• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Rats...it only has 1 analog input.

That means if I ever want to augment my turntable with a reel-to-reel, I'm screwdd.

Only 2X as much to get the Manhattan for that extra input.

While not elegant, you could augment the inputs with an ADC of the $79 Behringer 204HD or $100 404HD (2o4 has better specs).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Rats...it only has 1 analog input.

That means if I ever want to augment my turntable with a reel-to-reel, I'm screwdd.

Only 2X as much to get the Manhattan for that extra input.

Or you could get one of these Focusrite Clarett units. You would need the digital RIAA for phono. And use an ipad or iphone for remote. Oh these are Thunderbolt units btw.

Also I believe you can get the Mytek Brooklyn ADC which I do believe has phono capability. That would seem a better way to double the price than going for the Manhattan. Brooklyn ADC and Brooklyn DAC.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Emotiva offers a expansion unit for there DAC that might come in handy. It has 3 analog inputs and a phono input with one analog output.
https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/electronics/sp-1
sp1_front_0.png
Emotiva offers a expansion unit for there DAC that might come in handy. It has 3 analog inputs and a phono input with one analog output.
https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/electronics/sp-1
sp1_front_0.png
I don't quite get it...is it a riser card and new backplate for existing Emotiva users?

Or like a break-out box with multi-inputs that connect to XLR?

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you had $5k-7k to drop on a "do everything preamp / DAC" (analog, digital, phono, headphone), would you buy a McIntosh go a different direction?

I wouldn't, there is better value in the Japanese hifi like Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc.

I would only go Mac if you're putting together a matching system. It looks a bit out of place among other components.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I wouldn't, there is better value in the Japanese hifi like Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc.

I would only go Mac if you're putting together a matching system. It looks a bit out of place among other components.

Active speakers, no CD player, sources are streaming and turntable, so ideally I only need 1 component.

But I get what you're saying.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Benchmark DAC3 is pretty decent, has an analogue input, the case isn't fancy but it works and sounds as good as anything else.
Keit

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't quite get it...is it a riser card and new backplate for existing Emotiva users?

Or like a break-out box with multi-inputs that connect to XLR?
No, it is a stand-alone component designed as a matching companion piece to their DC-1 DAC but would function just as well with any of the current Preamp/DACs. Single ended only in/out I'm afraid. Maybe I'm mis-understanding what you want to do?

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All the ones that I mentioned earlier (phono input for MM/MC, DAC with consumer SPDIF inputs, analog preamp with XLR and RCA in/out, headphone amp, remote control).

I think you can get most of that besides RIAA input and adding that it's a huge deal. Plus it will leave $3-$4K in your pocket.

Top Bottom