• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh MHT300 AV Receiver

Available March 2023 with an MSRP of $8,000 USD.
The back panel looks so minimal though!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very little information on the amplifier or weight. Would be interesting if it had HypeX NCx500’s.

It’s also unclear who their OEM for the AV electronics front end will be. Could be ATI/Monolith given the absence of Audyssey. Historically they have only gone with Lyngdorf and D&M. I imagine in the pre HDMI and pre room correction days, they would have done it in house.

The remote doesn’t look like anything I am used to seeing.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I can't help remembering Ken Zelin saying, around a year ago, that McIntosh does not like to design AVR's...

My guess is that the guts are still from D&M, as March is the month when their designs will start using Dirac.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't help remembering Ken Zelin saying, around a year ago, that McIntosh does not like to design AVR's...

My guess is that the guts are still from D&M, as March is the month when their designs will start using Dirac.
It interestingly has a setup mic jack on the rear!

I wonder if D&M had a 5 year contract with Audyssey that expires in March.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It interestingly has a setup mic jack on the rear!

I wonder if D&M had a 5 year contract with Audyssey that expires in March.
Not necessarily. They can keep supporting it and allowing the use of Dirac too.

If D&M adopts ART eventually, chances are McIntosh will too. In fact, I'm quite sure McIntosh will have DLBC when D&M does next year.

I really like the no frills approach of this AVR: no Bluetooth, no analogues, no streaming... I'd even have removed the FM tunner.

With something like an Nvidia shield or any smart tv, those elements are redundant.

Last edited:
OP
W
Not necessarily. They can keep supporting it and allowing the use of Dirac too.

If D&M adopts ART eventually, chances are McIntosh will to. In fact, I'm quite sure McIntosh will have DLBC when D&M does next year.

I really like the no frills approach of this AVR: no Bluetooth, no analogues, no streaming... I'd even have removed the FM tunner.

With something like an Nvidia shield or any smart tv, those elements are redundant.
Yeah, this definitely looks like their previous MX100 processor with 8K board upgrade and an added poweramp section.
Very little information on the amplifier or weight. Would be interesting if it had HypeX NCx500’s.

It’s also unclear who their OEM for the AV electronics front end will be. Could be ATI/Monolith given the absence of Audyssey. Historically they have only gone with Lyngdorf and D&M. I imagine in the pre HDMI and pre room correction days, they would have done it in house.

Would be great to know as well, but since the chassis is almost identical as the MI347, it is most likely a Class D.
Although it would be great if we can see a teardown.

wseroyer

Only 4 HDMI 2.0 in's, 2 sub outs, and 7 powered channel for $8000? more money than brains club, I'd get the Denon A1H all day over this thing.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
That is my guess with the MX100. On the other hand, I'd not discard a refresh of that processor further down the year.

Only 4 HDMI in's and 7 powered channel for $8000? more money than brains club, I'd get the Denon A1H all day over this thing.
The not so logic part is just a single HDMI out. Them being 2.0 (no allm or vrr shows the version) makes no sense.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
this to me is everything wrong with McIntosh and everything wrong with all in one box receivers... these units are obsolete in some way, right now

as they age they get more and more redundant

i too like the fact that they havent tried to include shit that doesnt make sense... like who wants a phono? i dont care about tuners and i think streaming is better done on a seperate box... HOWEVER... the lack of std. rca inputs is going too far...

also in their use case ie. driving a dedicated theater room... is this enough... for $8,000???? its too minimalist as well

to me 4 hdmi in 1 hdmi out puts it in the same class as budget $500 receivers...

i also think having no BT or whatever is a miss for the target market... rich folks have cell phones too

also at $8,000 you can afford a preamp + all the seperates you need

Vacceo

Major Contributor
A streamer for audio/video (Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Nvidia Shield...) tipically includes Bluetooth and network access to content, no love lost for not having it in the AVR. On the other hand, a modern smart TV can do all that too

That is what makes FM redundant, as you can use that streamer for radio too.

