• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh returning to the car audio system game with new Grand Cherokee L

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'm in favor of anything that promotes good audio! I'm not in the market for a Jeep (or anything MacIntosh), but I'm sure it sounds better than my Honda Stereo. ;)

It's weird for a company that doesn't sell car stereos but it's a way to improve brand awareness.

P.S.
I'm also in favor of power meters, as long as they are peak meters. I'll bet they don't show-up when you're driving.
With dampening and a DSP, your Honda will sound insane. Plus you reduce the noise and vibration due to movement. ;)

With dampening and a DSP, your Honda will sound insane. Plus you reduce the noise and vibration due to movement. ;)
I've got an Audio Control amp with dsp, 2 sets of polk components and 2 12 inch fosgate subs in my accord. I'd be willing to bet it holds it own against any factory system. I call it the sound cannon... hehe.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I've got an Audio Control amp with dsp, 2 sets of polk components and 2 12 inch fosgate subs in my accord. I'd be willing to bet it holds it own against any factory system. I call it the sound cannon... hehe.
I would too.

I hope that multichannel for car is not too far away, because inside a vehicle, the options are super interesting.

Andretti60

Personally, I can't afford any of those luxury SUV's. If I were a multi millionaire, I may consider one. I don't understand why most people buy them. But, to each his own.
few years ago I had to retire my twenty years old sedan because the seats were making me and my wife screaming for back pain, we often take long road trips and having comfortable seats became a priority (call it "aging"). Unfortunately, ergonomic seats are only available in the "luxury" trim, especially if you need both driver and passenger. The good news is that it is fairly easy to find used luxury cars (one to three years old) for the same price of a new car. Lot of people lease them for business and change them on a regular basis, and they take good care of the car. We tried A LOT of cars, renting them for a road trip, all of them really uncomfortable, at the end (we spent one year looking) we bought a one year old Lexus sedan, for us it is perfect but if we needed more cargo space we would had to buy the SUV model.
We are very happy with it, I can drive for eight hours per day with no problem, it is very quiet, extremely comfortable and easy to drive. Because of its size, I would not suggest it if leaving in congested area where finding a space to park is a challenge. In San Francisco I can barely use enclosed public park garages, that are really tiny.

few years ago I had to retire my twenty years old sedan because the seats were making me and my wife screaming for back pain, we often take long road trips and having comfortable seats became a priority (call it "aging"). Unfortunately, ergonomic seats are only available in the "luxury" trim, especially if you need both driver and passenger. The good news is that it is fairly easy to find used luxury cars (one to three years old) for the same price of a new car. Lot of people lease them for business and change them on a regular basis, and they take good care of the car. We tried A LOT of cars, renting them for a road trip, all of them really uncomfortable, at the end (we spent one year looking) we bought a one year old Lexus sedan, for us it is perfect but if we needed more cargo space we would had to buy the SUV model.
We are very happy with it, I can drive for eight hours per day with no problem, it is very quiet, extremely comfortable and easy to drive. Because of its size, I would not suggest it if leaving in congested area where finding a space to park is a challenge. In San Francisco I can barely use enclosed public park garages, that are really tiny.
I hear you. 2 hip surgeries, one replacement and an ankle surgery. My Dad was all about the seats also. He had a nissan with the zero gravity seat and loved it. I ended up with an accord. Large seat, lumbar, etc. It's pretty decent. I hear mazdas have good seats and I know ford does because I've owned a couple. They don't look good, but they fit me well and are firm but supportive. Sometimes the cheap cars get them right, most times not. I commute an hour and a half to 2 hours a day and the Honda's ok for me. If I were to go luxury, I'd do used also. Seems wise to let someone else eat the first 2 years depreciation.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The only problem with the "trick" of buying used instead of new vehicles, which I've also been doing for a long time, and letting the original buyer suffer the massive depreciation, is that the recent inflation has hit used vehicles to the tune of over 20%. Thus, a used one or two year old vehicle with low mileage now costs almost what a new one does. One thing that gives me hope is that car dealership sales lots are just loaded with used vehicles these days and, also, auto loan interest rates are much higher now. If sales volume starts taking a hit on these used vehicles, maybe the dynamic will swing back the other way.

Dal1as

Just curious what engine you got? We are going to need a new vehicle for my wife pretty soon and looking at CUV's.
I got the V6. I don't tow or need to go fast (have the TA for that) so wanted the gas mileage.

Attachments

• 20220927_205455.jpg
    20220927_205455.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 24

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is however a dangerous and inescapable trend, these gigantic screen in cars that invite you to look at them... And take your eyes off the road ...:(
I still don't understand why HUDs were never included in the premium cars.
The Cadillac ATS Coupe, for example, clearly shows the hardware inside the top of dashboard but is an pay-option and disabled.
202209_RR-Cullinan.jpg

I like the 2022 Cullinan dashboard rendition, not that I am an ol'Skool Britch.
The center display has a shroud; if you couldn't be bother... but still, no HUD!:(
I had never heard about (or heard) Cullinan's Bespoke Audio system (16+ speakers).

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Because driving a minivan looks terrible.

