• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh MC462 Stereo Amplifier Review (by ErinsAudioCorner.com)

Triliza

Forum Donor
What I don't understand is how the economics of this work (unless someone cares only for this hobby and nothing else in life), because if someone's amp costs 10grand, and everything you own follows the same motive (durability, made in US, prestige and whatever else is mentioned in the thread), the total value and costs of everything that someone would own (houses, cars, couple of kids...) would be more than a couple of millions, which common people surely don't have. So yeah, not exactly for the "common" people.

pma

Major Contributor
So the SINAD is 97, or 106 as measured by Stereophile? It's quite a big difference :)
They are both in your spreadsheets, line 22 and 58
Guys, please try to be exact, at least sometimes. Erin does not tell the measuring bandwidth of THD+N. We do not know what we compare, apples and oranges. Both SINAD and THD+N numbers without declaring measuring BW are pointless numbers. More, Atkinson used various combinations, like 2ohm taps with 4ohm load. Again, apples x oranges. And, the difference in SINAD of this kind has no effect to audibility. FR with complex load would have.
Let's try not to be amateurish, at least sometimes.
Stereophile measurements

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still can't understand how people can spend more on an amp than on a decent car.
I'm the other way around. Why would you spend more on a hunk of metal that sits on your driveway for most of its life, depreciating like crazy? Do you like cars more than music? And anyway, can you get a "decent" car for the price of this amp?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So the SINAD is 97, or 106 as measured by Stereophile? It's quite a big difference :)
They are both in your spreadsheets, line 22 and 58
Good catch. I hate when that happens, it's not the 1st time. With no option to investigate the differences, I keep the higher one (Stereophile) and assume the lower one (Erin) had a higher distortion system, or a bad unit or whatever. Contrary to pma, this amp is linear without significantly increasing THD above 20 kHz, so higher bandwidth should not impact much to justify 10 dB difference.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor

Loysius

Without having seen one of their amps in person, I think I'd find those meters too distracting. Do they move all the time, can you dim them out? Someone around here is sounding like the fox about the grapes, but I really can't decide if I like the look or not, they are like the Harley-Davidson's of amps for some reason to me, and I''m not fond of them.

It's nice they deliver though, for those that have got them, one more reason to feel good about their system.
Here is a pic with the meter light turned off.

Attachments

• 20230413_140925.jpg
    20230413_140925.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 127

radix

Major Contributor
Personally, I think the MC462 (450W @ 8-ohm for $10,000) is best compared to bridged mono AHB2 (380W @ 8-ohm for $6,800).

I went 2x AHB2 because of SWAP considerations (size, weight, and power). The 462 is a beast.

The MC312 (300 W @ 8-ohm, $7500) is probably the most comparable to the bridged AHB2, at least on rated power vs price.

index.php

index.php

Reactions: GDK

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Loysius

That mint green mcintosh would make me run away. No thats not nice. But ok its my taste, i never liked the look.
The green light is a little less sharp in real life but I can't get enough of the looks for myself. It really suites my aesthetic taste.

I'm glad to see the Mcintosh amp measures well enough since I purchased one. I got the Revel F328bes paired with it because of the good reception from Amir and Gene.

I'm surprised more Mcintosh isn't sent in for testing.

Top Bottom