• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh MHT300 AV Receiver

delta76

Major Contributor
Only 4 HDMI 2.0 in's, 2 sub outs, and 7 powered channel for $8000? more money than brains club, I'd get the Denon A1H all day over this thing.
it's a McIntosh ...

It does not target gaming audience, and it certainly will be expensive.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Not just that, but HDCP 2.2, my Yamaha CX-A5200 has 2.3 and it is 4 years old.

I do not know what manufacturers are thinking today, maybe they have left over parts and needs to use them.

Buying something like this just guarantees you will be replacing a lot quicker then something with current specs, at that high price makes it more painful you are replacing it that quick.
It's a very nice way to sell the next thing, now with DLBC or ART...

It’s odd to release a high-end AVR that can drive only 7 speakers when every modern format requires at least 9 speakers (plus sub).
It can process four more... With an external amp. :p

it's a McIntosh ...

The cost of implementing HDMI 2.1 is probably peanuts compared to an HDMI 2.0.

Plus you could get a very friendly review from Linus Sebastian.

Last edited:

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Specs st McIntosh website are incomplete as of right now...

McIntosh MHT300 Specs.jpg

theBruce

it's a McIntosh ...

i doubt denon are aiming at "gamers" with a $6,000 flagship avr either...

I have no problem with the price of the McIntosh and I do game, have a PS5 and XBOX X , but at that price it should have current specs, especially since it is not even going to be released till March.

Again, my Yamaha CX-A5200 is 4 years old and it has better HDMI then this thing.

delta76

Major Contributor
I have no problem with the price of the McIntosh and I do game, have a PS5 and XBOX X , but at that price it should have current specs, especially since it is not even going to be released till March.

Again, my Yamaha CX-A5200 is 4 years old and it has better HDMI then this thing.
You are an outlier from the market segment.
Not defending them in any way, I would not buy from McIntosh given their price. I absolutely agree they should have made an avr with hdmi 2.1. But their target market is home theater enthusiasts and there is certainly less demand for 2.1

Of course it could probably be just an oversight from their part

theBruce

What, someone who does wants to spend money on new electronics is a outlier, I call that a potential customer that no longer became potential when I read the specs.

And again, when the specs on my 4 year old processor is better then their new unit that does not come out until March, something is wrong with the company.

Anthem figured it out with their new units, they came out months before the Mcintosh.

Also, 2 of their newest processors have HDCP 2.3 ( do not know about HDMI 2.1).

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Not defending them in any way, I would not buy from McIntosh given their price. I absolutely agree they should have made an avr with hdmi 2.1. But their target market is home theater enthusiasts and there is certainly less demand for 2.1

Of course it could probably be just an oversight from their part
Even in their own products, it does not make much sense. The MX123 was released with HDMI 2.0 and eventually, updated to HDMI 2.1, so why not going for 2.1 from the start...

Still, the part I find the most surprising is going for a single HDMI out.

Who knows, perhaps they want to use leftover boards from the MX100 gearing up for an update of the model.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
"I'm so used to dirty gear that clean electronics sound bad to me".
LOL is that what you heard. You didn't hear anything you read it and wrongly assumed that the gear I prefer is somehow flawed.
Contraire. It is the perfect imperfection. As far as the "ROOM". It's the FIRST boxes I tuned 40+ years ago. My room (S) were purpose
designed for future use and currently being tidied up with fresh paint and sound coat on a few reflective surfaces.

Other that heavy retractable curtains, Helmholtz resonators, certain size rugs and a dropped section in front of the sweet spot, they
look like a normal room. Gear rack location is always on a 90 degree wall. Everything is decoupled and the electrical has
dedicated 220/240 50amp sub panels for the house and the shops are set up for AC/DC ark, Tig and Mig welding, 100 amp subs.

I just flipped OFF 64 valve all lit for over 3 days. The only thing better is "EATIN' BUGS".
I think the turntable finally quit spinning two hours later.

I think there are 30-35 SS power amps here. From SSTs to Pass designs and a slough of different class Ds, Servo plates.
SS has it's place. I use Peachtree Gan400 in the summer. I'm not that wrongheaded. LOL

Do you frequent AH site. LOL

Regards

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
even with my meagre requirements i would require an external hdmi switcher AND a doubler on the output end...

my TV also has 4 hdmi in, just like this

i think this fits a certain demographic who is happy with *JUST* the features here and no more

it is A demographic, I imagine not a huge one

OP
W
Maybe. But look what the top panel does.

View attachment 261344
Gee, that's going to be blinding during movie night!

Only 4 HDMI 2.0 in's, 2 sub outs, and 7 powered channel for $8000? more money than brains club, I'd get the Denon A1H all day over this thing.
Hands down, the A1H is easily the flagship powerhouse receiver. Reminds me of Denon's mega receivers during the 2000s (AVR-5805, AVC-A1XV, AVC-A1HDA, to name a few).

I do agree that the MHT300 coming in at 8k (no pun intended) has a poor value proposition when it comes to features offered, but the slimline form factor and aesthetic might appeal to a certain niche. It does come with Dirac out of the box though, whereas for Denon it is an optional upgrade.

