you. Our members don't seem to be ( my only concern )

cheers

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
To all: any time someone starts spouting nonsense about quantum theory, ask them how to solve the Hamiltonian for a slanted potential well of width Xo. :cool:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
To all: any time someone starts spouting nonsense about quantum theory, ask them how to solve the Hamiltonian for a slanted potential well of width Xo.

Well, ya just Google it!

1582493009990.png

See?

It's X, just like everything else!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Great, now what's the form of the solution for the slanted well? :D

Amusingly, it's a simple but interesting problem that doesn't seem to be covered in most textbooks, so it's harder to fake the answer.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Ok, I admit it.

I have no clue.

(but I wasn't spouting earlier, either)

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi j-j, I seem to disagree as we are all part (and result as I see it) of quantum-mechanics.
There are no absolutely truths but only probabilities.

According to the many-worlds interpretation, I am sure there's a branch of reality where everyone on this board and elsewhere is awestruck by the depth of your analysis. Unfortunately, this isn't the one we currently share.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
According to the many-worlds interpretation, I am sure there's a branch of reality where everyone on this board and elsewhere is awestruck by the depth of your analysis. Unfortunately, this isn't the one we currently share.

Well, there are different ways to be awestruck after all.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that some here are indeed awestruck...

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great, now what's the form of the solution for the slanted well? :D

Amusingly, it's a simple but interesting problem that doesn't seem to be covered in most textbooks, so it's harder to fake the answer.

I suspect Pythagoras intervenes at a very basic level, the distribution gets skewed and the zombie cat can't find a place to rest comfortably. I don't know if I would ever call it "a simple" problem though (which, I guess, clearly shows my limitations) o_O

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I suspect Pythagoras intervenes at a very basic level, the distribution gets skewed and the zombie cat can't find a place to rest comfortably. I don't know if I would ever call it "a simple" problem though (which, I guess, clearly shows my limitations) o_O

It actually is relatively simple, but you have to know the basics. Anyone who's a regular here who wants to know the answer can PM me.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
What is wrong questioning actual human knowledge and my perception of this ? Do you think we know the major part ?

1) questioning is one thing, arguing against robust observations is, however, disingenuous and a waste of time.
2) "do we know the major part" is a bald-faced exercise of the fallacy of appeal to ignorance.

Testable, verifiable, falsifiable. If you are as philosphical as you claim to be, you can write your own refutation for your posts.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Please don't feel insulted by any statement. We might agree this is a perception in this case only and nothing scientific.
From this point of view your remark has the same value as mine and is only personal

From the point of view of externally confirmable data, your statement is just another insulting statement.

Testable, verifiable, falsifiable. May the ghost of Karl Popper rise within you and help you through this.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From the point of view of externally confirmable data, your statement is just another insulting statement.

Testable, verifiable, falsifiable. May the ghost of Karl Popper rise within you and help you through this.
The dark force is strong in him. SCNR:cool:

Top Bottom