• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mcintosh MA1200 coming this month.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Not that I can remotely afford this. Or likely ever will be able to. But, I am a complete sucker for Mcintosh stuff. Thought some of you all might be, too.

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/integrated-amplifiers/MA12000

<<< Begin Copy/Paste from E-mail >>>

ma12000-lifestyle.ashx

McIntosh is proud to announce our new MA12000 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier.

The fully loaded, hybrid MA12000 Integrated Amplifier is a product of uncompromising audio engineering and expert craftsmanship. Our most powerful integrated amplifier ever, the feature rich MA12000 offers 350 Watts per channel of clean, high performance power that produces a breathtaking home audio experience. You will think your favorite musicians are playing a live, in-person performance in your house.

The MA12000 gives you the best of all worlds with the warm nuances of a vacuum tube preamplifier combined with the speed and raw power of a solid state amplifier, state-of-the-art digital audio capabilities, and enough analog audio connections for virtually any home music system.

The MA12000 is a hybrid design with the preamplifier section powered by (4) 12AX7A vacuum tubes (2 tubes per audio channel), while the 350 Watt power amplifier section employs a solid state design. McIntosh's Autoformer™ technology guarantees the speakers will always be capable of receiving that full 350 Watts whether they have 2, 4 or 8 Ohm impedance.

There are 10 analog inputs on the MA12000 plus 7 digital audio inputs that are located in the included DA2 Digital Audio Module. The DA2 has also received Roon Tested designation from Roon Labs, which can be especially useful when having an extensive library of digital music.

The top of the MA12000 is highlighted by updated industrial design elements. The Autoformers and power transformer are now contained in a new glass topped enclosure capped by a glass name plate encircled with a decorative trim ring. Key performance specifications and a detailed block diagram are printed on 5 glass panels.

Other MA12000 features include: Power Guard®; Sentry Monitor™; a pair of peak responding, trademarked "McIntosh Blue" Watt meters; McIntosh Monogrammed Heatsinks™; Home Theater PassThru; our patented Solid Cinch™ speaker binding posts; a discrete, eight-band tone control; High Drive headphone amplifier with Headphone Crossfeed Director (HXD®); Power Control; doubling of filter capacity compared to our other integrated amplifiers for even better low frequency performance; plus much more!

The entire unit is wrapped in the classic McIntosh aesthetic with a pair of blue watt meters, a black glass front panel, rotary control knobs, illuminated logo, aluminum end caps with built-in handles and a beautiful stainless steel chassis polished to a mirror finish. The MA12000 can be paired with a variety of turntables, CD players, music streamers, and speakers. Learn more!

Ordering

The MSRP of the MA12000 is $14,000 USD. It can now be ordered at your local authorized dealer with shipping expected to begin to the United States and Canada in October 2020, and to the rest of the world shortly thereafter.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the ""decorative trim ring" is where it's at!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In fairness to McIntosh -- that same component, were it sporting any of a number of audiophile product brand names other than McIntosh, would probably cost three to ten times as much.

The Mac stuff is doubtless expensive, but - I'd opine - it's not obscenely overpriced -- at least, when compared to many of the boutique hifi brands and products.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Interesting product. A lot of praise should go to the design/marketing team. They manage to simulatenously appeal to every audio camp at the same time.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Uncompromising?

Tubes, output transformers, analog tone controls, esthetics, price..

They don’t even dare spect the THD+N..

“Electromagnetic input selector”.. that’s just some fancy words for bunch or relays..

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
“Electromagnetic input selector”.. that’s just some fancy words for bunch or relays..

Reminds me of a catalog blurb I saw for (IIRC) decaffeinated black tea some years back, proclaiming that, instead of yucky chemicals (I paraphrase liberally), the product was instead decaffeinated "using Nature's pure effervesence". This is (was) marketing-speak for using supercritical fluid extraction (to wit, using carbon dioxide at incredibly high pressure as a solvent to extract and remove the caffeine) as opposed to the then-traditional method of using an old-school nonpolar organic solvent to remove most of the caffeine.

Nature's pure effervesence.
:rolleyes:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
White trim ring? Really looks out of place... Must be a target for something, UFO's?
8-band EQ... Why not offer PEQ so you can actually tweak what really needs tweaking?
Autoformers still going strong I see.
Is that a granite table it's sitting on? Better be... Visions of people putting it on the shelf and the shelf collapsing come to mind.

But, it's a Mac, people will love it.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I find that McIntosh gear tends to look hideous in pictures, but much better in person.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Not me, I think it's hideous, a complete mess that looks like it was designed by committee.
Probably happened just that way. Covered all their bases.

Top Bottom