• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix HPA-3B a good choice?

OP
xevman

xevman

Yeah I did use my 4pin xlr to 1/4inch adapter. It cut the output by quite a bit and gives me more range on the volume control. Its almost like having a second gain stage haha.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
It should pair with every cans because:
- it has plenty of power (1.5W/single ended, 4.5W/balanced operation)
- less than 1 Ohms output impedance @1KHOhm
- it doesn't oscillate on capacitive loads
- it has a very low phase shift across audio band
- flat freq. response
- on lowest gain I can use all of my IEMs

I estimate that HD800 will do just fine on both low and mid gain settings. The max gain setting is too high for this headphone, so it will probably be OK with HE5, HE6 from Hifiman.

If you can find a used one at a good price, just try it first with your most sensitive headphone, then with your most hard to dive headphone. Check for background noise and mains hum , but also for "driveability" and audio quality.

FireLion

Yes, pls. It's listed now at 299€ in EU !!!

Actually not a bad price and you can roll opamps. I will consider getting one if it pops up on ebay again.
It is great with burson v5i-d's or opa1656's. I think it's discontinued but it's up there with 789, Jotunheim and LCX for SQ and performance.

Top Bottom