• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mcintosh MA1200 coming this month.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I like how the Mc is extruded in the heatsinks.

Mc.PNG

And none of this fake Class D 1KHz @1% THD short term power ratings either.

Fully FTC Amplifier Rule compliant rating printed right on the amplifier. That, my friends is a big American iron amplifier. Something to be proud of and enjoy for many decades. (apart from tube replacements...)

1602287013291.png

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that I can remotely afford this. Or likely ever will be able to. But, I am a complete sucker for Mcintosh stuff. Thought some of you all might be, too.

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/integrated-amplifiers/MA12000

<<< Begin Copy/Paste from E-mail >>>

ma12000-lifestyle.ashx

McIntosh is proud to announce our new MA12000 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier.

The fully loaded, hybrid MA12000 Integrated Amplifier is a product of uncompromising audio engineering and expert craftsmanship. Our most powerful integrated amplifier ever, the feature rich MA12000 offers 350 Watts per channel of clean, high performance power that produces a breathtaking home audio experience. You will think your favorite musicians are playing a live, in-person performance in your house.

The MA12000 gives you the best of all worlds with the warm nuances of a vacuum tube preamplifier combined with the speed and raw power of a solid state amplifier, state-of-the-art digital audio capabilities, and enough analog audio connections for virtually any home music system.

The MA12000 is a hybrid design with the preamplifier section powered by (4) 12AX7A vacuum tubes (2 tubes per audio channel), while the 350 Watt power amplifier section employs a solid state design. McIntosh's Autoformer™ technology guarantees the speakers will always be capable of receiving that full 350 Watts whether they have 2, 4 or 8 Ohm impedance.

There are 10 analog inputs on the MA12000 plus 7 digital audio inputs that are located in the included DA2 Digital Audio Module. The DA2 has also received Roon Tested designation from Roon Labs, which can be especially useful when having an extensive library of digital music.

The top of the MA12000 is highlighted by updated industrial design elements. The Autoformers and power transformer are now contained in a new glass topped enclosure capped by a glass name plate encircled with a decorative trim ring. Key performance specifications and a detailed block diagram are printed on 5 glass panels.

Other MA12000 features include: Power Guard®; Sentry Monitor™; a pair of peak responding, trademarked "McIntosh Blue" Watt meters; McIntosh Monogrammed Heatsinks™; Home Theater PassThru; our patented Solid Cinch™ speaker binding posts; a discrete, eight-band tone control; High Drive headphone amplifier with Headphone Crossfeed Director (HXD®); Power Control; doubling of filter capacity compared to our other integrated amplifiers for even better low frequency performance; plus much more!

The entire unit is wrapped in the classic McIntosh aesthetic with a pair of blue watt meters, a black glass front panel, rotary control knobs, illuminated logo, aluminum end caps with built-in handles and a beautiful stainless steel chassis polished to a mirror finish. The MA12000 can be paired with a variety of turntables, CD players, music streamers, and speakers. Learn more!

Ordering

The MSRP of the MA12000 is $14,000 USD. It can now be ordered at your local authorized dealer with shipping expected to begin to the United States and Canada in October 2020, and to the rest of the world shortly thereafter.

Oh, my. Feeling a little bit woozy; better hold on to my wallet!

I know that McIntosh gear can be bettered for less in price, but damn that’s fetching!

Paperdragons

Not that I can remotely afford this. Or likely ever will be able to. But, I am a complete sucker for Mcintosh stuff. Thought some of you all might be, too.

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/integrated-amplifiers/MA12000

<<< Begin Copy/Paste from E-mail >>>

ma12000-lifestyle.ashx

McIntosh is proud to announce our new MA12000 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier.

The fully loaded, hybrid MA12000 Integrated Amplifier is a product of uncompromising audio engineering and expert craftsmanship. Our most powerful integrated amplifier ever, the feature rich MA12000 offers 350 Watts per channel of clean, high performance power that produces a breathtaking home audio experience. You will think your favorite musicians are playing a live, in-person performance in your house.

The MA12000 gives you the best of all worlds with the warm nuances of a vacuum tube preamplifier combined with the speed and raw power of a solid state amplifier, state-of-the-art digital audio capabilities, and enough analog audio connections for virtually any home music system.

The MA12000 is a hybrid design with the preamplifier section powered by (4) 12AX7A vacuum tubes (2 tubes per audio channel), while the 350 Watt power amplifier section employs a solid state design. McIntosh's Autoformer™ technology guarantees the speakers will always be capable of receiving that full 350 Watts whether they have 2, 4 or 8 Ohm impedance.

There are 10 analog inputs on the MA12000 plus 7 digital audio inputs that are located in the included DA2 Digital Audio Module. The DA2 has also received Roon Tested designation from Roon Labs, which can be especially useful when having an extensive library of digital music.

