• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix X Sabre Pro vs. Holo Level 3

jjk

Forum Donor
I know Amir has not reviewed the Holo and the Matrix rates as the best ever.
Are there any opinions on choosing between the two? It seems like the Matrix is hard to beat...
Holo does get good subjective reviews.
I have no interest in MQA and DSD doesn't do much for me.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Just looked at the stereophile review. R2R. Must be a terrific performer. Buy one, submit it for measurement. Then you know.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know Amir has not reviewed the Holo and the Matrix rates as the best ever.
Are there any opinions on choosing between the two? It seems like the Matrix is hard to beat...
Holo does get good subjective reviews.
I have no interest in MQA and DSD doesn't do much for me.
Thanks for any suggestions.

I’ve measured Holo Spring 1 with much better results than JA at Stereophile. But here are JA’s results:

https://www.stereophile.com/content...ned-edition-level-3-da-processor-measurements

OP
jjk

jjk

Forum Donor
Yes, thanks. I have seen that.
They really weren't A+measurements as opposed to the Matrix measurements which were.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, thanks. I have seen that.
They really weren't A+measurements as opposed to the Matrix measurements which were.

My measurements of Holo Spring looked a lot better:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ts-of-holo-audio-spring-dac.5869/#post-136666

I’ve done some more tests recently, SINAD is about -103dB, and low jitter, multi-tone result looks pretty clean, so nothing to complain about. NOS mode though requires a high PCM or DSD rate for best results. For an R2R DAC this is not at all bad:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...dac-r2r-dsd512/?do=findComment&comment=997919

But, not in the same league as the Matrix as far as measurements are concerned.

OP
jjk

jjk

Forum Donor
p-
Wanted to clarify that I use I2s exclusively.
But I don't employ a DDC.
My I2S input is straight out of a streamer; the Pink Faun streamer with an I2S bridge. This is actually a MCH device. I have decoded six channels using 3 different DACS, 2 x Holo and one Matrix. I have always had the Matrix on the surrounds but through experimentation swapping, I have to come to regard the Matrix as sounding better. Seems to be backed up by Amir's and your measurements.
I am currently considering replacing the Holos with another Matrix and the new Topping.
thanks for the discussion and the measurements! Keep it going if you like, much appreciated.

Top Bottom