• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Maximum USB 2.0 length for DAC?

consigliere-perroni

I was just wondering which would be the maximum USB 2.0 (I assume 2.0 is the popular choice for DAC manufacturers) length allowed before degradation starts, without the use of booster or active USB cables.

I personally intend to run a 23ft USB cable from my computer on one side of my room to my Gustard X-16 DAC on the other side of the room, I'm hopeful it works.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The Internet says 5 meters for USB 2.0. :(

It might work beyond that and the good news is that digital degradation is usually obvious... You'll usually get clicks & pops, or it won't work at all... you don't get slight treble roll-off or the kind of things that happen with analog degradation.

...This isn't a perfect analogy, but a digital error in your bank account (such as a flipped bit) is just as likely to cause a million dollar error or a 1-cent error.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
23ft is a bit too much for usb, i would go with optical USB recommendation.

Top Bottom