The top of the MA12000 is highlighted by updated industrial design elements. The Autoformers and power transformer are now contained in a new glass topped enclosure capped by a glass name plate encircled with a decorative trim ring. Key performance specifications and a detailed block diagram are printed on 5 glass panels.

Other MA12000 features include: Power Guard®; Sentry Monitor™; a pair of peak responding, trademarked "McIntosh Blue" Watt meters; McIntosh Monogrammed Heatsinks™; Home Theater PassThru; our patented Solid Cinch™ speaker binding posts; a discrete, eight-band tone control; High Drive headphone amplifier with Headphone Crossfeed Director (HXD®); Power Control; doubling of filter capacity compared to our other integrated amplifiers for even better low frequency performance; plus much more!

The entire unit is wrapped in the classic McIntosh aesthetic with a pair of blue watt meters, a black glass front panel, rotary control knobs, illuminated logo, aluminum end caps with built-in handles and a beautiful stainless steel chassis polished to a mirror finish. The MA12000 can be paired with a variety of turntables, CD players, music streamers, and speakers. Learn more!

Ordering

The MSRP of the MA12000 is $14,000 USD. It can now be ordered at your local authorized dealer with shipping expected to begin to the United States and Canada in October 2020, and to the rest of the world shortly thereafter.

I will preface this by saying the EQ controls are a nice touch and more companies should do this for when peace EQ isn’t an option.

Am I the I the only one who gags a little bit when looking at those pictures? It’s somehow gaudy, cheap looking, and overbuilt at the same time. To each their own but come on, this looks like a concept fab based off a 12 year old’s drawing of a howitzer tank in crayon.

win

I will preface this by saying the EQ controls are a nice touch and more companies should do this for when peace EQ isn’t an option.

Am I the I the only one who gags a little bit when looking at those pictures? It’s somehow gaudy, cheap looking, and overbuilt at the same time. To each their own but come on, this looks like a concept fab based off a 12 year old’s drawing of a howitzer tank in crayon.

They are WAY bigger in person, too

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s somehow gaudy, cheap looking, and overbuilt at the same time.
Gaudy--yes. Cheap--no. Overbuilt--probably.

Historically Mac gear was always overbuilt, never cheap, but usually understated, visually. Current product has taken that understated design language, grossly overstated it, and raised the price accordingly. It's sort of like the lighted star option you find on some Mercedes sedans. I mean, everyone knows it's a Merc, but some owners just want to stress the point.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Stereophile review of the MAC7200 receiver in the January 2021 issue hit me hard. The MAC7200 has been the receiver for years now that would have me replace my entire stack if I had a spare $7500 jangling around. Perhaps picking up that second, night job at UPS is an option...

Historically Mac gear was always overbuilt, never cheap, but usually understated, visually. Current product has taken that understated design language, grossly overstated it, and raised the price accordingly.

I agree the newer products pricing has rocketed skyward. At $7500, the MAC7200 compares with similar products from Accuphase and Luxman. Integrated amps have taken center stage as FM radio has fallen out of fashion, so the MAC7200 is in a class of relatively few. The MA1200, however, has a lot more direct competition at $14,000 (gasp!).

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...the MAC7200 compares with similar products from Accuphase and Luxman.

My bad. Even Luxman and Accuphase have moved away from receivers entirely to integrated amps. My desire for an anachronism is clearly evident.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a McIntosh ma7900 integrated which I really liked. No idea how it would measure. One thing missing from ASR 1 or two McInotsh measurements... a modern integrated, a modern amp would be really nice. But there were a few things that caused me to move on...
-No room eq. They have HT Processors with both Audyssey and Room Perfect. No excuse in this day and age not to have some models with the option.
-No sub integration, crossovers etc.
In my opinion, pricing isn't cheap, but they are build like a tank, most integrated and amps look nice, and they hold their value like no other brand it seems. But they have dropped the ball and instead focus on building larger and larger amps and integrated amps and ignore some practical things such as EQ and sub integration.
I miss the quality feel of the knobs/controls.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Somehow, this over-the-top design made me think of this:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My bad. Even Luxman and Accuphase have moved away from receivers entirely to integrated amps.
Did Accuphase ever make an all in one receiver? I recall several Luxman receivers. There was a time when Lux (might have been the Alpine days) went downmarket with a line of mid-range receivers and cassette decks. But that didn't last long, and didn't win them many friends.

I recall an acquaintance who bought one of the MAC receivers. It looked pretty plain--nothing special. I think it was about 40 watts/ch or so. At the time I couldn't believe he paid that much for so little horsepower. Later I read an article saying that the company couldn't make them fast enough to keep up with demand. Today, a vintage MAC receiver in good shape will run $1500.00 plus or minus. Pretty low depreciation.

MAC1700.jpg

Top Bottom