• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix X-Hi Card: Can someone explain why this could be useful?

heita0

What exactly is the purpose of this product? What does it change compared to a regular USB port? I thought digital signals cannot be affected by all that audio jazz. What even is USB noise? Isn't it just an exact stream of 1s and 0s agnostic to physical context (malfunction aside)?

Matrix are a very respected brand, so I'd love to learn what I'm not understanding here. Why might a person get this for their computer?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
To take your money. At best case (if it really really works which I doubt) you will get 3~4 dB more of SINAD if you use a portable dongle alike DAC. Most desktop ones will have a separate power input and regulation of their own. Most absurd part regarding this PCIe USB is power supply input at 9~12V. Besides aluminium is not a best IEM shielding. It also blocks the air flow to GPU (quite effectively).

Last edited:
OP
heita0

heita0

Unexpected from Matrix. The use case @VintageFlanker intimates is also tenuous, which I have no doubt he will agree with. At ~$300 for the card, you can just get a decent DAC.

Top Bottom