Edit: I did find some inconsistencies in the product page. They did explicitly mentioned 8K60/4K120 on all ports but only 18Gbps (HDMI 2.0) bandwidth?!
1675246220533.png

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
this might come down to the installers

if they ask you how many inputs you are likely to need in your rec theater room and this is enough then they will push it

but any more and they move you to the next gen mx100, mx120 with similar features but more... sure it costs a fair bit more but to the average buyer of *just* McIntosh gear then what the hell does it matter?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
LOL is that what you heard. You didn't hear anything you read it and wrongly assumed that the gear I prefer is somehow flawed.
Contraire. It is the perfect imperfection. As far as the "ROOM". It's the FIRST boxes I tuned 40+ years ago. My room (S) were purpose
designed for future use and currently being tidied up with fresh paint and sound coat on a few reflective surfaces.

Other that heavy retractable curtains, Helmholtz resonators, certain size rugs and a dropped section in front of the sweet spot, they
look like a normal room. Gear rack location is always on a 90 degree wall. Everything is decoupled and the electrical has
dedicated 220/240 50amp sub panels for the house and the shops are set up for AC/DC ark, Tig and Mig welding, 100 amp subs.

I just flipped OFF 64 valve all lit for over 3 days. The only thing better is "EATIN' BUGS".
I think the turntable finally quit spinning two hours later.

I think there are 30-35 SS power amps here. From SSTs to Pass designs and a slough of different class Ds, Servo plates.
SS has it's place. I use Peachtree Gan400 in the summer. I'm not that wrongheaded. LOL

Do you frequent AH site. LOL

Regards
Thank you for confirming that you, indeed, enjoy distortion. Nothing wrong with it, but there are cheaper ways to get it. However, in matters of fetishism, none of us is free of them, so I'm glad you enjoy yours.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
Thank you for confirming that you, indeed, enjoy distortion. Nothing wrong with it, but there are cheaper ways to get it. However, in matters of fetishism, none of us is free of them, so I'm glad you enjoy yours.
That's what I live, for confirming what I like, through other's. I'm being facetious of course. I have a reason that plagued me until recent years. SS gear
exacerbated a condition. Concussive hearing. I still live with inserts in my ears. I don't have to wear fitted muffs anymore outside. That is a blessing alone.
As a kid I wound up on one knee a few times behind refusing to wear muffs and inserts to school. Without one or the other I couldn't get to the buss stop.
The 60s. They were treating me from what they learned. I was a bonified guinea pig at Stanford medical for years.

There were guys/ladies that could hear above 20Khz. You know how noisy your heart really is? They sure did. You never get use to it. When it stops you pay
attention though.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
There were guys/ladies that could hear above 20Khz. You know how noisy your heart really is? They sure did. You never get use to it. When it stops you pay
attention though.
Reduce the noise floor and you realize how uncanny is to listen to you own body. I have been inside an anechoic chamber twice and it is one of the most discomforting experiences I have ever lived.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I have been inside an anechoic chamber twice and it is one of the most discomforting experiences I have ever lived.
Mining is the same way. It's pretty quiet at 30 feet, 1/2 mile it gets real quiet. I never went below that because
the pressure is so high on the strata, mini pressure fracture alone can spit fractured rock at 1000 fps.
The deeper you go the faster the projectile and likelihood of it happening.

It is quiet work for a mechanic though. It can be very hot work, though.

Regards

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Mining is the same way. It's pretty quiet at 30 feet, 1/2 mile it gets real quiet. I never went below that because
the pressure is so high on the strata, mini pressure fracture alone can spit fractured rock at 1000 fps.
The deeper you go the faster the projectile and likelihood of it happening.

It is quiet work for a mechanic though. It can be very hot work, though.

Regards
I guess that is very dependant on the mineral extracted and the geology of the veins. Never a good experience, though.

I have visited an old coal mine over here where you get to a gallery around 100 meters below. The strata was pretty hard (it was an antracite mine) so the echo sounded weird. I am lucky to not have worked there when the TNT or the jackhammers went off.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am having difficulty relating this conversation to the subject McIntosh AVR.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I am having difficulty relating this conversation to the subject McIntosh AVR.
We can retake it from the noise floor part. After recollecting a bit information about past McIntosh releases, I do wonder about some elements:

-Is it due to management change that McIntosh is now contradicting the words of Ken Zelin, their representative? In a couple presentations in the past, Zelin stated that Mac does not like to develop AVR´s as it would imply wasting perfectly functional amps when the processing (codecs, HDMI version, room correction...) changes. That is a valid point, but this product makes it quite moot.

-Processors such as the MX123 or the MX100 are said to be Denon/Marantz clones. Is this AVR a clone too? If we get them to the bench, should we expect a similar performance to Sound United releases?

-The literature says it´s 4K-120hz compatible, also has eARC and 18 gbps. That is clearly HDMI 2.0 territory, even more so when features such as ALLM or VRR are not present. It seems McIntosh is very aware of the outdated standard yet they cloud the fact under the specs. Is the supply chain for up to date boards in such a bad state? Did they want to use the board stock they had for the MX100? It´s a strange decission, considering that last year, they upgraded the boards of the MX123 and even released a new top processor also with HDMI 2.1.

-No word on amplification. I guess it´s class D and probably from Hypex, considering their past class D releases. No complain in that area, even if the output is a bit limited.

-Is the assembly a Frankenstein taken from the MX100? Because it really seems like an impromptu product from it.

-And last but not least: what about future changes in their processors? Will they go Dirac on their processor refreshes abandoning Audyssey? Will they keep using Room Perfect for the top model?

I honestly think McIntosh has the capacity to do much, much better than this product.

Top Bottom