• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh Class D

Fontie

only 6 grand..

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
£5,995

closer to $7k usd

i think reading the spiel its more geared towards in house installation... ie. you've got $50k of amps driving your mcmansion's inwalls

to me the design is kind of incongruous... why even bother with blue meters if its going to live in a wiring closet?

or you may as well go a stack of JBL or Sonance professional installation amps for less than the price of one of these

ocinn

to me the design is kind of incongruous... why even bother with blue meters if its going to live in a wiring closet?
So when you walk your rich friends around on a house tour, you can open the A/V closet and point.

https://worldofmcintosh.com/portfolio/wom-gallery/ - also judging from their demo townhouse in NYC, maybe they are trying to push the whole aesthetic art piece thing.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wondered by the model name 502 if it uses Hypex NCore NC502MP but nothing was written if it is a 3rd party or in house designed amp.

purrify

Module looks familiar (source)

Attachments

• mi502.png
    mi502.png
    428.4 KB · Views: 274

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Same modules they have implemented on previous class D (Hypex amps). And nothing wrong with it. Perhaps in some time they may end up updating to Nilai, or whatever Hypex names them on the OEM version.

wje

Forum Donor
£5,995

closer to $7k usd

i think reading the spiel its more geared towards in house installation... ie. you've got $50k of amps driving your mcmansion's inwalls

or you may as well go a stack of JBL or Sonance professional installation amps for less than the price of one of these

Initially, the reports on price appear to have been reported incorrectly. The US$$ cost for this amplifier is going to be $4,500.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Really wish they would proof the ad copy. Class D is not "digital".

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Really wish they would proof the ad copy. Class D is not "digital".
That train left a long time ago. Whoever assigned the letter D for the class is responsible.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DSJR

Major Contributor
Good that the ever-so-loyal Mac tribe can get a dose of state of the art if they so desire. They can afford the styling, no doubt expensive casework and good bloomin' luck to them as long as the input buffer doesn't mess things up.

Got so say that I'm more an Accuphase man meself - the looks on the current stuff is amazing to me and performance be damned :D I can't afford it but I can look can't I?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By that logic is class A "Analogue"?

And what of AB, G and H? :)
When the phrase “switched mode” and the letter D were used together, that was enough for our “informed” audio writers to label the class as digital.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It was just the next letter at the time. A, B, C, then along came D as the next clearly distinguishable class. E, F, G, and H followed. Crown (?) called their scheme class I for a while but it looks like an interleaved class D topology. AFAIK it is not an official designation. G and H is flipped between USA and Europe, I think, but that again may be Marketing not Engineering.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Good that the ever-so-loyal Mac tribe can get a dose of state of the art if they so desire. They can afford the styling, no doubt expensive casework and good bloomin' luck to them as long as the input buffer doesn't mess things up.

Got so say that I'm more an Accuphase man meself - the looks on the current stuff is amazing to me and performance be damned :D I can't afford it but I can look can't I?
Westside Warrior is currently using one and he seems to be quite happy beyond the meters dancing, so we can guess they implemented the modules right. :)

Top Bottom