• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh Announces MC3500 Vacuum Tube Amplifier Mk II

Calleberg

Someone needs to start making a preamp with DSP sound profile settings like Mac275, Conrad Johnson premier four or Krell KSA250. That way you can make your DIY ncore amps sound like a million bucks :)

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I was wondering when McIntosh would get around to re-introducing this model.

View attachment 163291
Real tube amps don't hide their tubes! Take a look at the below picture. One of my Quicksilver Silver 88 monoblocks - sold now since I went with a Luxman integrated.
1636241225198.jpeg

Of course if you want to sell in certain places - like Europe - you have to at least cage the tubes due to their safety regs.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I dunno... I am awfully partial to the original. :)

MC3500inside.jpg

... whole buncha TV horizontal output tubes (in both cases, of course) :)

Last edited:

Dogen

Forum Donor
I can’t find it in me to judge anyone who wants this. Pride of ownership, fondness for legacy technologies, and aesthetics are perfectly reasonable buying criteria. The resale value is good, so the true cost of ownership is pretty good for this brand.

D

Deleted member 39414

I buy big amps primarily for looks which is why I have a Yamaha. While I normally find McIntosh products look like strip clubs with all the green and shiny black, this original version is absolutely stunning. <checks budget/>

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 39414

I agree with hiding tubes with plate caps - a bit too ugly for my taste. On the other hand if you have high enough plate voltage on those plate caps in a darkened room - corona discharge could be fun!
Amp corona discharge will be the sexiest thing I hear all day.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I buy big amps primarily for looks which is why I have a Yamaha. While I normally find McIntosh products look like strip clubs with all the green and shiny black, this original version is absolutely stunning. <checks budget/>
In this case if I were you I would get a pair of these:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
While I normally find McIntosh products look like strip clubs with all the green and shiny black,
So what's your problem with strip clubs?
I've always found them warm and friendly places to be. :p

Top Bottom