• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh returning to the car audio system game with new Grand Cherokee L

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I saw one of these being restored at my local garage just last week.

I was struck by how it looks more off-road capable (in terms of ground clearance, approach angle, etc.) than any of the SUVs sold today.
Oh, it was/they were.
Well, I guess Ford would say their new "Bronco" is comparable. Well, I presume they'll say it's better.

2021-ford-bronco-first-edition-120-1626970056.jpg

Dal1as

I saw one of these being restored at my local garage just last week.

I was struck by how it looks more off-road capable (in terms of ground clearance, approach angle, etc.) than any of the SUVs sold today.

Most luxury SUVs are not made to go offroad or deal with deep snow and such. In fact many come with summer performance tires.

I did a lot of research and unless I wanted to spend a LOT more nothing else came close to the Jeep GCL. HUD, night vision, adjustable suspension and offroad modes that work, good approach angle, ground clearance when needed,decent gas mileage, cargo capacity, nice interior and seats, quiet, and it doesn't drive like a big truck or SUV.

I need to be able to get to work no matter the weather so am hoping for a giant blizzard this year to try it out and see all the wannabes stuck.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Most luxury SUVs are not made to go offroad or deal with deep snow and such. In fact many come with summer performance tires.

I did a lot of research and unless I wanted to spend a LOT more nothing else came close to the Jeep GCL. HUD, night vision, adjustable suspension and offroad modes that work, good approach angle, ground clearance when needed,decent gas mileage, cargo capacity, nice interior and seats, quiet, and it doesn't drive like a big truck or SUV.

I need to be able to get to work no matter the weather so am hoping for a giant blizzard this year to try it out and see all the wannabes stuck.
Don't forget braking is still the same with 4 wheel drive. I live in the north and SUV 4x4 drivers sometimes forget that the brakes still work about as good as a 2 wheel drive vehicle. :D Thankfully it's mostly flat around here. I see Jeep Wranglers out with 4x4 engaged and spinning all 4 of the tires as they 4 wheel steer around corners and having lotsa fun while everybody is cowering inside their homes because it's -30C (-22F) outside. :D

Dal1as

Don't forget braking is still the same with 4 wheel drive. I live in the north and SUV 4x4 drivers sometimes forget that the brakes still work about as good as a 2 wheel drive vehicle. :D Thankfully it's mostly flat around here. I see Jeep Wranglers out with 4x4 engaged and spinning all 4 of the tires as they 4 wheel steer around corners and having lotsa fun while everybody is cowering inside their homes because it's -30C (-22F) outside. :D
Yeah there is that too. If I lived farther north I would get a dedicated snow tire setup. Huge difference.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah there is that too. If I lived farther north I would get a dedicated snow tire setup. Huge difference.
O yeaH! I drove ~250 miles a day for 10 months to attend a technical drafting study, I bought a small sporty car and I had 4 very aggressive snow tires mounted with studs. I could pull out and pass cars through the inner snowbanks between lanes at ~100Km/h (~62mph) I had to have a decently reliable fast winter car and that was it. I can only imagine a Wrangler or a Cherokee with studs. YaaaHOOooo :D

Vacceo

Major Contributor
O yeaH! I drove ~250 miles a day for 10 months to attend a technical drafting study, I bought a small sporty car and I had 4 very aggressive snow tires mounted with studs. I could pull out and pass cars through the inner snowbanks between lanes at ~100Km/h (~62mph) I had to have a decently reliable fast winter car and that was it. I can only imagine a Wrangler or a Cherokee with studs. YaaaHOOooo :D
I think Dodge designed a 4WD version of the Challenger precisely for the Canadian roads, so not surprised about your choice.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Dodge designed a 4WD version of the Challenger precisely for the Canadian roads, so not surprised about your choice.
They certainly do and I think it's good business offering such gems.
The Charger is optional all wheel drive.
z dodge.png

This shows the engine/drivetrain.
z dodge 2.png

The Challenger is also optional all wheel drive.
z dodge 3.png

Here's the engine and drivetrain details and stuff.
z dodge 4.png

Dal1as

I think the biggest issue in bad weather driving and even off road is most people don't know the capabilities or lack of them of their vehicle.

Even when I took the Jeep off roading through mud and all I didn't know what the different offroad settings did and would have got stuck without them.

I once saw an Escalade with summer performance tires stuck in snow. Young guy in nicely setup offroad Nissan or Toyota... was pulling him out with a rope. Rope snapped and blew out the rear window of the young guys truck. Could have killed someone.

Some people just don't get it.

Dal1as

View attachment 233989
View attachment 233990
View attachment 233992
View attachment 233994

That's a good idea. Up there you have better snow management where they sometimes just pack the snow down. Near D.C. I have to be prepared for no snow management. Wonder what a jacked up lifted Charger would look like?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonder what a jacked up lifted Charger would look like?
I've never seen a lifted Charger but I have seen a couple of 1960's or 1970's Mustang Mach [x] versions lifted. I see Challengers and Chargers out in the worst of winter every winter. It's very common.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the biggest issue in bad weather driving and even off road is most people don't know the capabilities or lack of them of their vehicle.
First big snowfall I head to a open parking lot and commence doing rally driving stuff to get back in the swing of things. It's excellent practice.
Even when I took the Jeep off roading through mud and all I didn't know what the different offroad settings did and would have got stuck without them.
Off roading is serous stuff. Could get stuck, lost, stranded, injured etc. Always bring water, a few snacks, fire starter and a cutter for fire wood and a tow strap with jumper cables.
I once saw an Escalade with summer performance tires stuck in snow. Young guy in nicely setup offroad Nissan or Toyota... was pulling him out with a rope. Rope snapped and blew out the rear window of the young guys truck. Could have killed someone.
Use a tow strap. lol. I've used choking steel cables, lotsa tow straps and chains and they are all better than springy ropes.

Willem

Major Contributor
We mostly use our (old) car for long distance journeys, but even for those I don't care for an expensive audio system. It will never sound right, although I admit the cheap modern DAB+ radio I recently installed has much better reception than the old FM unit, and I can stream Spotify from my phone, or internet radio.
In fact, I don't even care for expensive cars. I think they may well be the worst investment you can think of. Just give it a thought - but to each their own.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
View attachment 233989
View attachment 233990
View attachment 233992
View attachment 233994
Sometimes coincidences in taste are quite curious when you look at yourself.

In terms of aesthetics, I love both American and Scandinavian cars (couldn't be more different, I know). In particular, I love Dodge and Volvo.

In audio gear, there is also a correlation: I really like both Primare and McIntosh in aesthetic terms.

Dal1as

take this for what is worth

Was searching for the audio graphs they briefly show but could not find a link anywhere. From what I can tell looking at the blurry one they show in the video it's actually pretty good and similar to a Harmon curve. A flat curve in any vehicle will be ear bleeding and lacking bass especially when driving. The guy is biased right from the beginning unfortunately.

Top Bottom