• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Element X2 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 81 29.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 130 47.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 46 16.9%

• Total voters

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Well, to be fair, the Element X reviewed in the past, was also placed in the DAC categories, same for the Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3 and both are DAC/Streamers. If we put the new Element X2 in the AVR/Streamers category, then it would rank at first place, right above the miniDSP FLEX TRS. Looks to me that a new category of Streamers should be added to the ranking list. What do you think, @amirm ?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
So I guess it would be the top chart network streamer. The price certainly says it should be.

PeteL

Major Contributor
So I guess it would be the top chart network streamer. The price certainly says it should be.
Maybe? At the end of the day, being the top at anything will always command a high price and it's totally OK with me. There are plenty of affordable electronics to choose from that work well and there's diminishing return after that. But the truth is, there are plenty of Network Streamers in this price range or more. But their buyers won't send that to Amir and I don't blame them, You just purchase a 5 kilobuck piece of equipment, you just want to enjoy it. We won't know if their measured performance metric is as good as this one (saying this without extensive research on specs or other available measurments). We can always say that they just have to send them in if they are confident. Sure, but let's note that Matrix did not send this in neither, a user did, and I am quite certain that ASR is not their target market, just by all the criticism Matrix get on their pricing here.
Here's a few example. Are they worth it? I don't know. For me, no they don't, for some, yes, they do, if not they would be out of business and all those companies are many decades old (much longer than Matrix by the way and it inspire confidence to some), Here are a few examples :

Overseas

Major Contributor
Maybe? At the end of the day, being the top at anything will always command a high price and it's totally OK with me.
I am really interested to understand how this works, because it seems kind of circular to me.
So, being top priced puts one to the 'top' ?!
Or is it top performance ?
Or general (marketing) consensus ?
What is it exactly that positions this device to the 'top' so that we, the users, agree to pay the to price in spite of not-so-top performance ?

PeteL

Major Contributor
I am really interested to understand how this works, because it seems kind of circular to me.
So, being top priced puts one to the 'top' ?!
Or is it top performance ?
Or general (marketing) consensus ?
What is it exactly that positions this device to the 'top' so that we, the users, agree to pay the to price in spite of not-so-top performance ?
The conversation was about the fact that this was the Top performer of all streamers measured on ASR. Well technically second after the previous version of this. why do you say "In spite of not-so-top performance" when there isn't any streamers on the market that measure better? At least on this site. Also, I don't think you should agree to pay the price, I said it's worth it for some. To pay a high price to obtain what measures the best.

Last edited:

Gio

Forum Donor

Burki

It's always hard to discuss here about higher priced equipment.
I'm owning a lot of different streamer (MA i2,MA mini i3, Lumin T2, HiFi Rose RS250, Naim Uniti Atom HE, Primare PRE35 Prisma, Primare SC15, 5 Logitech Touches and a lot of RPis...).
Matrix Audio (MA) stands for me solid products in the middle price area. Especially with the current series the products are well processed (the display is for example in the i2 much better than in the mini), but (and this is for me the not the point in streamers) the firmware isn't perfect, if you're not using Roon.
Support is good, but for me Lumin (and here we're in a bit higher price area) has the real best (I don't know, when Peter take his sleep) support of all and a nearly but free firmware.

On the other side I'd a lot of problems (primarily in hardware) with products from topping and then you can take it (afder 1-2 years) only into the waste...
Also HiFi Rose want to be "high end" and their products looking fine, but the the firmware is less then beta (only as Roon endpoints their streamers are working smooth) and the support/developer (are there any?) not able to solve critical problems.

So, higher priced products can have a better support (but It's not a must). Otherwise really cheap products don't have usually any real support, because this needs money and so it's cheaper to produce every half year a new product...

