• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Meanwhile in Australia...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I just had to kill two giant wolf spiders that were the size of my outstretched hand. Abdomens as big as my thumb. One decided to come out of the engine bay the other day while I was driving and casually walk over the windscreen and back into the engine bay. The other I had to flame up on the back deck with a can of spray and a lighter. He was massive.

Biggest spiders I have ever seen. Bigger than the bird-eating spiders up in north Queensland.

Carpet pythons are cool, we have several around the house including a 12ft one we haven't seen for a while- he's in the roof someplace. Never get a rat or mouse thanks to him. Sometimes they catch a possum or bandicoot and can't get back in the roof as they are so fat. Takes several days to digest and expel the guts.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
But if you ask most Aussies what they worry about, it’s being swooped by magpies in spring.

Not ours, they bring their young to introduce them each year. They also like bacon, sausages and basically anything from our fridge I was going to throw out. I whistle and they come. :)

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My wife freaked out the first time a scorpion came into the house. I captured it, surrounded it with lighter fluid, and lit it, when it realized it couldn't escape the flames, it committed suicide by stinging itself to death. She stated reservations about moving in with me after that.

OP
H

Headphonaholic

I've heard that Australia can be a scary place and you guys are confirming it lol

cjfrbw

I hear some of the crocodiles steal beer and float around belly up snoring water.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
... but then you have quokkas. A land of extremes...

Feargal

I worked with an Aussie guy a number of years ago here in the UK. He said nothing he'd seen scared him more than seeing (in the UK) a stag beetle - especially when he realised they can take off and fly! (they're harmless).

1569403101614.jpeg

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Not ours, they bring their young to introduce them each year. They also like bacon, sausages and basically anything from our fridge I was going to throw out. I whistle and they come. :)

After the wonderful weather, spectacular beaches, and amazing surf, magpies are what I miss the most.

I let one of them in the garage one day to hunt for a bit of tucker. Later in the day, the same magpie swooped down and sat beside me on the step (like less than 15 cm away). He'd often come by to say hello after that. Remarkable creatures with complex social structures.

Touchstone

Not magpies, but related. And excellent musicians:

LM179-R-bird.jpg

Don't inquire too closely about the butcher bird's banqueting habits.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I read somewhere that the Australian magpie has the most musically diverse call of any bird. After listening to them, and other Australian birds such as the kookaburra, I started to think about why this might be.

Drawing from some experience with high frequency automatic link establishment (ALE) radios, I believe the diversity and frequency agility of Australian birds is an evolutionary trait to ensure parts of the call can punch-out over the din of the bush. Rustling dry leaves, the roar of cicadas etc. can be almost deafening at times. Since it's impossible for a small bird to compete on a sound pressure level, the only alternative is to cleverly use the frequency spectrum to get warning and mating calls out.

The aboriginals seem to have adopted the same approach with the bullroarer, which uses frequency modulation as a way of generating sound above the din of the bush.

I have no idea if this is true... it was just a thought that came to me during my many bush walks in a country of unparalleled beauty.

Top Bottom