• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh returning to the car audio system game with new Grand Cherokee L

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. I like SUV's too but Jeep isn't a brand I'd consider. I have an accord hybrid as a commuter and an old nissan frontier for utility or going off road, which I pretty much never do anymore. Car prices in general are nuts these days.
Here's the thing... if you just want something to navigate and amplify the twists and turns from the grooves of your records, then there's a lot of options besides McIntosh.

On the other hand, if you need something to navigate the twists and turns of a makeshift dirt road in a forest, or a mountain rock trail, then options are more limited. A small 4WD pickup is good. Something you can beat up and not worry about. Larger ones may not be practical for tight spaces. A dirt bike is best, but in the context of McIntosh, that's like building a refurbed Dynakit!

I actually saw a Wagoneer at Trader Joe's last weekend!

At least with a Wagoneer, you can ride relaxed (I'm presuming). What I don't get is the popularity of the four door Wrangler. It rides and drives like an Army deuce and a half, is about as loud on the inside, and while it looks cool, I don't think it looks nearly as cool as an M35 6x6. But you can probably find a parking space for it, easier.

When I used to live downtown I'd come across the larger Wranglers optioned out, with off road lights and an electric winch on the front. Sporting three coats of hand rubbed carnauba, plus Lexol conditioned interior. Parallel parked at the trendy bistros. You know that the closest they got to off-road was probably the city park, for a weekend picnic. Maybe if the streets flooded (always a possibility) the transfer case got some work out.

I see McIntosh is not available on the Wrangler? I don't know, but when I think of the kind of people who might be interested in McIntosh, I'm not thinking Jeep Wagoneer kind of people. Which is pretty prole--even at eighty or ninety large. Can you get it in a Range Rover or G-550? Mac should step up their game. With a Mac light box insert for the glove compartment. :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I noticed it on a commercial yesterday watching NFL games... I had more than a chuckle...

It is however a dangerous and inescapable trend, these gigantic screen in cars that invite you to look at them... And take your eyes off the road ...:(

Peace.
Well, in light of that comment -- if you're gonna have meters, they ought to be big meters. :cool:

WS022_056GW5rru69g55t0uh6j9oj5i5h7bao.jpg

Vacceo

Major Contributor
What I like in my wife Subaru is ApplePlay, that my relatively older Lexus doesn’t have. But I am an old school driver, eyes on the road besides a fast glance to the dashboard. Anyhow, I put Alpine speakers on the Lexus, for less than thousand dollars I believe I have an audio quality that can compete with the Grand Cherokee especially because the Lexus IS amazingly quite, I rented a jeep once and I was not impressed to say the least.
With a set of Audissons (or many other brands) and an amp with dsp, you can do wonders on any vehicle.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'm in favor of anything that promotes good audio! I'm not in the market for a Jeep (or anything MacIntosh), but I'm sure it sounds better than my Honda Stereo. ;)

It's weird for a company that doesn't sell car stereos but it's a way to improve brand awareness.

P.S.
I'm also in favor of power meters, as long as they are peak meters. I'll bet they don't show-up when you're driving.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
MarcT

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, in light of that comment -- if you're gonna have meters, they ought to be big meters. :cool:

WS022_056GW5rru69g55t0uh6j9oj5i5h7bao.jpg
And I bet it doesn't even play DVD-Audio discs!:cool:

DMill

Automotive experts, what is the best luxury SUV? The Lexus LX? Is it available with Mark Levinson audio?
Best SUV or best stock sound system in a car/SUV? I'm pretty sure Revel struck up a deal with Lincoln. I've not heard it.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
Automotive experts, what is the best luxury SUV? The Lexus LX? Is it available with Mark Levinson audio?
I don't think there is one best. There are so many options that are quite different, so it comes down to personal choice. The Lexus LX is really boxy and does not have the best space utilization. Lincoln has available Revel sound systems. Their Aviator is getting very good reviews. The Acura MDX has what they call "ELS Studio 3D Premium Audio System" with 16 speakers.

Personally, I can't afford any of those luxury SUV's. If I were a multi millionaire, I may consider one. I don't understand why most people buy them. But, to each his own.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally, I can't afford any of those luxury SUV's. If I were a multi millionaire, I may consider one. I don't understand why most people buy them. But, to each his own.
I can afford them, but I don't know why I'd want one, either.

Dal1as

Status I guess. If I really needed one, I'd probably get a highlander or pilot. Still expensive but they're reliable and cheaper than the luxury models.

I got the Grand Cherokee L Overland for what I'd be paying for a similar trimmed Toyota Highlander and it is a much nicer vehicle. Never was a Jeep person but I did a lot of test drives and research and it fit my needs.

Bad weather, foot of snow, etc. Nice to drive at night, comfy, and good sound system, reliable. Nothing else came close.

Just the air suspension alone outclasses everything else for my needs.

Jamming to Maiden on the stereo is just the icing. Lol

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Because driving a minivan looks terrible.

Functionally, they're not different.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
I got the Grand Cherokee L Overland for what I'd be paying for a similar trimmed Toyota Highlander and it is a much nicer vehicle. Never was a Jeep person but I did a lot of test drives and research and it fit my needs.

Bad weather, foot of snow, etc. Nice to drive at night, comfy, and good sound system, reliable. Nothing else came close.

Just the air suspension alone outclasses everything else for my needs.

Jamming to Maiden on the stereo is just the icing. Lol
Just curious what engine you got? We are going to need a new vehicle for my wife pretty soon and looking at CUV's.

Top Bottom