I agree that HDMI 2.0 does not make it dead on arrival, but in 2023, is a stupid decision.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
does it have wifi? i mean it has ethernet

i'm at a crossroads here too... like modern a/v equipment SHOULD have wifi and ethernet... i mean the junky onkyo and pioneer i have sitting in the garage both have dual band and all the usual services

so one would expect an $8,000 unit to have it too

i'm puzzled at this one... on one hand I like the fact they cut out extraneous rubbish... but by the same token at $8,000 i expected more?

maybe i would love some expansion slots??? I mean McIntosh love that shit... i would love some sort of forward looking upgradability

it feels like McIntosh built the best budget featured receiver that money can buy!

Vacceo

Major Contributor
With the digital ins, that is the expansion. However, i can also see how they want to not cannibalize their own processor sales, hence the limitation in preamp outs.

Networking goes for Dirac use.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
their processors are all stuck on audyssey so perhaps next gen moves to dirac and this is their first toe into what is next gen room correction?

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I have listened to 2 of Mac AVR type boxes. They were nothing like any Mac I've used or owned. One was using a loaner the other
was a purchase. They have/had the Mac logo but they didn't have the classic house sound. None of the early MH series look like Macs.
The MX series has stayed the course of Mac. After AVPs like the MX150-70 series few Mac fan went the way of MHxxx.

This one looks Mac like. No phono stage is a dead give a way too. Just saying. Who wouldn't have a phono stage and tape loop for Reel to Reel? :cool:

Two ears, Two channels. Pretty simple.

Come on dog, time to feed the chickens.

Regards

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
their processors are all stuck on audyssey so perhaps next gen moves to dirac and this is their first toe into what is next gen room correction?
That is my guess, yes.

I have listened to 2 of Mac AVR type boxes. They were nothing like any Mac I've used or owned. One was using a loaner the other
was a purchase. They have/had the Mac logo but they didn't have the classic house sound. None of the MH series look like Macs.
The MX series has stayed the course of Mac. After AVPs like the MX150-70 series few Mac fan went the way of MHxxx.

When you're used to something like Mac gear, the introduction of an ODD look like the MHxxx is a solid NO for the price and who makes
it. Lipstick on a pig is lipstick on a pig at 8K. There is a lot more value for the buck. I don't recommend any type of AVP, but in this case
it's a DOUBLE NO. It doesn't look like a McIntosh because it isn't. I'm sure it will follow suit and not sound or preform like a Mac either.
No phono stage is a dead give a way too. Just saying. Who wouldn't have a phono stage and tape loop for Reel to Reel? :cool:
I just looked at a nice Studer with head out XLRs. It's tempting. Otari is my usual flavor.

Two ears, Two channels. Pretty simple.

Come on dog, time to feed the chickens.

Regards
What you said sounds like "I'm so used to dirty gear that clean electronics sound bad to me".

Still, the difference in electronics from any non-tube Mc to a class D is far smaller than thought. What you actually listen to the most is the speakers and the room, so if watts are right for the speakers, the electronics have to be tuned or a dissaster to be clearly noticeable. McIntosh has historically been quite clean in their sound, so I'd consider the room and speakers first.

Last edited:

theBruce

I agree that HDMI 2.0 does not make it dead on arrival, but in 2023, is a stupid decision.
Not just that, but HDCP 2.2, my Yamaha CX-A5200 has 2.3 and it is 4 years old.

I do not know what manufacturers are thinking today, maybe they have left over parts and needs to use them.

Buying something like this just guarantees you will be replacing a lot quicker then something with current specs, at that high price makes it more painful you are replacing it that quick.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Maybe. But look what the top panel does.

mac.jpg

jbattman1016

The remote looks like the one sony uses for their OLED tvs.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

It’s odd to release a high-end AVR that can drive only 7 speakers when every modern format requires at least 9 speakers (plus sub).

Top Bottom