Functionally, they're not different.
A minivan will carry a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood -- unlike most full-sized pickup trucks in 2022. :rolleyes:

1664328532523.png

The most amusing thing about the photo above to me is that the beds on the two trucks look to be about the same length. :facepalm:

DMill

Forum Donor
A minivan will carry a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood -- unlike most full-sized pickup trucks in 2022. :rolleyes:

View attachment 233683
The most amusing thing about the photo above to me is that the beds on the two trucks look to be about the same length. :facepalm:
Pretty much the same but you can put your kids in the back complaining about how you spent 2 hours at Home Depot trying to find a plumbing fitting from 1974 for your sink. :)

DMill

Forum Donor
Pretty much the same but you can put your kids in the back complaining about how you spent 2 hours at Home Depot trying to find a plumbing fitting from 1974 for your sink. :)
At least you bought them $500 worth of Milwaukee power tools you’ll never need and a pack of $3 gummi bears.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
I got the V6. I don't tow or need to go fast (have the TA for that) so wanted the gas mileage.
Nice Jeep!

BTW, have you heard about the new Hurricane inline 6 cylinder engine soon to be available in Jeep and Ram vehicles? It offers up to 500 hp, equal to BMW's inline 6. A Grand Cherokee with the new Hurricane engine would be mighty nice. Unlike V6 engines, an inline 6 can be silky smooth in operation.

Dal1as

Nice Jeep!

BTW, have you heard about the new Hurricane inline 6 cylinder engine soon to be available in Jeep and Ram vehicles? It offers up to 500 hp, equal to BMW's inline 6. A Grand Cherokee with the new Hurricane engine would be mighty nice. Unlike V6 engines, an inline 6 can be silky smooth in operation.

Interesting. Will be interested in what they come up with the next few years until I'm ready to trade in.

One of the things I can't get used to with this Jeep is the look of it when it is parked. The air suspension goes all the way down to the bump stops and makes it look like it's lowered. Lol

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. Will be interested in what they come up with the next few years until I'm ready to trade in.

One of the things I can't get used to with this Jeep is the look of it when it is parked. The air suspension goes all the way down to the bump stops and makes it look like it's lowered. Lol
Ahh that explains why that Jeep Cherokee SRT was so low to the ground the other day.

Dal1as

Ahh that explains why that Jeep Cherokee SRT was so low to the ground the other day.

Yeah it's kind of funny. A big Toyota Tundra will Park next to me and will dwarf the Jeep. Makes it look small. Truck guy is probably thinking whimpy Jeep... Even thou it would destroy his pickup off road or in snow. Lol

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah it's kind of funny. A big Toyota Tundra will Park next to me and will dwarf the Jeep. Makes it look small. Truck guy is probably thinking whimpy Jeep... Even thou it would destroy his pickup off road or in snow. Lol
I've seen some stuff first hand of what a properly equipped Jeep is cable of and it's pretty impressive. From pulling logs to snow and sand and rocks and all sorts of off road stuff. My father was a Jeep lover and he ran his hard and worked it like a farm implement. One day my brother brought his Chevy 4x4 to the farm and they where testing to see which truck could pull wet river logs up a small hill. The Jeep ate the Chevy for lunch. There simply was no comparison. Basically lots of wheel spin with the 4x4 Chevy and the Jeep dug in and did the job with no fuss. Another day I got my Ford 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton pickup truck stuck in sand and my buddy with his Toyota came to help me and bent his truck and so we said okies time for the Jeep and voila... pulled the Ford 1/2 ton out slowly but firmly and to safe ground. I really like the looks of the Chevy/GMC but I think the Jeep is the better vehicle for this sort of stuff.

Vacceo

Major Contributor

View attachment 233683
You're pointing at a very interesting trend in US vehicle aesthetics: the need for 'manliness'. Which leads to the paradox of the popularity of pick ups on people that hardly have any use for a pick up.

Dal1as

I've seen some stuff first hand of what a properly equipped Jeep is cable of and it's pretty impressive. From pulling logs to snow and sand and rocks and all sorts of off road stuff. My father was a Jeep lover and he ran his hard and worked it like a farm implement. One day my brother brought his Chevy 4x4 to the farm and they where testing to see which truck could pull wet river logs up a small hill. The Jeep ate the Chevy for lunch. There simply was no comparison. Basically lots of wheel spin with the 4x4 Chevy and the Jeep dug in and did the job with no fuss. Another day I got my Ford 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton pickup truck stuck in sand and my buddy with his Toyota came to help me and bent his truck and so we said okies time for the Jeep and voila... pulled the Ford 1/2 ton out slowly but firmly and to safe ground. I really like the looks of the Chevy/GMC but I think the Jeep is the better vehicle for this sort of stuff.

Lol yeah. I did dirt bikes and 4 wheelers but not truck off road. I always wanted to do like a Baja race. I had to take the Jeep off road as it was killing me l and I was surprised at what it could do. I may need to go to their obstacle course. Lol

As for the stereo. It sounds alright but the Trans Am is better. I just wish the Mcintosh system was more adjustable. Sounds just as good or better than the system in the Lincoln I heard.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
speaking of "SUVs"...
my first love :)

It didn't like my wife (then, girlfriend) very much, either. I think it was jealous. :)
I saw one of these being restored at my local garage just last week.

I was struck by how it looks more off-road capable (in terms of ground clearance, approach angle, etc.) than any of the SUVs sold today.

Top Bottom