• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Element i

DarthVince

Because we have not passed ROON Ready certification. we are doing it now. hopefully we will finish it soon.

I am considering using one of these units along with active speakers, as my complete system. Is it best to wait until you have Roon Ready Certification? Not sure if the certification process will result in hardware/software changes.

Aspro

Definately possible!
I'm interested in an Element i and also an separate streamer. Could @MatrixAudio confirm that they make their own streaming board rather than buy in from another manufacturer (e.g. ConversDigital)? If so, could you say something about its specification?

If I attach storage to the Element i can it act as a server like an Auralic Aries Mini?

Last edited:

Aspro

I'm interested in an Element i and also an separate streamer. Could @MatrixAudio confirm that they make their own streaming board rather than buy in from another manufacturer (e.g. ConversDigital)? If so, could you say something about its specification?

If I attach storage to the Element i can it act as a server like an Auralic Aries Mini?
@MatrixAudio I would be grateful for a reply to my questions, especially server functionality. Thanks.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company

Sorry for the delay. It's an honor to answer your questions.
The streaming part is based on Freescale iMX6 dual core CPU processing board with Linux based OS running on it. We developed the OS by ourselves.
the music files in the attached storage only can be visited by element i through MA Remote app, cannot visited by other devices in the LAN.
Thakn you!

shaharidan

Forum Donor
Hello,
@MatrixAudio or maybe someone who owns an Element I could help?
I recently purchased an Element I new.
Everything works, but the volume seems very low.
I'm currently using Roon over a LAN, balanced output to Adam Audio T5V active speakers.
I also tried via RCA cables to a Yamaha AS-2000 integrated amp to passive speakers.
In both cases I need to turn the Matrix volume to max and the speaker or amplifier volume past half for it to even start getting loud.
In comparison I hooked up a Blue sound Node streamer, I don't have to turn things up much at all to get good volume.
Same with other inputs, phono, cd player to the amp.

I also streamed Tidal, same result.

I'm wondering if this is normal, or am I missing something?

Any help appreciated,
Mike

Last edited:

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Hello,
@MatrixAudio or maybe someone who owns an Element I could help?
I recently purchased an Element I new.
Everything works, but the volume seems very low.
I'm currently using Roon over a LAN, balanced output to Adam Audio T5V active speakers.
I also tried via RCA cables to a Yamaha AS-2000 integrated amp to passive speakers.
In both cases I need to turn the Matrix volume to max and the speaker or amplifier volume past half for it to even start getting loud.
In comparison I hooked up a Blue sound Node streamer, I don't have to turn things up much at all to get good volume.
Same with other inputs, phono, cd player to the amp.

I also streamed Tidal, same result.

I'm wondering if this is normal, or am I missing something?

Any help appreciated,
Mike
Can you connect your CD player to your element i over a Toslink optical cable to test it, (remember set the input channel of the element i to Optical), if the volume is normal, it means there's nothing wrong on the element i.

shaharidan

Forum Donor
Can you connect your CD player to your element i over a Toslink optical cable to test it, (remember set the input channel of the element i to Optical), if the volume is normal, it means there's nothing wrong on the element i.

I hooked up the CD player as instructed, results seemed to be the same.
Just to be clear, I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with the Element i, it's just that I have to turn up everything more than expected before it starts getting loud.
I'm wondering if there is a filter or something that is active, and if it gets turned off will blow out my components because they are up too high.

Here is what I'm seeing listening to a CD over an optical cable.
Active speakers volume at max, starting with element i turned all the way down.
I don't hear anything till element is at -75db.
Using sound meter on my phone with element at -50db phone measures volume in the room at 65.
element at -25db room volume measures 80db this is really plenty loud enough for me, but like I said I'm a little concerned about having everything so high.
element 1 at -10db room measured over 90, but I think it was louder and the app wasn't really working at this point.

If this is all as it should be than great, like I said I'm mostly being cautious.

Thanks,
Mike

Top Bottom