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
My experience with MA regarding firmware is the contrary. Yes, at initial release their products are plagued with bugs but they respond really fast regarding firmware updates. For instance, with the i2 I had an issue with network dropping and contacted Wei Cao @MatrixAudio and in less than 24 hours I had a firmware update (beta) available for download and it fixed the network issue. Currently own an i2 and X-SABRE3 and both performing without a single glitch. Matrix Audio devices are really tailored to work with Roon like any other device I have ever owned. In fact, Matrix Audio devices are the only streamers for sale at the Roon Store, I guess because reliability and good Roon integration.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

subframe

Am I correct that the HDMI ARC input on these is a stereo mix, not LR or other surround configuration?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Am I correct that the HDMI ARC input on these is a stereo mix, not LR or other surround configuration?
These are stereo components so it’s logical that the HDMI eARC input only handles and process what it can reproduce which is stereo.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Audiophonics just listed two brand new addition to the Matrix Element 2 line...

The Element X2 Pure, that now comes with the 9039Pro chip and some nonsense 4990€ MSRP (WTF, @MatrixAudio ?)
matrix-element-x2-pure-lecteur-reseau-wifi-airplay-2-dlna-2x-es9039pro-32bit-768khz-dsd512-mqa.jpg
matrix-element-x2-pure-lecteur-reseau-wifi-airplay-2-dlna-2x-es9039pro-32bit-768khz-dsd512-mqa...jpg

The Element P2 Power amp, which looks pretty cool.
matrix-element-p2-power-amplifier-class-d-stereo-2x230w-mono-1x850w-4-ohm.jpg
matrix-element-p2-power-amplifier-class-d-stereo-2x230w-mono-1x850w-4-ohm (1).jpg
matrix-element-p2-power-amplifier-class-d-stereo-2x230w-mono-1x850w-4-ohm (2).jpg
17504-matrix-element-p2-inpage2.jpg

Matrix integrated amps used to integrate ICEPower modules. What about this one, @MatrixAudio ?

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Audiophonics just listed two brand new addition to the Matrix Element 2 line...

The Element X2 Pure, that now comes with the 9039Pro chip and some nonsense 4990€ MSRP (WTF, @MatrixAudio ?)
View attachment 274005View attachment 274006

The Element P2 Power amp, which looks pretty cool.
View attachment 274007View attachment 274008View attachment 274009View attachment 274010
Matrix integrated amps used to integrate ICEPower modules. What about this one, @MatrixAudio ?
The dac with this power amp looks extremely neat. Would like to know modules used for the amp. @MatrixAudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

Arnas

Matrix got too comfortable with their pricing... X2 pure offer nothing more than Gustard x26pro as a dac, but cost more than 3 times as much!
When there was x sabre pro i thought: great price for solid product, but now they become like Chord, Dcs, Violectric.
Such a shame.
Was thinking about Sabre 3 with sabre 9039 chip, but i guess they will price it like 4k. Thanks no.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Honestly, I'm not the one that is going to get in an open discussion about price vs performance. Matrix Audio has a proven record of excellent performance, customer service and build quality. If you are happy with Gustard and Topping, then good for you. Personally, after selling my 6 months old Topping A90D super cheap, I'm not the one that is going to purchase any Topping or Gustard unit even if they perform top class. Gustard and Topping are still cheap for a reason.....

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Matrix got too comfortable with their pricing... X2 pure offer nothing more than Gustard x26pro as a dac, but cost more than 3 times as much!
Apples and oranges, again...
Is the X26PRO a streamer and headphones amp? Does it have a touchscreen?

Anyway, it is overpriced against regular Element X2.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Apples and oranges, again...
Is the X26PRO a streamer and headphones amp? Does it have a touchscreen?
Not to mention Roon Ready which that alone brings the price up substantially…

Arnas

I understand the thing about quality, but going from 3k (Element X) to 5k (Element X2 pure) they offered nothing more to the table.
Holo audio may look infinitely more expensive to make weighing 17kg in comparison to this 4kg while also having very good build quality and excellent performance... If someone wants exotic then i rather get May.
This product doesnt make sense to me.

Top Bottom