• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh XCS1.5K launched

3125b

Major Contributor
What a monstrosity.

They barely managed four drivers on the speaker Erin reviewed, so I have my doubts.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Separate pairs of binding posts are available for the mid/high, low, and subwoofer frequencies to allow for bi- or tri-amping or bi- or tri-wiring."

FFS, it's a center channel. Clearly targeted to people with more money than sense: $40,000.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm your huckleberry. If only I had a few hundred thousand dollars to blow on speakers!

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Some day they'll release height speakers... And they will need a complete ceiling to be installed.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
For forty large you'd think they could at least throw in a blue meter. Or a tube with some green LEDs in the socket.
At those prices, RGB at least. Flashy RGB is a +10db SINAD just as in PC, it's +10 FPS.

AwesomeSauce2015

They claim a power rating of 1500w...
The horizontal directivity will either be really impressive, or it will completely suck with that driver arrangement. Probably the latter...
If I was blowing that much on speakers, I'd build a proper room with a false wall, and not need a center channel of that type, so this model has priced itself out of the market.
Also, if I had the budget for this center, I wouldn't be using these. I'd have a JBL Synthesis dealer come in and build the system for me, with horn tweeters, not lines of domes.

Conclusion: Rich idiots is the target market for this speaker. It is also designed to sell massive (and therefore crazy expensive) amps.

But note: If they made a model of that turned 90deg, to operate like a normal line array, it would probably be incredible, given the obvious tweeter headroom. (Assuming that McIntosh can actually make good sounding speakers). - Note 2: Although it would be incredible, I still would rather have a single compression driver + horn tweeter. It would get just as loud and not have the directivity issues that this arrangement will have.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean in theory that thing could have beastly output and very controlled dispersion. Would be fascinating to see measurements.

It does look pretty cool, so I give them points for that.

OP
P

poxymoron

But note: If they made a model of that turned 90deg, to operate like a normal line array, it would probably be incredible, given the obvious tweeter headroom.
You mean like these:

AwesomeSauce2015

You mean like these:
Yeah... I guess... Looking at them the design still seems flawed.
2x 6.5" midmidbasses, yet they have 6x 8" midbasses? What's the point!?!?!?
I guess I'm just not impressed by these kinds of things anymore. They could probably get similar SPL out of 2x 12" midbass and 2x 8" mid drivers.
I guess the conclusion is that these are trying to sell to those who think more drivers = better... ridiculous.

OP
P

poxymoron

I mean in theory that thing could have beastly output and very controlled dispersion. Would be fascinating to see measurements.

It does look pretty cool, so I give them points for that.
Fully agree. Would love to see measurements of their speakers to see if the crazy driver overkill and array actually delivers anything worthwhile.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
They claim a power rating of 1500w...
The horizontal directivity will either be really impressive, or it will completely suck with that driver arrangement. Probably the latter...
If I was blowing that much on speakers, I'd build a proper room with a false wall, and not need a center channel of that type, so this model has priced itself out of the market.
Also, if I had the budget for this center, I wouldn't be using these. I'd have a JBL Synthesis dealer come in and build the system for me, with horn tweeters, not lines of domes.

Conclusion: Rich idiots is the target market for this speaker. It is also designed to sell massive (and therefore crazy expensive) amps.

But note: If they made a model of that turned 90deg, to operate like a normal line array, it would probably be incredible, given the obvious tweeter headroom. (Assuming that McIntosh can actually make good sounding speakers). - Note 2: Although it would be incredible, I still would rather have a single compression driver + horn tweeter. It would get just as loud and not have the directivity issues that this arrangement will have.
With that money just for a center, I'd fly Amir over the ocean and have him design my audition room in my manor.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a line array but it is orientated to have wide dispersion in vertical (up/down) but narrow in horizontal (left/right). Bizarre. You want the opposite…

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a line array but it is orientated to have wide dispersion in vertical (up/down) but narrow in horizontal (left/right). Bizarre. You want the opposite…
It's a complex array, who knows what the hell is going on. The fact that it's a flat baffle with no dsp sort of limits what magic can be performed of course.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a complex array, who knows what the hell is going on. The fact that it's a flat baffle with no dsp sort of limits what magic can be performed of course.
I is not any more complex than the JBL CBT speakers, especially this one, which @amirm had measured. They are also passive speakers.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yamaha YSP sound projector soundbars have even more complex arrays of drivers since now almost 2 decades, only that they are all controlled by separate DSP/delay and amps and thus can steer the sound direction to cleverly use the side and rear room walls for the fraction of the price, I have one for my TV, quite impressive engineering.
yamaha_ysp_5100_soundbar_1593317938_0925fa8b_progressive.jpg

Top Bottom