• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MDAC and Cyrus2

Desmo67

Has anyone had issues with pairing the MDAC and Cyrus2 (issue 06 - 1st model). I've recently paired the 2 and have noticed some odd behaviour. I've a TV, PC, CD player all plugged in to the DAc, which is outputting to the Cyrus.
When I tried to enable the internal pre-amp the sound became very distorted and broken up (both from the Cyrus and DAC headphone jack).
When I'm listening to the PC via USB through headphones plugged into the DAC and switch on the amp (Cyrus) the output from the DAC is cut off.
The only way to resolve these problems is to switch the DAC off and on.
I've been experimenting a little and have found no problems with any sources to the DAC when it is not connected (via RCA) to the Cyrus ( ie listening via the DAC headphone jack).
I have connected a Rega ear via RCA to the DAC and listened to all sources without issue.
The Cyrus causes no issue when components are plugged into it directly.

Is this just due to an incompatibility between DAC and amp or is there another problem. I've since noted from the MDAC manual (which I have now downloaded) that it states to never set the fixed output level (enable the internal pre-amp if I read correctly) if the unit is connected to an amp without gain control. I've googled Cyrus 3 and gain control but found nothing.

Having had a look inside the Cyrus, I've noticed how worn the female RCA connects are .. not having much luck finding replacements .. any ideas ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom